ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3/4 plate advice needed please

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW F82 M4
Hi everyone. I've recently purchased what I thought was the typical 3/4 plate from fancyplates. Unfortunately I failed when choosing the measurements and it's turned up today and measures 84mm by 390mm. I was going to get another one but it actually looks pretty cool.

I know the larger 3/4 size is illegal anyway but if I use this size is it going to result in a fine or points etc if it's picked up by a police radar van?

I know it might sound like a stupid question but the last thing I was is a letter come through from the po-po simply for having the wrong size plate, regardless of the speed I'm traveling!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
£60 fine. Dont think any cameras can pick it up, you'll have to be pulled.

There has been a few cases of repeat offenders getting points, after the 3rd time they got caught apparently.

Not worth it imo, when it was £30 then maybe but not anymore.

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW F82 M4
Ok that's fair enough. I don't mind running the risk for £60 fine but its not worth points! If I get pulled I'll just change it back me thinks

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
you don't get points lol.

I've been pulled over twice with my front plate on... It never even got mentioned/noticed.

Looking for 182
I just fitted one also. I don't mind risking it once, but if I ever get caught and fined I'll switch it back for good.

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW F82 M4

I've been pulled over twice with my front plate on... It never even got mentioned/noticed.

I'm just concerned because it's blatantly too small with the width, the common 3/4 is a little more discrete IMO

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Keep a legal one in your boot. I reckon id be able to persuade the officer not to fine me :eek:

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
What could happen if you display incorrect number plates

The police can issue fixed penalty fines for illegally displayed number plates. Offenders could face a maximum fine of £1,000 and in some cases the number plate may be withdrawn.

You have to be a persistant offender. The officer that pulled my friend with a dodgy plate told him if he's caught with it on 3 times, the plate goes up for auction.

Vehicles with illegally displayed number plates may fail the MOT test.

Mine passed but failed because of a parking permit in the windscreen :S lol!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/PersonalisedRegAndNumberPlates/DG_181503

I'm waiting for a fine tbh. Will take it off when I get one.

They can issue up to £1000 if they want though according to the DVLA.

The police can issue fixed penalty fines for illegally displayed number plates. Offenders could face a maximum fine of £1,000 and in some cases the number plate may be withdrawn.

Doesnt say anything about 3 times or persistant there.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Maybe it was just the guys personal 'rule' he had going on.

TBF though, you would have to either be seriously unlucky, or being a dick attitude wise towards the copper.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

Brookie was telling me last week, think it was him.

Some repeat offenders were done and got 3 points, they did them for something to do with unfit for road or something like that,

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
just got one myself. will keep you posted! manc /lancashire police dodgin for the next few weeks!

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
All this faffing about for the sake of a s**t numberplate that looks only slightly different to the old one, is illegal and makes no difference at all to your cars performance or handling whatsoever?

Is it really worth it? Your not going to be pulling any birds with things smaller than they're meant to be you know..

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Ive had a £60 fine so took mine off, it would still be on otherwise, cba risking another fine to make the front end look slightly better.

RS 172
Never had any trouble with my 3/4's. Had them on both my cars now, even got pulled in my old car for accidentally flicking on the fog lights, and they didnt say anything. Neighbour is a Police Officer, he has said its illegal but someone would have to be having a real bad day to bother pulling you for it. I'm really not fussed. If I get pulled I get pulled.

Looking for 182
All this faffing about for the sake of a s**t numberplate that looks only slightly different to the old one, is illegal and makes no difference at all to your cars performance or handling whatsoever?

Is it really worth it? Your not going to be pulling any birds with things smaller than they're meant to be you know..

Someone got out of the wrong side of the womb.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Someone got out of the wrong side of the womb.

I Just don't see the point in doing an illegal mod, its not like it adds to your enjoyment or driving experience, it doesn't look so fantastically amazing that you just wanna fap one out over your bonnet every time you walk out the front door in the morning, I just don't follow the logic at all especially when people then come on here moaning if they've been pulled over and fined for it.

Looking for 182
I Just don't see the point in doing an illegal mod, its not like it adds to your enjoyment or driving experience, it doesn't look so fantastically amazing that you just wanna fap one out over your bonnet every time you walk out the front door in the morning, I just don't follow the logic at all especially when people then come on here moaning if they've been pulled over and fined for it.

I guess people do it because they think it looks better. That is certainly why I did.

If I get fined, I won't moan about it, I'll pay up and revert to the original. It's only £60!

Clio 182
Better idea and 45 quid cheaper... Buy a 512x90mm one for £15. Fits in the recess perfect and chances of being pulled are slim to none really. Keep the 3/4 for shows

BG182FF
i had one that fitted in recess and still got pulled over twice, fined both times. Third time was my car taken off me and points. So its in the bin!!

Clio 182
i had one that fitted in recess and still got pulled over twice, fined both times. Third time was my car taken off me and points. So its in the bin!!

I find that hard to believe if I'm honest. They actually said since you still have it on we are impounding the car and giving you points or did other factors contribute to it. Also why not just take it off after the first fine!

BG182FF
honestly thats what the traffic police said second time, but think thats them trying to scare me but i took it off second time, £120 lighter in pocket. I kept it on as i liked it. Police are always on look out here for illegal things, especially window tints. Its chav, cruise central in Skegness

Looking for 182
Better idea and 45 quid cheaper... Buy a 512x90mm one for £15. Fits in the recess perfect and chances of being pulled are slim to none really. Keep the 3/4 for shows

Oh hang on, I think that IS the size I have. Am I getting confused about what a 3/4 plate is?

This is mine, it's just not as tall as a legal one:

imagegsf.jpg

Is this what people refer to as a 3/4 plate?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
3/4 plate is legal horizonatlly - Length wise.
They are just a tad smaller vertically (like christopher)

Clio 182
Yeah the only thing illegal is due to it being smaller the letters are the wrong size but I think 9/10 people wouldn't know the difference if im honest, you'd need a clue'd up arsey copper to tax you for it.

13434_456238510128_684115128_6399660_2405364_n.jpg

Bumder With A Buffer
I had my plate on my old Monaco (same as the one above) and NEVER got stopped in 3 years.

Dan who lives just up the road from me got stopped loads.

Then again I bet he was cruzzin innit ;)

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
No prods wth my 3/4 touch wood !! mot next week so will see how that gos anyone had probs with theres on MOT ?

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW F82 M4
I think there's been a bit of confusion over the size of the plate I was referring to when I started the thread...my new plate is only 390mm wide so is obv quite a bit smaller

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 122

Nickw88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW F82 M4
I think there's been a bit of confusion over the size of the plate I was referring to when I started the thread...my new plate is only 390mm wide so is obv quite a bit smaller

This is probably the closest match I can find online in terms of size. What are your opinions?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 116
  Mini Cooper S
Not a fan of the plate mate. Illegal font, size and spacing. It's 100% illegal lol.

If I was you, I'd cut down the standard number plate, so you only have 11mm of plastic either side of the S & W. That would be legal.

I'd also suggest removing your name off the plate. Do you really want everyone who walks past your car, knowing your full name?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
[ QUOTE=Nickw88;7034630]I think there's been a bit of confusion over the size of the plate I was referring to when I started the thread...my new plate is only 390mm wide so is obv quite a bit smaller[/QUOTE]

You might get pulled for the text style mate