ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 vs. 200 for daily use

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I love my 200. It has cup suspension which can be a little hard but compared to my 182 which was on cooksport springs but the 200 is infinitely better to live with.

It's way way more refined inside as well.

If you do go for a 200 make sure it's got the 'right' seats in it :wink:

Clio 200 at 70 mph is around 4K RPM in 6th gear.....i thought the ratios wouldve been a lot longer. And with an Akra fitted that is a very loud drone on the motorway..

Really!?
Mine sits just above 3k..
Sitting at 75 for me is killer at around 3.5k, with the non-res scorpion, drones a lot at that rev range.
At 4k the droning stops.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
They're not the best cars for a daily, the 200. The 182 would be a better bet.
For everything else though, the 200 kills the 182. Coming from someone that's had both for six years plus, each.

GTD, Lupo
I have had a couple of 200s but fortunately I never needed to use them as a daily. Fuel economy is very bad, one averaged 30mpg and the other 24mpg, no idea why they were so different apart from my first one was a 2009 and the second was a 2012. Amazing cars to drive but I would never have wanted to use it for my daily commute.

B9 Audi A4 Sport
I'd say save some cash and go for a well-sorted 182. Better on fuel, no common flat-spot (not that i'm aware of anyway), still has all the toys as standard (so long a you don't go for a Cup model), kangarooing shouldn't be as much as an issue (if at all) while the engine warms up. They just seem more suited to daily driving.

I personally prefer their smaller dimensions aswell and they are lighter. Obviously, they are also a bit older so you might have a few more little niggles. You can get small patches of rust on these but they seem to hold up very well in general. Certainly nothing like most German cars of similar vintage.

Clio Trophy
I'd say save some cash and go for a well-sorted 182. Better on fuel, no common flat-spot (not that i'm aware of anyway), still has all the toys as standard (so long a you don't go for a Cup model), kangarooing shouldn't be as much as an issue (if at all) while the engine warms up. They just seem more suited to daily driving.

I personally prefer their smaller dimensions aswell and they are lighter. Obviously, they are also a bit older so you might have a few more little niggles. You can get small patches of rust on these but they seem to hold up very well in general. Certainly nothing like most German cars of similar vintage.
If I am to sell the Trophy, and it is still an if, I won't be stepping back into another 182. Would rather have a change.

B9 Audi A4 Sport
If I am to sell the Trophy, and it is still an if, I won't be stepping back into another 182. Would rather have a change.

Fair enough. It seems like you've already made your mind up in that case.

The Clio 200's have really come down in price now and some can be had for an absolute bargain.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Doesn't sound difficult unfortunately! I wish manufacturers would have 6th as a tall gear for cruising.

that was always the mk3s appeal it was never compromised, the short 6th gear was s**t on the motorway but when you change at the shift light in 5th and it only drops about 300rpm then its fantastic when your pushing on!

RS Clio 182
Doesnt that tell you that the 200 was more made for the track than a daily - the short 6th gear where it only drops 300rpm from 5th - surely they couldve made that a lot longer! Also,the chassis feels more 'alive' than a 182 - if i have things in my 200 cabin,they move around a lot more (eg a pint of milk) then they did in my 182. It seems they went a bit more hardcore when making the 200 - its perfect for a weekend track/b-road toy - but for an everyday motorway/rush hour commuter,its very tiresome to drive imo.

I daily my 200, and I don't think it's a very good daily..

But I work early shift so I'm on the road at 5:30am and 2pm, and my route is 4 miles of town and a 5 mile windy B class road (almost a farm road).

If I were using the motorway and in traffic for my commute, I'm sure I'd hate the 200. Fortunately I'm not so I love it.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
R26 engine swaps pay for themselves in a few years from the increased mpg.

...I'm sure.

Re the gearbox... If/when I need mine rebuilding, I'm really considering a longer sixth if it's possible.
Get a 200 'box, but it's marginal. Mine's still poo for economy.
When mine sh*ts itself, I'll be throwing an LSD in there. No brainer.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Yeah, they only had the shorter box for a year and a half iirc. Changed in the last half of 2007. Which is my cars reg lol. Lucky

Jesus. Ten years ago lol
Yeah. Lol. It's strange to think that the earliest Mk3's are now over ten years old.