ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

220 trophy 0-1000m

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I've tested 0-62 in my car on my phone. Average 5.7 ish. That video is accurate to 1/100th of a second.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Tbf unless that's very expensive GPS they can be out by quite a bit as well. Phone gps is even worse +/- 10m.
The only way to measure accurately would be to put both cars on the same rolling road.

I should imagine there roughly similar anyway otherwise Renault would leave themselves no room to sell faster models.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Evo did a 182 properly at 6.4 iirc.

I'm surprised the 220 was that slow when done properly going by the way some people have talked about them on here... And to think the 200t must be slower still!! lol.

Or is it just a case of variations in power from car to car like always seems to be the case with RS's...?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I've tested 0-62 in my car on my phone. Average 5.7 ish. That video is accurate to 1/100th of a second.

Fair enough! Assume yours is modified somewhat? I just find it hard to believe what's essentially the same car could be a whole second quicker to 60 than my old one (which was quite a quick one when compared with others that I came across on the road).

Have you timed 0-100 in yours dude?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Fair enough! Assume yours is modified somewhat? I just find it hard to believe what's essentially the same car could be a whole second quicker to 60 than my old one (which was quite a quick one when compared with others that I came across on the road).

Have you timed 0-100 in yours dude?[/QUOTE

Ignore me mate was just being funny :/

Civic type r fk8
In all fairness the straight line performance hasn't really improved since the 172.
Thinks cars just have just got heavier and to much focus on emissions, also renault probably didn't want to step on the meganes toes either. People expect a lot from cars these days toys etc. All these 0-60 times is all what it can do on the day.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Ignore me mate was just being funny :/

Done ;)

Thinks cars just have just got heavier and to much focus on emissions, also renault probably didn't want to step on the meganes toes either. People expect a lot from cars these days toys etc. All these 0-60 times is all what it can do on the day.

It's more to do with the segment as you say. It's not a bad thing though, the 172 is not a slow car in the scheme of things!

Civic type r fk8
When the 197 came out people didn't like it and the write ups were not great, the 200 came after it and was called ugly, gearbox naff and made of cheese , I think once the current clio gets older and more tuning comes along things my change once again. The current clio trophy already tuned to 260 bhp how long before 300 bhp ?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I was going to say the mk4 needs 3rd gear to hit 60, but with its fancy box it probably does the 2 gear changes quicker than you would do first to 2nd in the older cars.

Sure its about 40kg less than a 197/200 too

Clio 197
When the 197 came out people didn't like it and the write ups were not great, the 200 came after it and was called ugly, gearbox naff and made of cheese , I think once the current clio gets older and more tuning comes along things my change once again. The current clio trophy already tuned to 260 bhp how long before 300 bhp ?
People still don't like them despite having never driven one tbh

Ojc

Clio 220 Trophy, 172
I came up against an R26 Megane at the old traffic light Grand Prix and the fact I could just plant my foot and not change gear (Sport Auto mode) I left him for dead, the 6.6 0-60 to me seems very conservative to me.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I came up against an R26 Megane at the old traffic light Grand Prix and the fact I could just plant my foot and not change gear (Sport Auto mode) I left him for dead, the 6.6 0-60 to me seems very conservative to me.

the PlayStation generation..... They should do a HUD that gives you suggested line thru the bends and many even auto brake for newer drivers!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
People still don't like them despite having never driven one tbh

It's a gearbox thing for me; I don't need to drive it to know I am not going to like it. If I can't get my left hand and left leg involved I'm not interested.

Some other manufacturers have realised this and are offering manual gearboxes on previously auto-only cars. Renault should follow suit. I'd certainly give them a serious look once again if they did.

It really is that simple.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Agreed. I've not checked stats on sales but I would imagine it would be a lot more if manual was an option.

I appreciate at the moment it's not.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
It's a gearbox thing for me; I don't need to drive it to know I am not going to like it. If I can't get my left hand and left leg involved I'm not interested.

Some other manufacturers have realised this and are offering manual gearboxes on previously auto-only cars. Renault should follow suit. I'd certainly give them a serious look once again if they did.

It really is that simple.

Depends really. You're probably in the top few % of car control ability, simply by knowing techniques such as H&T and LFB.

If you don't do H&T or even rev matching, I can imagine changing gear is more of a chore and even a bit embarrassing when you're out for a blast, want to downshift and your mate in the passenger seat lurches forward as you release the clutch.

These days there's becoming a bigger and bigger performance gap between auto and manual, so there's that consideration too. Unless the car is manual only, you face "buying the slower car" for enjoyment sake.

Don't get me wrong I'll always appreciate a manual box but there is something to be said about a good auto these days.

Last edited:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
These days there's becoming a bigger and bigger performance gap between auto and manual, so there's that consideration too. Unless the car is manual only, you face "buying the slower car" for enjoyment sake.

Don't get me wrong I'll always appreciate a manual box but there is something to be said about a good auto these days.

I completely understand this...changing gear? Why would you want to do that when an ECU can do it for you more?

Taking that point another step forward...driving a car? Why would you want to do that when an ECU can do it for you?

The autonomous car is almost here...will we defend that as much as we defend automatic gearboxes?

According to Renault they have sold more than the old model.

Globally or across Europe, maybe...but in the UK in isolation? Not a chance!!!

I can count on one hand how many I've seen on the road since they day I was on my way to put a deposit down on one and then diverted off to Ford at the last minute!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
@MarkCup that's a bit different no? ABS is a pretty standard driver aid. Without it you'd probably need a new set of tyres after each track day. And for those that want a completely connected driving experience you still have things like Caterhams available. I imagine a Tesla would make a better daily though ;)