ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

25mm MAD spacers stud conversion, stud to spacer or to hub, which is best ?

Sorry if these are dumb questions......

Is it best to screw the studs into the spacer or get longer studs and screw the stud through the spacer to the wheel hub ?

My concern is when screwed into the spacer it only goes in 10-12mm(?) which is alloy so might be a bit weak compared to the steel hub ?

If you screw the studs to the hubs then do you need to bolt the spacer to the hub ?

Which leads me on to which length stud do I need ?

Screw to spacer 60mm ?

Screw to hub 80mm ?

Are Rally design studs OK to use ?

BTW, I'm running the standard 172 wheels and want to retain the centre caps.

Many.
Loads of people, myself included run 25mm alloy spacers (even on track) which the wheels are just bolted to, studs doesn't change how the force etc is applied.

Putting the studs through the spacer into the hub would cause more stress on them, so best to go with how the spacers were designed and put the studs into the spacer.

This could be a complete can of worms situation here but oh well..

My opinion is that it's better to have bolt-to-hub spacers and then bolt your wheels to the spacers, and that's exactly what I've got with 20mm bolt to hub spacers on my car
HOWEVER one of my friends is actually a bolt technician (I didn't even know that was a job) and explained in great depth to me that the extra "stretch" you get with bolting with long bolts straight through the hub doesn't actually add stress and in fact means they are less likely to come loose

For me it came down to convenience. Using long bolts through floating spacers is such a pain in the ass when you change wheels to line them all up etc... whereas bolt to hub spacers don't move around.

So if bolt to hub spacers with the studs bolted to the spacer is tried and tested on the track then that's good enough for me.

So which length studs do I need and are the Rally Design one's OK ?

I'm sure the PMS studs are great but £5 each a bit much for what they are.

I need to get them ordered.

Which leads me on to which length stud do I need ?

Screw to spacer 60mm ?

Are Rally design studs OK to use ?

Many.
I used rally design studs on my old Corsa track car.

Lengh, measure your wheels etc, and depends on your nut style. That is something you'll have to work out yourself.