ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1994 172'd Mk1 Valver Track Car

BMW M5 & E36
I thought it was about time I got round to making this project thread. Here goes:

In October this year I had my first taste of track driving, on an RAF Marham charity track day in my 182. I’d spent a fair bit of money getting the car ready for the day and everything paid off when it behaved faultlessly. Although this was only my first day, I’d caught the bug and decided that I wanted to do more.

With Marham being towards the end of the year, and the weather rapidly getting worse, I made the decision not to do anymore until the weather/light picked up a bit in march/april time. Thinking things through, as you do, I realised that I will still need a car to get me to and from work every day so using the same car on track would be a bit of a risk. Not so much through binning it, but the mechanical side of things.

Because of that, I went out and bought a Mk1 16v for the job :D, and I’ll keep the 182 as my daily run around. Insurance love me at 19, but it’s what I want to do and I don’t have a lot of outgoings elsewhere!

Anyway. I got the car at the end of October for £550, with an extra set of terrible 17” wheels which have since sold on ebay for £100. So in effect the car has cost me £450. It needs a few bits doing, but since it’s now SORN’d I’m in no great rush. I got several of the replacement parts with the car which the previous owner hadn’t got round to doing. The most important thing is that it’s rust free, a big bonus.

When I got it:

DSCN3686.jpg

DSCN3687.jpg

DSCN3694.jpg

In the garage under some light. It was pretty dark when those pics were taken!

DSCN3667.jpg

DSCN3669.jpg

DSCN3678.jpg

DSCN3681.jpg

Pretty pleased with what I’d got hold of, I left things as they were for the night and went inside. After work the next day I headed home and gave it a quick once over with the sponge in the dark. Amazing what ten minutes can do to the look of the car. I’d happily have paid more for the car if it’d have been like this when I went to look at it! Far from spotless, but a lot better than it was.

DSCN3703-1.jpg

DSCN3705.jpg

DSCN3711.jpg

DSCN3720-1.jpg

DSCN3732-2.jpg

The theme of this car has been out and out track car from the start whilst staying road legal to get to and from tracks, and maybe the odd weekend hoon. With that in mind, I started pulling the thing to bits! Not too many photo’s of everything coming out as I got carried away and forgot.

DSCN3744.jpg

DSCN3748.jpg

DSCN3745.jpg

Made a start on the tar under the drivers seat to see how much of an arse it was going to be. Very impressed how easily it comes out with a heat gun and scraper

DSCN3749.jpg

DSCN3752.jpg

I got a big bundle of receipts with the car, but there are no records of the cambelt having
ever been done. This, along with various other plans means that the engine will be coming out before too long. It’ll give me a good chance to have a cleanup of the engine bay too. The O/S front wing was cracked, so this came straight off anyway, but then I decided to take all the front panels off to give me more room to work. They’re currently sat nicely down the side of the house!

DSCN3754.jpg

DSCN3756.jpg

DSCN3758-1.jpg

A quick change of wheels to my speedline chronos which were laying around. You’ll probably see the car sat on these for the length of the project, but I doubt they’ll be staying on.

DSCN3759.jpg

DSCN3761.jpg

Everything that came out the car was weighed to give me a rough indication of where the overall weight of the car was. I soon got bored of writing what each individual thing was so it turned into a bit of a mess. So before I started on anything too drastic it was minus 127kg.

Lots more to come. Thanks for reading, Chris. :)

BMW M5 & E36
Re: Valver Track Car Project Thread

One of my main objectives was to get the dash looking as neat as possible, but yet stripped at the same time. I'm yet to see a Mk1 (non-cup racer) with the lower half of the dash removed and still reasonably tidy. Usually there seem to be wires all over the place. Removing the heater would help keep things simple, but I intend to keep that for demisting, a little bit of comfort and MOT purposes.

To start with I took almost everything out. This started simply enough but I soon got impatient and ended up cutting the lower dash into several bits in order to get it out. This was fine as I dont plan on keeping it, but as I found out later on, it also meant the cages for the aux oil dials and the speedo dials got a bit mangled.

DSCN3762.jpg

DSCN3763.jpg

DSCN3765.jpg

You may have noticed that Ive taken the heater vents out too, but some of this will be going back in after a little modification.

Overall state:

DSCN3770.jpg

BMW M5 & E36

As I'm only keeping the very bare essentials in the car, alot of the interior loom can be removed. This includes complete door looms, interior lights, sunroof, rear speakers, rear screen etc etc, and the majority of the bits in the dash. All that I plan on keeping is the necessary hazard switch, rear fog switch, oil/speedo clocks, heater controls, and tom-tom fag lighter socket.

