ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Steering Problem

I have had my 182 for bout 6 months, have noticed recently something odd with my steering wheel. Whenever i pull out of a junction to the right or a sharp right the steering wheel never re centers, i then carry on down the road holding the sterring wheel about a inch to the right to stop it pulling to the left. However when i then do a sharp left or pull out from the left it will re centre and the wheel stays straight until i do another sharp right. I have had the tracking checked by a couple of places but its never been more than 1mm out. I have new tyres on the front and i check the tyre pressures once a week and they are spot on. Its not the camber on the road as it does it on every road i go on whether its flat tarmac or a crap b raod. Nothing is affected when cornering though. Anybody have any ideas on what could be causing this?

[Edited by Ians_182 on 28 March 2005 at 10:13pm]

Shhh

If the tracking is centred then i think its one of them you have to deal with. I dont normally look at the steering wheel when driving so dont really notice it.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

I know exactly what you mean Ian - Ive spotted somthing similiar in my mine. Im wondering if its something to do with the length of the driveshafts in accordance to the position of the gearbox? Im no engineer, but on my GT, the near-side front would always wear/accelerate quicker and generally get more stick than the right-hand wheel. This, I always put down to the fact that it was the close proximity of the gearbox to that side? Perhaps the power transfer through the transmission doesnt reset properly when the wheel it turned in one direct too much...

Anyway, I dont even know where the gearbox is on the 182 and therefore could be talking straight out of my arse, but its a thought?!

D.