ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

200s are NOT slow!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
First dry session in the 200, tip-toeing and feeling my way around.

Came up on a 350/370Z that was struggling with the lines, but booted it down the straight. I was doing OK until I hooked 4th :evil:

Last edited by a moderator:
  182 cup
Yup. Can't figure out why people say they're not as much fun as the MkIIs. The MkIIIs move about just like them...you just have to go faster to make it happen.

Me neither, I prefer the 200 cup on track over my old 172 Cup. It does everything just that little bit better for me

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Agreed, the 197 blows the ass out of the old 172/182 so I expect the 200 makes that margin even bigger.

No surprise tbh. A far superior car in every way apart from MPG.

Good vid.

Just shows that talent and knowing what you're doing supersedes any other mods or whatever you can do.

If people spent half the money they would on suspension/brakes/tyres etc and put it towards tuition they'd do a lot better.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Agreed, the 197 blows the ass out of the old 172/182 so I expect the 200 makes that margin even bigger.

No surprise tbh. A far superior car in every way apart from MPG.

The debates raged on for years but I don't agree. I much prefer my 172 cup to my old 197 cup.

Not a 320d
So these are actually good then. Ive got the 200 down as my last resort car next year, but as my 4th clio im not sure I want to stomach the build quality again. I know they handle well but im sick of 4 cylinder engines. Also the looks are a bit marmite. Atleast if I get stuck with one Ill have a car that handles well.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
As long as the respect is there that's fine but I think you'll find that I joined this site one month before you so therefore my opinion is more valid.

LOL

I think you'll find your e-penis may be slightly older, but mine is far larger. Almost twice the size in fact.

Swift Sport
Okay, well I've had both so I'll add my opinion...

- The 172/182 feels faster because of the size and weight advantage and sensation of speed makes it more exciting when you're going quickly.

- The 197 is more planted with superior brakes so braking distances are shorter and cornering speeds increased, therefore making the handling experience more entertaining.

Okay, well I've had both so I'll add my opinion...

- The 172/182 feels faster because of the size and weight advantage and sensation of speed makes it more fun when you're going quickly.

- The 197 is more planted with superior brakes so braking distances are shorter and cornering speeds increased, therefore making the handling experience more fun.

But not quicker.

I much preferred driving the Twingo RS than the 200. 200 is far too big and heavy for me to enjoy it personally. But then when you consider what my 182 was like, and the car I drive now, I'm slightly biased.

Meg 250/E36 Touring
Good vid.

Just shows that talent and knowing what you're doing supersedes any other mods or whatever you can do.

If people spent half the money they would on suspension/brakes/tyres etc and put it towards tuition they'd do a lot better.

+1

Renault 5 Turbo
nice driving mate, very smooth :)

bit of a noob question, how did you link the video from yt like that? cheers :)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
To add to the debate;

My 172 Cup is undoubtedly faster in a straight line and accelerates quicker when exiting a turn, but, I still reach the same peak speeds at the end of the straights in the 200.

Why's that?

Far more speed carried through and out of the turn. The 200 is so much more composed...the grip levels by comparison to the 172 Cup are phenomenal. And when it wags its tail, it's not as lairy as the Cup, so you can lean on it more.

What does it for me...is that the 200 can do all that, on soft suspension, and fully loaded :approve:

Swift Sport
To add to the debate;

My 172 Cup is undoubtedly faster in a straight line and accelerates quicker when exiting a turn, but, I still reach the same peak speeds at the end of the straights in the 200.

Why's that?

Far more speed carried through and out of the turn. The 200 is so much more composed...the grip levels by comparison to the 172 Cup are phenomenal. And when it wags its tail, it's not as lairy as the Cup, so you can lean on it more.

What does it for me...is that the 200 can do all that, on soft suspension, and fully loaded :approve:

Can't argue with that, not far off my opinion really.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Yup. Can't figure out why people say they're not as much fun as the MkIIs. The MkIIIs move about just like them...you just have to go faster to make it happen.

You say it in your video a couple of times Mark - too much grip, & by the looks of it, way to easy to drive fast.

So for me, i prefer the Trophy to the 200, on normal tyres, with the rear end set to f*cking stiff. On R888's it was very fast, but you had to be driving like a complete hero to get any kind of playfulness - bit like the 200 it would seem.

For me, it was either go racing to get the buzz, or purchase something RWD and fast.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
You say it in your video a couple of times Mark - too much grip, & by the looks of it, way to easy to drive fast.

So for me, i prefer the Trophy to the 200, on normal tyres, with the rear end set to f*cking stiff. On R888's it was very fast, but you had to be driving like a complete hero to get any kind of playfulness - bit like the 200 it would seem.

For me, it was either go racing to get the buzz, or purchase something RWD and fast.

Makes sense.

Next time out I'm removing my 172 Cup brain, and will start braking and entering at 200 speeds. The reason it looked so boring on the video was because I was approaching everything as though I was in the Cup i.e. far to slow for what the chassis can handle.

Clio 172 RS2
I never said they where slow... :rasp:

Just feels slow, because it's better build and rides more composed then our older models.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
To be honest it's a farcical debate. I don't think it's a 172/182 vs 197/200 debate. Neither are 'slow' and yes I'd be staggered if a standard 200 didn't beat a 182 around a track when driven by someone with half a brain. The thing is, 200's are £7000 to £8000. That's z3m, 350z, good s2000 and tvr chim money, and i know what would be more 'fun' on a track and to own. £2000 to £3500 and you're in a reasonable 172/182. Bang for buck it's non-negotiable. £7000 well spent on a 172/182 with a competent driver in, and you'll be watching the 350z whilst the modified 172 breezes past you.

RS2'd Trophy
great driving line lol!

I have to agree with Dave on this one if im honest. The trophy just feels very planted but maybe its a completely different drive to a 172 cup?

On track especially such as cadwell and other tight circuits weight is king. The last time I went there I had a 800KG saxo on PSF Tarmac suspension and almost a standard 16v engine. All day we were bullying the heavy cumbersombe cars around. This also said the kit cars were far quicker than anything else round there!

Therefore my opinion is that if a well setup 200 and a well setup 182 were to go round a tighter low speed circuit the 182 would probably have the advantage due to its weight. On a high speed circuit the 200 will have a greater advantage due to its aero pack being significantly better and the engine being more focussed on the higher power band.

Great video.

James

To be honest it's a farcical debate. I don't think it's a 172/182 vs 197/200 debate. Neither are 'slow' and yes I'd be staggered if a standard 200 didn't beat a 182 around a track when driven by someone with half a brain. The thing is, 200's are £7000 to £8000. That's z3m, 350z, good s2000 and tvr chim money, and i know what would be more 'fun' on a track and to own. £2000 to £3500 and you're in a reasonable 172/182. Bang for buck it's non-negotiable. £7000 well spent on a 172/182 with a competent driver in, and you'll be watching the 350z whilst the modified 172 breezes past you.

Oh dear.

E46 M3
I feel compelled to post this:

I was on 888's the 200 on whatever they come with...

200's are plain fast.

Oh, and I have better seats now!

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio 172 RS2
Bang for buck it's non-negotiable. £7000 well spent on a 172/182 with a competent driver in, and you'll be watching the 350z whilst the modified 172 breezes past you.

So you'll end up with a souped up 172/182 which now is no longer 'Bang for Buck'!?

I'll take the 'expensive' 200 then... (IF i had the money) :eek: