ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 inlets on a 172 ......... has anyone else seen this ???

Track 172 & Golf R32
Sounds nice! Wonder if its difficult to do or if its worth doing?

But going that fast on R888s in that rain! lol

The 197 manifold in theory will 'rock' the power/torque delivery towards the top end of the RPM range. This will more than likely cause the bottom end of the RPM range to suffer, in return for higher peak power at the top end. The attack angle of the TB would also allows the manifold to deliver improved high RPM output over the 90 degree arrangement of the standard FR4 upper due to air flow velocity.

BLK RSC172
and?

here are some of the lastest pics of my setup..
the engine makes about 110kw atw.. and feels very strong between 3k8 and 7k rpm... as thats where most of the torque is made.. other then that it drives like a normal clio while commuting..

and a youtube clip if ya intrested.

Cheers.

the work was carried out by Paul at http://www.autoparis.com.au/

i could be very wrong on this but you may find that some of the tuners/mechanics on this site may give it a bad rap, if it's not been done in the UK then it's not worth doing.

besides bloody aussies can't tune engines or map ecu's.

i'm sure you'll find more info on here http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/bb/

what do you mean that they cant tune ecus?
my car was tuned locally on the stock ecu.. i cant really dive into what was changed were made but the car feels soo much better then a stock 172...

and if it hasn't been done in the uk its not worth doing??
what drugs are you on mate... i could use a mumma call here but thats just not cricket..

currently im looking at diffrent exhaust setups, but due to financial constraints i cant do anything for the next 12 months :( im hoping to unleash a bit more bottom end, and considering some 182 extractors, de-cat vs metal race cat, and a selection of mufflers..

Cheers Joel.

Last edited:
  RSTUNER'ED-C&B'ED RS-1
Hi Joel,

Nice effort and development for sure, how much have you spent on this? Just wondering whether it is within the limits of ITB's budget?

Cheers

Alper

BLK RSC172
7200AUD is what Paul is quoting his customers..

quote from OZRS.
depeche mode said:
ok the price for this kit drive in drive out will be 7200
incs:
fully modded head and VRS kit
cat cams to suit
all modded brakets and mounts
inlet manifold,top and bottom, fuel rail and fuel line
timing belt kit and harmonic
reprogramed ecu
labour
this does not include induction or exhaust
with this kit you will be going from 83kw (stock 172) to around 110 kw at the wheels....
and we belive there is still more to be made :)
but even to this point its more than ample power for the road.. just ask joel.. :)
paul.

i have put a bit more into it with regards to the exhaust and intake setup..

cheers Joel.

BLK RSC172
no...... to set up itbs on a clio in aus is about 13kAUD.
the killer in this setup is the inlet.. here it cost me $2200 becasue there are not too many wreck 197s here..

VaVa
7200AUD is what Paul is quoting his customers..

quote from OZRS.

i have put a bit more into it with regards to the exhaust and intake setup..

cheers Joel.

That's about 5k in proper money! f**k that!

I have no idea whether or not Australian companies know how to tune cars, but they sure know how to f**king charge! LOL

Renaultsport Clio 172
That's about 5k in proper money! f**k that!

I have no idea whether or not Australian companies know how to tune cars, but they sure know how to f**king charge! LOL

Bold statement, what you guys charge in UK is outrageous money then, do you know that a set of cams for a Duratec 20 costs 400, but USD? that is about 250 punds, but in your land they go for around what, 500??????

AUS is .8xxx USD, so do the mat. The ones who know how to charge are UK companies, I wish the clio was sold in the US, that would have made tunning a lot cheaper!!! But we can not make this sort of comparisons, totally diferent economies, and weages, so what is good pricing for some countires is simply astonishingly high for others.

2005 Nissan Navara
In all, fairness, he's just said about its 13k AUD for an ITB install. Here its about 3k GBP, so about 5k AUD.

BLK RSC172
In all, fairness, he's just said about its 13k AUD for an ITB install. Here its about 3k GBP, so about 5k AUD.
what dose that include? throttle bodies, injectors and an ecu?
here they used a diffrent ecu (it was 2-3times more then the omex) also cams, and i think a few other things were added as well..

if you take away the cams, and get a cheap second hand inlet the prices are very respectable in comparison..
i couldn't go into prices here because i dont know what you guys in the uk charge per hour.. or what work would be required to get the job done..
the R&D just to get my car to idle and run smoothly took a long time, many hours were spent on tuning it alone..

2005 Nissan Navara
what dose that include? throttle bodies, injectors and an ecu?
here they used a diffrent ecu (it was 2-3times more then the omex) also cams, and i think a few other things were added as well..

if you take away the cams, and get a cheap second hand inlet the prices are very respectable in comparison..
i couldn't go into prices here because i dont know what you guys in the uk charge per hour.. or what work would be required to get the job done..
the R&D just to get my car to idle and run smoothly took a long time, many hours were spent on tuning it alone..

The one I sell includes DTA S40 ecu, jenvey taper bodies and accessories, airfilter and base plate, and custom short rad...£3000+vat so roughly £3500. This is fitted and mapped.

Lionel Richie
daft question, but why not just sling on the entire top end setup ie head etc?

i bet the clever people at TDF and RS tuning could make the electronics work

2005 Nissan Navara
That would be the thing to do really. Something I want to toy with

The coding would need to be altered to allow PWM to control the cam timing, and it would need a cam position input.

Personally i'd just put an after-market control system on tbh.

BLK RSC172
well that was the point of this mod.. in aus placing a ecu into a car can raise alot of questions from the authorities and from insurance.. some companys just wont insure a car with a aftermarket managment.... by keeping the management stock you can do as you please.. with out breaking emmissions laws..
as for swapping the head.. i think that there are a few changes to it and while it would of bolted up not everything may of lined up.. and buying a 197 head here in aus was compleatly out of the question. as it would of come with a compleat bottom end ;) (local breakers or wreckers wont seperate even 172 heads from blocks!)
but im unfimiliar with the diffrences b\w these 2 engines.. you guys would have a better idea about that then we would as you would of seen more of em..

Cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh5A0EE8SVg

came across this last night as i was avin a mooch on youtube.

There is apparently a 73x in France that has a 197 head, inlets with a custom schrick grind, along with pistons, rods and crank that is putting out 227[i will check this figure] (engine dyno).

There is also a Rally car in Greece running a similar set up as this with Motec that was for sale on one of the race cars for sale sites.

I don't see any reason why the power figures aren't accurate.

/y0z

BLK RSC172
so is anyone in the uk or Europe gonna try this mod? im intrested in seeing what you guys can get from this...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
daft question, but why not just sling on the entire top end setup ie head etc?

i bet the clever people at TDF and RS tuning could make the electronics work

Just found this thread while looking for something else.

To answer that question, the problem in doing so is that the compression ratio would be dropped massively. This can be fixed with high comp pistons of course.

No clever electronics needed really though just use the 172 dephaser solenoid and dephasor pulley and throttle body etc and the standard ecu will run fine with a 197 inlet/head etc.

182 Turbo
34b47952.jpg

197 inlets And cylinder head