ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 / 200 advice please

Clio 1.2/ Impreza Type R
Hi Guys,

Im looking at options for a new clio sport. I am currently looking into a new 200 cup. I was wondering if a "sorted" 197 would be comparible to a 200. My theory being I will be able to get a well speced 197 for a lot less than a 200 and spend a bit improving it. I was thinking if I was to spend some money fitting coilovers etc would the 197 be as good as the 200 or not. ????

Swift Sport
I have a 197, remapped with coilovers and a cage. I've done about 10 trackdays in it. I've come across a few 200's and we're pretty even. Usually down to the driver. The 200 will be the better car, but the 197 is the cheaper and prettier option lol :)

Clio 1.2/ Impreza Type R
That is the line kinda line i was thinking along Im sure a well speced 197 will give the 200 a run for its money plus ure right about it being better looking the front end is much nicer

PS 200
That is the line kinda line i was thinking along Im sure a well speced 197 will give the 200 a run for its money plus ure right about it being better looking the front end is much nicer
I think you should only take advice on this from people who have actually moved from a 197 to a 200.

To sum up I've not read anything on here from folk who have saying they regretted it at all.

Swift Sport
Even a bog standard non-cup 197 is a decent car, although coilovers do transform it. As for remapping I don't think it made mine any faster, but the powerband is much smoother and it doesn't seem to lack torque as much at low revs as it did before.

Swift Sport
I think you should only take advice on this from people who have actually moved from a 197 to a 200.

To sum up I've not read anything on here from folk who have saying they regretted it at all.

What about people who have driven both round a track?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I hate 197's. Except ste's, by a mile the quickest I've come up against! Not sure on 200's, I'm booking a test soon with a view to buying if I like.

Clio 1.2/ Impreza Type R
hmmmm think I might just get the 200 and be done with it then i cant say what if

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Even a bog standard non-cup 197 is a decent car, although coilovers do transform it. As for remapping I don't think it made mine any faster, but the powerband is much smoother and it doesn't seem to lack torque as much at low revs as it did before.

Yours is a freak. It's noticeably quicker in a straight line than every 197 I've seen. Also helps that you're a bit mental, and have zero fear lol.

Swift Sport
Yours is a freak. It's noticeably quicker in a straight line than every 197 I've seen. Also helps that you're a bit mental, and have zero fear lol.

To be fair though most other 197/200 drivers I come across just don't push their cars particularly hard, or if they do they're not trying hard enough. Maybe they just think they do lol.

GTD, Lupo
I hate 197's. Except ste's, by a mile the quickest I've come up against! Not sure on 200's, I'm booking a test soon with a view to buying if I like.

:eek:

A 200??

Take back what i said you have been quite nice :D

Paul

Last edited:

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5

What does that prove??

Who in there right mind is going to admit chopping in a 197 & a hunk of cash for a 200 & not liking it!!!

Then again most are on finance anyway :quiet:

GTD, Lupo
What does that prove??

Who in there right mind is going to admit chopping in a 197 & a hunk of cash for a 200 & not liking it!!!

Nothing wrong with finance if the deposit is high and interest is low. With my deposit i could have only got something real crap like a mx...

:rasp:

Gorms

Last edited:
  PS 200
What does that prove??

If I didn't like my 200 I would be the first to try and help a fellow enthusiast avoid making the same mistake.

If I'd come from a 197 and into a 200 and it was exactly the same car then I would help the OP out by advising him to go the route of the 197.

Fact is that there seems the a lot of folk on here who own 197s - test drive 200s - then come on here raving about how they would get one if it weren't so fugly.

Cayman S Edition 1
I had a 197 (on eibachs and remapped), then a trophy and now a 200. My personal opinion is the 200 is the best so far as all the 197 niggles have been fixed, plus the cup pack gives it excellent handling like the Trophy except better IMO.

To be honest though there's not much in it and if the 197 is more affordable then get one mate. It's down to personal preference and of course budgets end if the day. I've just been lucky to have had all 3....

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
With my deposit i could have only got something real crap like a mx...

:rasp:

Gorms

Maybe you should of used it to buy a house & stop living with mummy :rasp:

But unlike you, when i sell i'll make money;)

GTD, Lupo
Maybe you should of used it to buy a house & stop living with mummy :rasp:

But unlike you, when i sell i'll make money;)

I have a house thanks :D but dont never get to see it as im always abroad with work :( or at work.

Oh well. Dont forget to take you clippers out the boot when you do sell it ;)

As Ste said the wise choice would be get a 197 if cost is the issue if not get the 200 :D

Paul