ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Road Presence

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
There is a standard Albi Blue one local to me. Looks so good.

Picked mine up yesterday, was exepecting it to look tiny next to my mates leon

47123_10152146399750582_737720756_n.jpg

But obviously not <3

Defo. As with all or most small cars these days, they are now medium size and pretty heavy.

For an every day car, it suits me well though, so I'm happy enough.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
But they're not slow? They are on par....

Few years ago in my albi I had a wee tussel with a 172 cup and had the legs on it. Wasnt trying?? He came on here and said fair play the 197 had the legs on it. (ill dig out the link after if i remember) Granted, they are more thirsty, I average 30mpg.

Like all Renaultsports, you get good and bad ones, and your trophy is/was modded/worn smooth is it not? ;)

Que the yeahbutno brigade

:)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

On a par with a car designed 5 years previously, wheres the progress ;)

I just found mine lacked any type of movment below 4-5k - cant remember which exactly, & strangely seemed to have far less torque than the 1*2's ive had. Weight will have a part to play in that though im sure. I'll be honest, i was absolutely gutted with mine, cant stand the look of the R26, so i thought the 197/200 would be an ideal replacement for the T & M3.

It just wasnt :(

Maybe ill try again with a red 200 in the future (when they get down to £6k or so), but just make sure its cammed, or turbo'd ...

They're not slow. I was just trolling with my comment. But IMO they do suffer from a very noticeable lack of poke. They feel slow (slower than a 182), which is more important to me than the outcome of some charvery 'race'.

Leon Cupra 300
They don't half need some stirring to get going, but they're not slow! I'd say similar to a standard Megane when in the right gear.

I'm averaging about 33-34mpg out of mine. They're crap on the motorway as they rev stupidly high (hence why the M3 will of done better MPG's) but pottering about it's pretty efficient IMO.

Do agree the 197 looks better, though!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Got to say my experience across several trackdays comparing against 172s, 182s, Tropy's etc. is that there's nothing to separate my 200 from any of them in a straight line.

I don't doubt a MkII would 'launch' quicker and they're definitely a little more nimble through the really tight 2nd gear corners, but beyond that, the pace is near enough identical.

Slow they're definitely not slow so long as you work them hard.

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
I loved how 'wide' my 197 was - loved looking in the side mirrors and seeing the rear three quarters bulging outwards.

I loved this on my old valver! When polished up, seeing the horizon bending around the arch in the reflection of my mirror! Lol was such a tiny car in comparison to 'small hatches' these days lol

I love the 197's picture do them no justice as been said. An RB lives down my mates road and every time I see it I just love the stance! See and albi outside my work the other week too, lowered and black wheels! Looked epic

PB Clio 172
I would say that the 197/200 looks good on the road but when I think about all the problems they have I am very happy to stick with my 172!

I would never buy a 197/200. They look good yeah, saying that the inside isnt far away enough from a non Renaultsport in my view. The inside of a car is very important to me and hey lets face it is where you spend all of your time !

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Show me a 3+ year old french car that doesn't have a 'quirk' of some sort....

The 197/200 is no worse thatn any other car for 'problems'

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Recaro's make the interior of the 197's. Without them they are pretty plain IMO.

Nimbus 197
ha when i was looking to buy my 197 i sat in a 182 and thought i was in works kangoo van :D 197 is a much nicer place to be tbh.

CBR1K, F21 125D
"the inside isnt far away enough from a non Renaultsport in my view."

Of the 197 or 200 mk I guess, so he's correct.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Aren't the interiors of non RS mk3s very pov; unpainted dash trims/centre console, nasty dash, nasty steering wheel, pov door cards, no recaros etc etC

and no start button :p

RB 182 195bhp
But a 2002 172 cup is as fast as a 2012 clio 200, how is that advancement? And probably slower round a track due too more weight etc.

Clio 200
Ah the 197. I going to bite the bullet and go for a 200 but having looked at these photos the 197 is much much prettier.

My old Albi was gorgeous, anyone selling?

F56 MINI Cooper S
200 is much more of a looker/more road presence. everything about it is better visually IMO. I did like the 197, but the 200 makes it look dated. Everything from the gloss black rear diffuser, to the front end.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
But a 2002 172 cup is as fast as a 2012 clio 200, how is that advancement? And probably slower round a track due too more weight etc.

But why does it have to be quicker?

You could argue that a 172 isnt that much quicker than a Williams which is nearly 20 years old. Its kept the same pace on purpose. The Clio and maybe the MINI have had the same sort of figures since the early 2000's... if you want quicker, you go up the manufactures range. Its as simple as that.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
The 197 front is better looking, for sure.

The back looks SO weedy in comparison though. They need the 200's diffuser and badges. And no daft ironing board spoiler.

Fat b*stard.

4f3362da.jpg

197310509093.jpg

It doesn't look any different other than its got a set of Pat Butchers earrings hanging off it?

;)

On a par with a car designed 5 years previously, wheres the progress ;)

I just found mine lacked any type of movment below 4-5k - cant remember which exactly, & strangely seemed to have far less torque than the 1*2's ive had. Weight will have a part to play in that though im sure. I'll be honest, i was absolutely gutted with mine, cant stand the look of the R26, so i thought the 197/200 would be an ideal replacement for the T & M3.

It just wasnt :(

Maybe ill try again with a red 200 in the future (when they get down to £6k or so), but just make sure its cammed, or turbo'd ...

Thats because they do have less torque.

As much as its not as nice a place to sit, I much prefer my ph1 to drive then the 197.