ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3/4 plate is no more!

182 FF Inferno
Well it lasted just over 2 months!!! Got pulled on the way home from work tonight for my 3/4 front plate (he actually had to turn around, catch up and then pull me!)

I'm not going to whinge and moan about it, I knew it was illegal. Still think its very petty as it was perfectly readable (standard font, spacing, length, just narrower). His main point was it not having a BS stamp and not having the makers name.

Got this vehicle defect form to be stamped by a garage.

Apparantly its a nationwide clampdown and repeat offenders will have plates/ cars confiscated!!

330Ci (Fail)Sport
So if its got the BS stamp and makers name on it, they'd let you off?

I want to get a plate shorter in height so that it doesn't hang over the front grill but need to check the legality.

Just noticed my front plate has nothing on it but the Reg, so he got you on weird terms?

182 FF Inferno
So if its got the BS stamp and makers name on it, they'd let you off?

I want to get a plate shorter in height so that it doesn't hang over the front grill but need to check the legality.

Just noticed my front plate has nothing on it but the Reg, so he got you on weird terms?

As far as I can gather from what he said, must have a minimum 12mm border around the letters (which screws you up if you want smaller height- mine had 8mm borders and filled the recess nicely)

Also must be BS stamped and the makers name on it. (his words)

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
I had mine on for over a year! have been pulled twice for having rear pressed plates by traffic police and have been fined twice, each officer said the front was okay...then got pulled about a month ago and got charged. Said to the officer that I have been told they are okay but he said law has changed recently... like I go on and check there website weekly lol

Da

Less
You can't, mine is 11mm all way round (legal) and overhangs slightly at the bottom.
No BS stamp or makers name though...

Static Low
I got pulled for my old pressed plates but havent been pulled with the new ones and i got them in august.

They should start clamping down on real offences / offenders etcc instead of hammering decent people for a numbeerplate

330Ci (Fail)Sport
As far as I can gather from what he said, must have a minimum 12mm border around the letters (which screws you up if you want smaller height- mine had 8mm borders and filled the recess nicely)

Also must be BS stamped and the makers name on it. (his words)

Oh right, didn't know about the minimum border thing. Can't see the problem if they're as readable as normal plates.

You can't have it that size without it being illegal iirc.

:(

182 FF Inferno
Eagle eyed copper there! The number of cops I've gone past...

I forget to be honest.

Yep, and he spotted it going in the other direction!! Pulled up and out came the tape measure....

Got to get this vehicle defect form stamped and sent away in less then 14 days:(

Golf TDI
i got pulled in my old car for 3/4 plates with my private reg on . now i have a different clio im thinking of sticking them back on the front . although i really dont want the £30 fine that came with them . the officer told me if i just stick them back on after him pulling me for them i will be in bigger s**t . so.... :s

fabia vrs
never mind mate !! I wana get pulled for my pressed plates as the are legal ;) So they will have to f**k me for the sun strip instead !!

audi a6 3.0tdi
I don't know if its been said as i've not read it all but number plates must have the postcode of the company that made the plate and also the spacing must be 11mm

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
I got pulled for my old pressed plates but havent been pulled with the new ones and i got them in august.

They should start clamping down on real offences / offenders etcc instead of hammering decent people for a numbeerplate

I agree mate, the fact I pay tax/insurance all the rest of it and you get all the arseholes firing about with none of it and they get charged and thats that...then they go and do it again :mad: (don't get me started lol)

Petrol Blue 182.
yeah aparently all plates must have the stamp thing on, halfords is the best for the plates as there stamp is reflective, so in daylight it looks invisible. only shows when light is put on it

Static Low
aw and yeah, my car passed its mot with illegal pressed plates

the government and the police have more to worry about than number plates. they ned to get there act together

UR R26
ive had my pressed plates on since may and ive not been pulled over yet. Ive had numerous police cars behind me. Im guessing that Avon and Somerset police have better things to do.

SQ5
I have a 3/4 front plate, had it for over 6 months now. Been pulled once first week I had it, copper asked if I had original with me, which I did, and he said on your way just don't let me see it on there again or I'll give you a fine.

This was during the last "clampdown" too!

clio 182
iwhaen i had my fiesta i had the black and siver plates on front and rear, and 9 out of 10 times they moaned about not having the name of the garage on the bottem had over £200 worth of fines in the end!!! knoob ed i know!