ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182's... the crappest car to drive in snow?!

57 Ibiza Formula Sport
yesterday i couldn't get to uni because my car just wouldn't move in the snow (apart from sideways!) and then today i tried to park the car on the drive (slight slope) and had to give up after flooring it in 1st just made the tyres spin and got me nowhere even though my dad's fiesta managed to get up the drive no problem. is it the tyres or something?! excuse my blonde-ness in asking this but i'm a girl, therefore i'm allowed ;)

ff 182
yesterday i couldn't get to uni because my car just wouldn't move in the snow (apart from sideways!) and then today i tried to park the car on the drive (slight slope) and had to give up after flooring it in 1st just made the tyres spin and got me nowhere even though my dad's fiesta managed to get up the drive no problem. is it the tyres or something?! excuse my blonde-ness in asking this but i'm a girl, therefore i'm allowed ;)
I agree,its my first winter with mine and they aint the best.

57 Ibiza Formula Sport
oi boys, i'm a good driver i'll have you know :p

ive had the 182 for 18 months so obviously had it last winter too, but didn't notice how crap the grip on the tyres is as the drive where i lived last yr was flat!

how can i get up a sloped drive without being in 1st gear?!!!!! surely not possible?! im not that thick :p

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
oi boys, i'm a good driver i'll have you know :p

ive had the 182 for 18 months so obviously had it last winter too, but didn't notice how crap the grip on the tyres is as the drive where i lived last yr was flat!

how can i get up a sloped drive without being in 1st gear?!!!!! surely not possible?! im not that thick :p

lol, put the car in second and go slowly

Lower revs its easy enough.

57 Ibiza Formula Sport
hmm think i'll just leave it across the road instead of trying and going into the fence!
the bf parked outside my house on the slope last night and half an hr later we got a knock at the door asking if it was our car that was in the middle of the road! the joys of living on a hill :(

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Woman +thinking she's a good driver+ snow i'm satying in!

Put some grit on your drive?

Chav Rocket
hmm think i'll just leave it across the road instead of trying and going into the fence!
the bf parked outside my house on the slope last night and half an hr later we got a knock at the door asking if it was our car that was in the middle of the road! the joys of living on a hill :(

turn wheels so car rolls towards pavement next time and put it in an oppsing gear. oh the handbrake helps too lol

57 Ibiza Formula Sport
so HE can manage it? :p

no lol, he didnt attempt the drive. he just thought he'd be clever and park at the side of the house... resulting in the handbrake not holding and the car ending up in the middle of the road! i had the intelligence to park on the flat across ;)

the purpose of this thread was to ask why 182's appear harder to drive than cars like fiestas in the snow?! not so you can all take the piss out of my driving abilities (or lack of) :( lol

Rally bus
Go and find your nearest Council salt/grit bin, pinch some, put it on your drive, problem solved.

Just done my drive in preparation for the snow tomorrow :dead:

57 Ibiza Formula Sport
again, im not asking for common sense ways of clearing the snow on my drive. i just wanted to know if and why 182's seem to be harder to move!

The 182 is a complete spanner in the snow. I've been driving for a long time. I've never had problems in snow & ice until I got my 182. Impossible to drive.

Pulling away in 3rd gear at virtual idle, TC on or off, and going backwards...brakes may as well be disabled as they are useless. I'd normally agree with 'driver error' arguments, but in the case of the 182 it really can be a pain on certain drives. Worst car I've ever driven in the snow. Worse even than my old mans S2000.

clio 182 & Fiesta RSTurbo
well think about that one carefully, your dads fiesta will have hardly any power compared to your clio.

FWD + lots of power + snow and ice = no chance specially on a slope.

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
again, im not asking for common sense ways of clearing the snow on my drive. i just wanted to know if and why 182's seem to be harder to move!

Off the top of my head: If its a little engined fiesta, then it'll have much less power then the 182, therefore it'll be easier to modulate the throttle to keep the revs as low as possible. Secondly it'll probably have narrower tyres which make a big grip difference in snow, and ice to a degree........ The wider the tyres, the more the vehicle will tend to 'sit' on top of the snow/ice.

57 Ibiza Formula Sport
ta roy :) i forgot the useless brakes too!

so basically 182's are just poo in the snow yeah? i hope my bf doesn't read this cos we have many arguments over cars as he thinks his toyota celica is "miles better"... hmm lol

Yeah probably a lot of factors. Mostly it's a light car on wide, performance tyres. Compacted snow or ice, cold rubber with a tin of beans pressing over each axle = fail.

57 Ibiza Formula Sport
it's a 1.4 fiesta btw. i thought it'd be cos of the tyre size difference & not the fact i'm a girl :)

Rally bus

Sorry... just trying to help as you didn't seem to have much of a clue about driving on snow/ice :S

I assume your Clio has wider tyres than the Fiesta? Wider tyres go over the surface of the snow/ice more, skinnier tyres cut through it more thereby giving better traction.

alien green rs133
fat/bald tyres are pants in snow

works 1.2's with skinny tyres will go anywhere, my 1.2 with wide tyres is like piloting a bin lid on snow :D

clio 182 & Fiesta RSTurbo
ta roy :) i forgot the useless brakes too!

so basically 182's are just poo in the snow yeah? i hope my bf doesn't read this cos we have many arguments over cars as he thinks his toyota celica is "miles better"... hmm lol

His celica is s**t compared to your clio, unless it's a gtfour or the Tsport.

Newer shape has less power and weighs more = clio 1 celica 0