Because of all this, we set to and started stripping back the loom of what wasnt needed. The old alarm seemed to have wires everywhere as it was supposedly a total closure job, but that didn't work anyway. A big thankyou to Darren (Daz Clio Cup) at this point, as I'm not too hot on electrics myself!

DSCN3772.jpg

DSCN3774.jpg

Toad alarm!

DSCN3775.jpg

DSCN3777.jpg

And starting to look a little better

DSCN3781.jpg

Basically, this lot came out in total:

DSCN3782.jpg

DSCN3783.jpg

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup

Nice work mate, my PH1 172 shares the same look as yours on the inside, fook loads of wires every where & no dash lol, will be keeping an eye on your thread to see what you do with the dash display

good stuff......now come and do my wiring please ;) lol

did you keep the lower dash or is it completely mashed? DIY top dash mounts could have been done lol

TrackCar & F30 330d

That well good mate. Seems well good fun. Wish i could have the space to have a seperate track car. Looks like i'l have to stick to trackdaying the daily driver :) :(

BMW M5 & E36

The heater vent has been modified a little. I've taken out the centre vent, siliconed a piece of plastic over the hole and painted it black from the original mouldy yellow colour. I also drilled out the lower vents and blanked them off with more silicone and plastic cuttings from the dash. This bit is out of sight so looks aren't too important

DSCN3784.jpg

DSCN3786.jpg

Eyeing things up

DSCN3795-1.jpg

DSCN3796.jpg

Little panel made out of more dash for the 2 switches that Im keeping:

DSCN3797.jpg

DSCN3798.jpg

Starting to get somewhere near with the dash now. I'm putting as much in conduit as possible to keep things looking neat and single coloured. Ignore the yellow tape leading to the fusebox for now, I ran out of black! I also picked up another cage for my clocks from nathanH on here, so I can get them properly mounted now too.

DSCN3810.jpg

DSCN3812.jpg

DSCN3813.jpg

DSCN3814.jpg

Rear end loom is finished and ready to go. Nice and tidy and hopefully completely out of sight when it goes in. It'll be sat on my shelf for some time yet though:

DSCN3815.jpg

Proposed door skin removal line. Need to relocate the release handle yet though. Fixed window with slider will be in eventually, so I have no need for any of it:

DSCN3819.jpg

Engine hoist ready when I get time:

DSCN3817.jpg

Garage soon fills up with junk!

DSCN3816.jpg

M

mini-valver

Awesome mate! A lot of Mk1 track cars popping up now. Will come see if it you're working on it for the next few weekends :D

BMW M5 & E36

good stuff......now come and do my wiring please ;) lol

did you keep the lower dash or is it completely mashed? DIY top dash mounts could have been done lol

Yeah I've got it laying about in several bits. The plastics useful for making other mounts and bits if nothing else! You can just about see where Ive kept a little bit for mounting the top dash on the drivers side, around the little pocket type thing. Whether that'll stay Im not sure yet.

BMW M5 & E36

Awesome mate! A lot of Mk1 track cars popping up now. Will come see if it you're working on it for the next few weekends :D

I barely go anywhere other than work in the week LOL! :clown: So yeah, home at weekends.

M

mini-valver

Cheeky edit....Or I'm going insane, lol.

Drop me a PM when you're on the car next mate and I'll come over when I'm free!

BMW M5 & E36

Collected my seats earlier in the week, thanks Chris2007 off here. Sparco Circuits:

DSCN3825.jpg

DSCN3827.jpg

DSCN3828.jpg

DSCN3829.jpg

Make amazing xbox seats until they go in the car :D

Last edited:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Going to be watching this very carefully.

Good work matey!! :)

BMW M5 & E36

Right I got a little bit more done today, it's too blummin cold to be working on it at the moment though, even in the garage! Need to buy a better heater for in there I think.

When I started. You can about see the plastic plate that I've siliconed over the centre dash vent here, as well as where I'd painted the rest of it in matt black. Starting to get a little scratched now so I might re-do it when I'm happy everything is in it's final position.

DSCN3836.jpg

Next I started on positioning the cigarette lighter socket. I want to keep this as the car is going to remain road legal and be driven to tracks/out and about, so I need TomTom power :approve:. I was tempted to have it coming out the dash top just to the left of the oil dials, but then spotted this ideal little position; bottom left of the heater vents:

DSCN3837.jpg

Worked my way up through drill bits so as to not crack/split the plastic, until I got to my biggest!

DSCN3838.jpg

Then I opened it up a little more with a file until the fit was spot on:

DSCN3839.jpg

Got power and everything works. Win.

DSCN3842.jpg

DSCN3840.jpg

Next I took a bit of a step backwards and took the cage off which holds the oil dials. This originally got broken into two when I got impatient taking the dash out so I wasn't particularly happy with it. Then I used the replacement which I'd got hold of and started again. I considered using the original 3 bank switch holder which was already attached but it didnt look right with the rest of the dash missing, so I took that off and used the holes left to mount the little panel which I made up the hold the hazards/rear fog switches.

Old one:

DSCN3843.jpg

New:

DSCN3844.jpg

DSCN3845.jpg

DSCN3846.jpg

I then put everything back together, plugged everything in and turned the ignition on to see which lights worked/didnt work. Pleased with the result!

DSCN3847.jpg

Hazards

DSCN3848.jpg

Anyone with good eyes may have noticed that the external temperature display is still working despite me having removed the complete door looms (the sensor is originally mounted in the N/S mirror, same as a mk2). I found the relevant wires, took the sensor out the mirror, mated them up again and the sensor is now mounted in the scuttle. :cool:

DSCN3849.jpg

That's all for today, thanks for reading. Doesn't look like too many are interested though :(

Chris

Megane R26

Great work so far. Cant wait to see this back on the road!! :approve:

good stuff.......its not THAT cold....ive been removing the engine today with my clock reading -1.....in the fog too, on the driveway, lol ;)

ValverInBits

just found this whiteley. Lovely stuff mate. It's really coming along well.

Congrats :)

good work! seems like everythings well planned out with the interior!

any engine plans for it?

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT

Goo work mate, i need to do some more work on my mk1 interior!

You going for CF door cards?

53 Clio's & counting

fair play chap,williams dials too!

cant believe you got that so cheap

BMW M5 & E36

Right, back to work tomorrow after my week off, so I thought while I've got my tools at home I may as well doing something useful with them (despite doing nothing for the rest of the week, minor detail :clown:)

So started prepping for the engine to come out. This was all a bit of a learning curve for me, but everything went alright. Thanks to f0xy for the guide too, top man.

Up onto stands:

DSCN3856.jpg

DSCN3857.jpg

Engine and gearbox oil out, as well as power steering fluid. Didnt have an 8mm sump plug key to hand so made one out of a spare 3/8" mini-breaker bar.

DSCN3860.jpg

DSCN3859.jpg

Passenger side driveshaft out

DSCN3861.jpg

DSCN3863.jpg

DSCN3865.jpg

Driver's side, needed to remove a split pin for this which came out easy enough

DSCN3867.jpg

DSCN3868.jpg

DSCN3869.jpg

Exhaust downpipe off at both ends, unplug lambda cable and remove

DSCN3871.jpg

DSCN3872.jpg

Drain the coolant, then radiator out

DSCN3874.jpg

DSCN3875.jpg

More later :)

Chris

BMW M5 & E36

fair play chap,williams dials too!

cant believe you got that so cheap

Yep, bit of a willy wannabe really, with the wheels too when I got it!

Price was alrite aye, especially after those 17" things went. Already spent the same again, good fun though!

ValverInBits

god, it really was a bargain you jammy b*****d ;)

I wanna see them seats in :)

BMW M5 & E36

Seems not many are interested, but I'll carry on anyway.

So, driveshafts were out, exhaust downpipe was off and the radiator was out. This left me with a big long list of other bits which needed disconnecting too. I labelled a few bits just so I know what's what when it all goes back together, whenever that'll be.

Straps on and both mounts undone, battery tray etc out. Got part way out and realised that I was lifting it too evenly, and the end of the gearbox wasn't going to clear the chassis.

DSCN3876.jpg

I then went back down onto a couple of jacks, re arranged my straps so that it lifted at more of an angle, engine followed by gearbox, and carried on.

DSCN3877.jpg

DSCN3878.jpg

DSCN3880.jpg

DSCN3881.jpg

DSCN3882.jpg

DSCN3884.jpg

DSCN3886.jpg

DSCN3887.jpg

DSCN3890.jpg

DSCN3891.jpg

And down

DSCN3893.jpg

Chuffed with my progress, having not had a clue what I was doing at the start of the day :clown:

DSCN3895.jpg

Chris