ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Buyers Guide

Hey guys, looking to get a 197 f1 edition possibly towards the end of the month/middle of next month.

Just wondering if there is a buyers guide?

I.e. what to look for/optional extras etc

I'd like the spoiler, climate control and recaros, are they all standard (except the spoiler which I think is the cup style pack?) I'm not too bothered about anything else as long as it is mechanically good and the interior has no wear and the usual no accidents etc.

Where is a good place to look aswell? I'd like to get it from either a dealer or another enthusiast.

Also what about tuning packages? I believe from reading most are about 180bhp? I would probably try and get cams/ITG filter (Heard induction kits lose power?) and remap to boost it back up to 200.

I'd have around £7500 for the car and £1500 to do any required mods/buy anything that needs sorting. Or would it be better to put the £9000 and get a 200 cup?

I'm still looking at other options (Golf GTi, Astra VXR, Corsa VXR) but so far for overall package the Clio is winning. I need something for driving 10 miles to work everyday and something fun!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Climate was an option, as were projectors and xenons. I don't think the cup spoiler was available when the R27 came out, so if it has one it's likely to have been fitted afterwards. Recaros were standard, however keep your eye out for wear on the bolsters, this can be fixed relatively cheaply though.

All R27's will be due a belt now (well either already due, or due in the very near future) so try and pick one up that has had it done, however - check who did it!

Personally I prefer my R27 over a 200 cup (remember a cup won't have keycard entry, climate etc) however if you can pick up a good spec 200 FF then that may be worth while.

It all depends what you prefer really. Probably worth a look on www.clio197.net too.

Climate was an option, as were projectors and xenons. I don't think the cup spoiler was available when the R27 came out, so if it has one it's likely to have been fitted afterwards. Recaros were standard, however keep your eye out for wear on the bolsters, this can be fixed relatively cheaply though.

All R27's will be due a belt now (well either already due, or due in the very near future) so try and pick one up that has had it done, however - check who did it!

Personally I prefer my R27 over a 200 cup (remember a cup won't have keycard entry, climate etc) however if you can pick up a good spec 200 FF then that may be worth while.

It all depends what you prefer really. Probably worth a look on www.clio197.net too.

Thats great thanks Chris!

Few questions.

What is keycard entry? and what would be better to go for, projectors or xenons?

How can you fix the wear on the bolsters cheaply? Would it not need a new seat?

And what does FF mean? :eek:

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Thats great thanks Chris!

Few questions.

What is keycard entry? and what would be better to go for, projectors or xenons?

How can you fix the wear on the bolsters cheaply? Would it not need a new seat?

And what does FF mean? :eek:

All the 197s and 200s (bar CUP only models) feature Renaults keyless entry and go system. As long as you have the key with you you can open the door and start the car with the start button.

Xenons are the best headlights, then projectors, then the standard headlights.

With the Recaros - there is a trader on here (R-Sport Cars) that offers a repair package. I recently had one of mine done for £125. It's a replacement piece of fabric and looks completely factory finish.

FF - Full Fat. Basically any Clio 197/200 bar the CUP models. You can still have the CUP suspension set-up but also have the option of climate control, keyless entry, colour coded rubstrips etc etc etc

Hope that helps

All the 197s and 200s (bar CUP only models) feature Renaults keyless entry and go system. As long as you have the key with you you can open the door and start the car with the start button.

Xenons are the best headlights, then projectors, then the standard headlights.

With the Recaros - there is a trader on here (R-Sport Cars) that offers a repair package. I recently had one of mine done for £125. It's a replacement piece of fabric and looks completely factory finish.

FF - Full Fat. Basically any Clio 197/200 bar the CUP models. You can still have the CUP suspension set-up but also have the option of climate control, keyless entry, colour coded rubstrips etc etc etc

Hope that helps

Thank you very much!

197 F1 edition it is for me then :)

Perfect one will be:

197 F1 Edition in Red/Black
Climate Control
Cruise Control
Xenons
Recaros
Cup Style Pack
New Camblet
Anthracite wheels
Around 30,000 miles

Time to keep a look out!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Cruise, Recaros and Anthracite wheels are all standard on an F1 mate

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Hi AJR6, i have a red 197 which i use for work everyday, about 10 miles, the recaros are a must they are superb seats, full fat with black speedlines and a cup spoiler, just like chris has already posted other than that a panel filter is the only mod you will need and a decent set of tyres, you will never get bored of driving a 197 they are great fun. The golf gti is good but so expensive and i think the build quality is just as good in late 197 as for the corsa vxr my daughter has one and it seems to spend a lot of time in county motors at chelmsford but with the turbo they feel quicker, if you want you are welcome to have a go in mine, :race:

Hi nightrider renault, thats a great offer and I may take you up on that! Thanks!

The reliability of the corsa's is what puts me off, if I lose the car I am a bit knackered to get to work (I have a motorbike but in the heavy rain/snow/ice it's no good) and from the sounds of things the gear box is weak and so is the turbo!

Meves, I have seen that on clio197.net and it is great. I was actually looking at flights to aberdeen but I think the 500mile return trip might be a bit too much.

Do you know him? Because I wouldn't be able to test drive it either!!

Fiesta ST200
The Clio over the corsa every day.

Clio is a drivers car, corsa is a chavs car. Simples.

I also had the same decision to make when I went from a 182 to my 200. I stuck with Renault sport and I'm glad now.

Hahaha fair play!

I think I am settled on a 197 F1 edition. Purely because I don't feel the 200's are worth the extra money.

Thanks for everyones input, at the weekend....car shopping!! :D

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
It's a full fat with cup pack mate.

It has climate control, which you can't get on a cup. Also it has colour coded rub strips and the line of stitching at the top of the steering wheel.

Don't buy it though, it's got the awful graphite pack (or whatever it's called)

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
on a 200 the easiest way is-

Climate control as standard + Colour coded bump strips + Spotlights

S

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
The nose of the car is in a grey colour instead of gloss black, I think the rear diffuser got the same horrid treatment also (and maybe some interior parts)

Of course it's just my opinion, and you may actually like it!

Haha I do kind of like it! I was considering wrapping it in black so I think it would work well against that!

I thought you were going to say that it was damaged! lol