ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Faults...

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Surely he would have seen most of those when buying the car? And makes a lot of fuss out of a window wiper

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
They are all standard faults.

(Apart from rusty bolts-too acidic wheel cleaner, and dirty seatbelts)

Just got to live with them.

White clique
i think he's posted that on here before.

He got a rotten apple, they are out there with all cars, and more fool him for not checking it over.

I had a 197 and along with most other owners didnt have those problems.

M135i
mmm odd one that. i haven't read all of it just the first post. Was it brand new to the OP? Looks crashed damaged to f**k if you ask me.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
it is a normal 197 with stickers. didn't realise they where an option. it isn't a R27. standard seats and silver wheels.

I presume he bought it second hand from Renault. tbh, the vast majority of those things you would have seen checking the car over tbh...

The oil leak on the head is a problem occuring more often on 197's now too.

not our fault he bought a dog.... prob been damaged repaired. jimbo, you read my mind.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
and warped discs? LOL been ragged to fook that car has... LOL jsut before the previous owner drove it into a ditch.

Clio 1970000000
From reading a lot of threads on this forum, it seems you either buy a faultless car that does 100,000 miles without a problem or you buy a dud. There is not much in the middle.

Fiesta STripes
That's my car....

It isn't an R27, they threw in the stickers as an extra!

The problems were all fixed after I went through the credit card company and Renault's HO...EVRY SINGLE ONE apart from the stickers....

But as I keep saying with regards to people saying "You should have checked it before buying" - YES that is true, but Renaults HO said the following:

I contacted Renault UK, and they said to me:

There is no reason for you to have to go into a Renault dealer and check the car head to toe. Part of being a Renault approved dealer is the fact that you should be able to just go in and get the car with the peace of mind that EVERYTHING has been checked and approved on the vehicle

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
glad you got it sorted in the end. But a bit of a kick in the balls tbh.

What is the age and milage of the car out of interest?

Mondeo TDCI 130
Bloody hell you put some effort into that! lol, I have only done a few hudred miles pal, but it doesnt look good! But i expected it to be honest!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I remember you putting this thread up lad.

Tbh you dont sound daft and some of those faults would be easily missed imo.

Inspecting a car for the first time most definatley doesnt reveal every single fault the car has to offer!

With what Renault UK said to Renault dealers checking a car from top to toe without you having to provide a list of said faults...? Are they actually for real or have they never met the renault mechanics?

Christ on a bike, some of these tits would have trouble diagnosing a lit petrol light never mind changing spark plugs

Fiesta STripes
Bloody hell you put some effort into that! lol, I have only done a few hudred miles pal, but it doesnt look good! But i expected it to be honest!

Na, no effort, just jot down tank mileage and total mileage every time, and that site works out everything else. Total average since I had the car is currently 28,9 MPG. If I was bothered that much about fuel consumption, I would NEVER have bought a 197 lol :)

I remember you putting this thread up lad.

Tbh you dont sound daft and some of those faults would be easily missed imo.

Inspecting a car for the first time most definatley doesnt reveal every single fault the car has to offer!

With what Renault UK said to Renault dealers checking a car from top to toe without you having to provide a list of said faults...? Are they actually for real or have they never met the renault mechanics?

Christ on a bike, some of these tits would have trouble diagnosing a lit petrol light never mind changing spark plugs

The sales bloke told me that the "wobbling" brakes would go quickly, and I wsn't 100% sure as the car had been sat for a couple of months, and I'm not being a total whizz on cars lol....

I didn't really mind too much in the end, because the car was paid for by credit card, I was covered by that in the end. The dealer didn't get their money until everything was fixed. That is why you should ALWAYS buy big things on credit cards!

ST
That red 197 tarted up like an R27 is a shed...

Mine was immaculate, only thing i will say, they lack torque and drink far too much fuel for an N/A 2.0L.

Oh and Mark, how you avg'd 28mpg i'll never know, driving like a saint mine never seen more than 26ish..

Like many things in life 'nice idea' but Reno missed the boat a bit IMO.

Daniel, remember that time we went to Govan asda in the 197 and it used a gallon of fuel from braehead to the Govan cut off...ah memories..x

Last edited:
  Mini Cooper S
To be fair..when you're going to look at a car you have your heart set on...you only look at the positives and miss out some of the bad bits. I noticed a couple of things after I bought my car, nothing too bad though!

ST
To be fair..when you're going to look at a car you have your heart set on...you only look at the positives and miss out some of the bad bits. I noticed a couple of things after I bought my car, nothing too bad though!

Knows..this happened to me 6 years ago when i also had a 1.2 Clito :(

Alan, 28 mpg is easy!

Driving like a saint I've averaged 32mpg around town, and on a long motorway journey cruising at 65 was around 40mpg

Black 197
Alan, 28 mpg is easy!

Driving like a saint I've averaged 32mpg around town, and on a long motorway journey cruising at 65 was around 40mpg

+1

I've just moved and the distance to work and and back is a 42 mile round trip from the outskirts of Kent into Central London..

I filled up to brim 12 days ago and generally drove like a granny everywhere to just see how far the go go juice would last, I've managed 372 miles so far with an average of 34.8mpg and have just under a quater of a tank to go.. Not bad imo

Polo + Micra
+1

I've just moved and the distance to work and and back is a 42 mile round trip from the outskirts of Kent into Central London..

I filled up to brim 12 days ago and generally drove like a granny everywhere to just see how far the go go juice would last, I've managed 372 miles so far with an average of 34.8mpg and have just under a quater of a tank to go.. Not bad imo

bloody hell that is good :eek:

how big is the fuel tank?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
takes about £55-60 to fill up from empty, so what, 55 litres?