ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Wheel Vs 182 content

Yes, £18.00 from the dealership, although every wheel bought separately comes with one. Its only held on with a screw and is very easy to remove if you did not want it.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I fitted a 200 wheel to mine and it wouldn't work. When tightened up the wheel will not return to centre position after driving. What have you done to resolve this issue.

Clio 1970000000
Yes, £18.00 from the dealership, although every wheel bought separately comes with one. Its only held on with a screw and is very easy to remove if you did not want it.

Thanks. Mine had a new steering wheel under warranty just before I bought it. I think the Renault Sport plastic bit (for want of a better name) looks smart and sets the wheel of nicely.

Black Gold Trophy
I fitted a 200 wheel to mine and it wouldn't work. When tightened up the wheel will not return to centre position after driving. What have you done to resolve this issue.

I'm assumng this is due to rubbing against the plastic cover that the stalks emerge from?
Surely you could get a spacer machined up to clear the plastic box between the stalks?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
It's nothing to do with the plastic it's the metal on the end of the wheel. The 182 wheel is quite flat where it goes over the metal splines but the 200 wheel juts out quite a bit. It also has some reinforcers on it which don't help the problem as it's quite wide. You'd have to get the 200 wheel machined or shortened, well that's what I think. If it was just the plastic it wouldn't be a problem as the plastic wouldn't stop the wheel returning to centre.

We haven't done anything, the 197 wheel is a straight fit spline & depth wise, the only rubbing is ever so slight between the steering column surround & the back of the wheel, buts its only just audible, you can't feel it.

We hope to be able to offer this as a service, but we need to ensure the airbags are compatible first.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Have you road tested it though, tried it? The 200 one is the same as the 197. There's nothing different as far as I'm aware. The problem only came to light when I drove it away.

I just want you to realise here, it does turn and work.... But, if you're driving and turn the wheel say to the right it turns right but if you let go of the wheel it will not return to centre like it should - just to clear that up. So unless you've driven it you wouldn't know.

Hi Jamie, no need to realise anything as I can ensure it does work as I have just returned from Brighton in the car, it fits perfectly well and has non of the symptoms you are experiencing?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I can only presume the 197 wheel and 200 wheels are different then, but that would be very odd. Unless the guy fitting mine was doing something wrong which is kind of hard to do.

I think its safe to assume then that the depth of the 200 wheel fittings may well be different in that case. You mention you don't believe this is the case, but unless you have examined the two then there is really no way to tell.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
P1010297.gif

P1010295.gif

P1010296.gif

P1010299.gif

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I just find it hard to believe they would change it really. (The wheels that is the 197 to 200.)

Last edited:
Sorry guys I really can't help either way. Its not about believing or realising anything as the 197 wheel on my car fits, turns resistance free and operates the cruise control etc, last step is the airbag and we're home. Obviously I can't comment on what you have done / haven't done without seeing it.

172 mk2
We haven't done anything, the 197 wheel is a straight fit spline & depth wise, the only rubbing is ever so slight between the steering column surround & the back of the wheel, buts its only just audible, you can't feel it.

We hope to be able to offer this as a service, but we need to ensure the airbags are compatible first.

Could it be fitted without the airbag? momo's etc dont have them..

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I said "realise" as I didn't think I was explaining it well enough not that you were incorrect or dopey in any shape or form as you seem less than pleased with what I've put.

Could it be fitted without the airbag? momo's etc dont have them..

Well yes, but it would look a bit strange, and I for one would never fit an airbag less steering wheel in a car without harnesses.

I can see you're getting a bit arsey in your reply here tbh, which I'm not to fond of. I said "realise" as I didn't think I was explaining it well enough not that you were incorrect or dopey in any shape or form.

Sorry for coming across that way, I wasn't aware that I was?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It's the bits at 3 and 9 o'clock, from memory the ph1 doesn't have them. I fitted the wrong hub, it fitted but weighted up massively. And the airbag is different ( 1 connector instead of 2).

Clio 1970000000

Just bought one on ebay for £20.50 delivered :star:

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
They are the same plugs for the air bag and horn. Only ones which need cutting are cruise.

Fiddly, along with the CC functions etc took a few hours to get right. We have a solution that we are happy with; airbag charge/circuit is all functioning perfectly. Need to validate some more details before even considering making it marketable. :)

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
What do you mean? On the one I had it connected upto the car without any problems. The only additional item was a earth to the air bag. There was also a small piece of plastic on the clip a little different come to think of it but I just trimmed that off and it clipped in.

Civic Type S GT
Very well done to you though! Have you a rough idea on what you think prices would be? When did you get it finished anyhow?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
What do you mean? On the one I had it connected upto the car without any problems. The only additional item was a earth to the air bag. There was also a small piece of plastic on the clip a little different come to think of it but I just trimmed that off and it clipped in.
Also interested in knowing this.