ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2002 Clio 172 cup speed sensor problem

Clio 182 Blue
Hi guys struggling with this

Basically bought a cheap cup with a few problems which I'm working my way through, however struggling with the speedo, I heard the sensor is at the back of the gearbox on cups but I cannot find the bugger, it may have been pulled out by the previous owner. I can't see a spare plug hanging near a hole so slightly confused. I believe it does have ABS.

Any help will be greatly appreciated :approve:

LY FF182
If it has ABS it's not a cup, if it does it wont have a speedo sensor on the box as it comes from the ABS

What's the speedo problem anyway?

Last edited:
  Clio 182 Blue
If it has ABS it's not a cup, if it does it wont have a speedo sensor on the box as it comes from the ABS

What's the speedo problem anyway?

Looking at it again, it has the ABS teeth on the driveshafts but no abs sensors, so indeed no ABS.

The speedo is constantly at zero and the service light is on.

​Cheers

Clio 182 Blue
There is just what looks like an inspection hole.. Perhaps the previous owner took the sensor out.. He did mention something about a new gearbox... He wouldn't have put a later gearbox without the speedo sensor in there would he? Is that even possible?

Phase 2 172
sounds like that's exactly what he has done the gearbox type should be stamped on the box on the underside or on a sticker around the black end cover.

Think speedo sensor boxes are jc5 089 & 129 anything else doesnt have a speedo sensor i think

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Looking at it again, it has the ABS teeth on the driveshafts but no abs sensors, so indeed no ABS.

The speedo is constantly at zero and the service light is on.

​Cheers

Strange that yours puts the 'SERV' light on. My speedo dicks about in the wet and drops to 0 sometimes, but never chucks the SERV light at me.

Clio 182 Blue
sounds like that's exactly what he has done the gearbox type should be stamped on the box on the underside or on a sticker around the black end cover.

Think speedo sensor boxes are jc5 089 & 129 anything else doesnt have a speedo sensor i think

Sooo managed to find the gearbox code.. It says JC5 130... so I think the bloke fitted the wrong box :mad: I've been trying to cram a sensor i bought into what I can only assume is an inspection port at the back of the gearbox...

LY FF182
Can you follow the brake lines to check it has no abs.. Look for the actual pump or if the lines go master cylinder straight to the calipers! Sounds a strange car