ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Cams Fitted Where To Get It Mapped ?

197 cam'd ph2 berg
Just a quick one im sure theres been loads of threads about this but cant find an answer to my question, recently had some 197 cams fitted by mike at mwm and have just got the car back on the road and wanted to know how safe is it running them without a map? (i.e how high can it safely be revved without a map?) and also where would be best to get it mapped?

Thanks

Jake:eek:

197 cam'd ph2 berg
Errr, try asking Mike @ S&MWM for the first question, and then again for the second - he'll do it for you!

I have already pm'd him the other day just thought I'd see what everyone else has to say while I await a response :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Avoid going past 5K IMHO just to be on the safe side till Mike maps it for you. They can run a little lean and these engines hate that as the pistons are made so poorly.

197 cam'd ph2 berg
Avoid going past 5K IMHO just to be on the safe side till Mike maps it for you. They can run a little lean and these engines hate that as the pistons are made so poorly.

Yea thats the highest iv dared as i thought that would be the case that it would lean out...

If your in Bedford then it might be worth speaking to dan@519 as he's in Bedford for the mapping.

Yea I have considered this but was unsure as to whether he would be able to map the 197 cams as I know chip and mike are one of only a few iv heard of to get good reliable results from them....

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If your in Bedford then it might be worth speaking to dan@519 as he's in Bedford for the mapping.

I'd much sooner trust it to MWM than Ktec based on the cars ive seen done by each, but I must confess to being a friend of Mike's so feel free to take my opinion with a pinch of salt but I am just being totally honest.

197 cam'd ph2 berg
I'd much sooner trust it to MWM than Ktec based on the cars ive seen done by each, but I must confess to being a friend of Mike's so feel free to take my opinion with a pinch of salt but I am just being totally honest.

tbh I'd rather take it to mike cos I know he has a good track record with mapping the cams, just need to find time to get down to him cos work shifts so need to try and find time in the week, just desperate to get it setup so I can properly open it up! Haha

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182

Good thing Dan doesnt work for Ktec then? :p

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It was a dig as per usual.

Based on what Ive seen of Ktec's mapping its not a "dig", its just fair comment that they dont seem to be able to get it right, all any of us can do is be honest about what we have seen after all?

I have NOTHING against Ktec as company, I frequently praise their mail order side and I even have bought from them myself, but the harsh truth is they just seem to make a habbit of getting it wrong on these cars with regards to the mapping!

Just take it to MWM if they are getting good results,
Indeed.

I'm not defending there mapping.

​519 mapped my car in house, you'll struggle to find a car on fbw & 421s that runs as well. After all the comments on how they stall on standard Ecu etc.

Ph1 172 (titanium)

​519 mapped my car in house, you'll struggle to find a car on fbw & 421s that runs as well. After all the comments on how they stall on standard Ecu etc.

Just goes to show, dan also knows how to tweek a map! Not just use a generic ktec map!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

519 mapped my car in house, you'll struggle to find a car on fbw & 421s that runs as well. After all the comments on how they stall on standard Ecu etc.

Well according to Ktec the way that 519 map a car is dan sends ktec the file and ktec map it and send it back to dan to put on the car, so it depends what you mean by they mapped it "in house" if its getting sent off to someone out of house I would still say that comes down to the skills of the person actually making the changes.
I have NO problem with people outsourcing maps by the way, we cant all do everything ourselves as often it doesnt make commerical sense due to time involved, in fact I even do it myself on some cars (BMW diesels etc for example are a common one I use other peoples maps on not my own), but if doing so then its best to use someone you can actually trust.