ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Running Problems

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Hi guys.

Ive had a few problems since getting my clio back after the belt had slipped.

Basically, the belt slipped but didnt snap. Belts where removed and changed, pulley where done to. It was all re-timed and now runs nicely and pulls strongly through the gears when driving.

The only problem im having is when the car is parked.

Sometimes and i say sometimes the car seems to wobble / vibrate when parked wether be on the drive or at a crossing. When the car is wobbling / vibrating i hear a funny popping from the exhaust. You can here this video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOWhiXVYA5U

I thought an engine mount might have gone or something. I did check all the mounts and they seem ok and are nice and tight.

After a few days of driving it like this i noticed that i was using a lot more fuel than i was before the belt slip. I was averaging about 28/32 which is really bad compared to the 38/42 i used to get.

So i looked through the on board computer and looked at my projected fuel and it just had the dashes but they where flasing. I had over half a tank and it still flashed. Also when my fuel got low the fuel light would come on as you would expect but then sometimes it would just turn itself off which my clio has never done before. Then it might turn back on 20 mile down the road.

This is what the on board computer looks like:

A72CtmoCEAABQpp.jpg

Now. I knew i needed a new lamba sensor so i went a head and bought a brand spanka.

Fitted this in the before cat hole, not the after cat as i knew this didnt really do much regarding the fuelling. This didnt resolve any of the above problems.

So finally tonight i got Owen to plug the car in and see what some of the reading are. The first column is without the car running, second is running.

Item
Ignition On
Car Running
Engine Speed
ABS Throttle Position
Air Tempreture
Engine Coolent
Intake Map
Ignition Timing Adv.
10.0 - 14.0
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1
3.9 - 16.5
Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1
02 Sensor Volt Bank 1 Sensor 1
0.090 - 0.750
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 Sensor 1
0.08.0 - 14.0
02 Sensor Volt Bank 1 Sensor 2
0.090 - 0.750
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 Sensor 2
Vehicle Speed
OO
Load Value
O37 - 41

When the car was running and the ignition timing was fluctuating up and down it change some of the other readings as you would expect.

I dont know if any of these readings are totally out of the window or what not.

If you have any readings from your 182 it would be great to compare them. If you spot anything that looks out of the ordinary please let me know.

I really dont want to spend anymore money on this at the moment. :(

Many thanks,
Sam!

Last edited:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Firstly, i don't like throwing the "timing out" excuse but for what its worth/gonna cost pop the end caps, lock the crank at TDC and check to see if the horse shoe fits.

If that's okay, compression test

Mick

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Its all been re timed now Mick. New cambelt, alternator belt. Everything. So I can't see that been a problem?

Like I say it only does it sometimes.

I drove to work yesterday and it didn't wobble / vibrate at all.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Nope. I was a lucky boy regarding that.

Like I say, some times it idles fine and doesn't vibrate / wobble, others it wobbles its tits off like in the video.
Its rather annoying now.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I don't know. Its never been dead quiet in fairness but I can't tell if its got louder as I can't remember what it sounded like beforehand.

That does sound really noisy! I thought that's what you were saying the problem was. Did you get the dephaser pulley done with the cambelt job? Also, what backbox is that?

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Its a Janspeed Exhaust.

That's not the problem no. The problem is with the fuel and the dashboard display not working and also the car wobbling.

I thought a sensor might of been broke as that's why it only does it sometimes. : /

I'm not sure tbh but they do need replacing at the same time as the cambelt job. Mine had just had the belts done when I bought it but they didn't replace the dephaser, so I had to get it all done again a year after it'd just been done.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Dephaser pulley wasn't changed.

But would that cause the car to wobble on idle and cause the fuel to display to break?

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Dephaser pulley wasn't changed.

But would that cause the car to wobble on idle and cause the fuel to display to break?

Silly to of not got it changed!!! now you will have to pay to get the belts done again :dapprove: best way to describe the dephaser has gone is your car will start/sound like a diesal.

those i don't know. are your engine mounts ok.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I'd be tempted to get the timing checked before doing anything.

if you hold 2k revs on does the engine lose the diesel type noise?

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm not bothered about the dephaser at the moment.

I'm bothered about the car wobbling and the poor fuel.

The engine mounts look fine and wouldn't it wobble all the time not just when its warm?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Timing out, vacuum leak, plug lead pinched under the plenum, sensor left unplugged?

i don't know how the fuel computer thing gets its readings so couldn't say if it was related to the poor running or not. Gonna be a case or trail and error I think :(