ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Second gear rattle/noise at 3000RPM

Clio 182
As in title I get a rattle/noise not really a grind but a noise which is odd enough to cause concern. I recently had a full cat back exhaust fitted, which has also started to rattle since this issue. I recently drove 200 miles and there was no problem at all, but it's been sat for a week since.

Anybody know if Fred@BTM does like a kinda health check? as i'm near Birmingham.

Cheers for any advice/haven't had the car that long.

Tom

Clio 172 phase 1
Mine does this only underload or on overrun it's mainly 2nd it's loudest but it's all through the gears ... Think it could be the clutch either the bearings dead or I've broken a bit of the clutch off and it's rattling around the box.... I have a bit of a bearing whine but no crunches into any gears unless at stoooopid rpm and changing too quick..... Could also be the input shaft of the box but usually you can hear that on idle pretty bad...

Clio 182
Thanks for the help, i'm going to check it out tmorro. I didn't really test whether it was just second gear as i just wanted to get her home. When I had my exhaust fitted the heat shield was in rough shape said the bloke, i have a strong feeling he bodge jobbed it.

Clio 182
Mine does this only underload or on overrun it's mainly 2nd it's loudest but it's all through the gears ... Think it could be the clutch either the bearings dead or I've broken a bit of the clutch off and it's rattling around the box.... I have a bit of a bearing whine but no crunches into any gears unless at stoooopid rpm and changing too quick..... Could also be the input shaft of the box but usually you can hear that on idle pretty bad...

when talking about the input shaft of the box, what would I hear at idle? I have a bad lumpy idle? But this is supposedly due to it being cammed but I have no proof of this which therefore I assume it's not been cammed and just one of the injectors is out.

Clio 172 phase 1
They idle lumpy as hell anyhow mines almost so lumpy it feels like it could stall some cold days !! The imput shaft sounds like some ones emptyed a bag of ball bearings into a washing machine its that sort of rattle but you can hear that constantly as by the sound of urs and mine its only when the clutch is engaged and at load it makes a noise ... my pedal is very stiff more so than usal ive driven a couple now and mines heavy usally clutches get heavy when they come to an end so im asuming its the fact im on 99k and original clutch.... urs sounds like u have the same problem as me so hopefully some one can confirm this.... but i only hear of the synchro going on these boxes which is just crunching when changing gear ( which we dont have )

Clio 182
They idle lumpy as hell anyhow mines almost so lumpy it feels like it could stall some cold days !! The imput shaft sounds like some ones emptyed a bag of ball bearings into a washing machine its that sort of rattle but you can hear that constantly as by the sound of urs and mine its only when the clutch is engaged and at load it makes a noise ... my pedal is very stiff more so than usal ive driven a couple now and mines heavy usally clutches get heavy when they come to an end so im asuming its the fact im on 99k and original clutch.... urs sounds like u have the same problem as me so hopefully some one can confirm this.... but i only hear of the synchro going on these boxes which is just crunching when changing gear ( which we dont have )

haha I don't think it's the input shaft then! My clutch pedal is also very stiff, but I still have a strong feelings it's to do with my new exhaust (heatsheild shagged) read somewhere that at a certain rev range it makes a horrid sound, which i'm sure it is but i'll investigate when its not raining.

Clio 182
On further inspection it sounds as if the noise is coming from the engine bay so now i'm worried as i'm away from home. I'll get someone to take it up to 3000rpm later so I can confirm where abouts it's coming from and hopefully not ancillary wise!

Clio 172 phase 1
Have a look at the exhaust mani to cat bolts i noticed 1 of mine are loose!!!! And when wobbled the noise is exactly the same!! Could be nothing but worth a check

Clio 182
Have a look at the exhaust mani to cat bolts i noticed 1 of mine are loose!!!! And when wobbled the noise is exactly the same!! Could be nothing but worth a check

I think it might be the cat to centre section flange blowing, but i'm gona have a proper look later when i've got a second pair of hands

Clio 172 phase 1
Big ass bolt on the underside of the alternator ?? It still there ive had mine come out and it make a horrific noise must of rattled loose off the belt vibration... think its a m13 with a 16mm head its a pig to get bk in ... best way it run the car get a mate yo rev it to the noise and then apply force to the alternator to ( dampen it ) see if the noise goes away or become quieter :)

Clio 182
Big ass bolt on the underside of the alternator ?? It still there ive had mine come out and it make a horrific noise must of rattled loose off the belt vibration... think its a m13 with a 16mm head its a pig to get bk in ... best way it run the car get a mate yo rev it to the noise and then apply force to the alternator to ( dampen it ) see if the noise goes away or become quieter :)

Thanks for the help ;)