ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3 days ownership and now its broke :(

2004 100bhp dci
Hey guys

Can anyone help ? Cars been running fine no indication of any faults parked up this morning come home , waxed the car went to start it and nothing :( engine turns over but just wont start i get the engine light constantly flash and what i thought was the brake wear pad light stays on

Its a dci 1.5 100bhp

Heres a pic for the lights

20130811_195318_zps8d91a4e5.jpg

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Level 2 electrical fault - Tricky one on a 1.5dCi... could be something really daft like a fuse (so check them all) or a broken wire under the bonet.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Light on the left is the glow plug amd general fault lamp. The one on the right is the serious fault light which normally illuminates when a fault is present that prohibits the engine from starting.

2004 100bhp dci
That one keeps flashing , also theres a really loud buzzing coming from the engine ive got a vid im now uploading

Not entirely sure but a couple of posts on Renault DCI.net suggest that buzzing around the battery is the Turbo Solenoid/ pressure sensor?
​I've no idea as i don't have a dci but perhaps you can find some more info on that site?

2004 100bhp dci
Oh great ... So its potentially the pump which is expensive or the 4 injectors which need coding and is expensive or it could be a blackage which again is expensive shudnt of got a french car shuda listend to people :(

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
That glow plug/electrical fault light can mean hundreds of different things on these cars. The light being on in the first place though can actually cause the car to struggle to start. No idea why, but that's how it was on my last dci when that light came on. Is there any air in the fuel lines?

The buzzing is normal though, its from a solenoid and mine does it every time I turn the engine off.

2004 100bhp dci
Air in the lines by the pump bit at the front of the engine bay ya mean? There was some air gaps in the longest pipe i believe but there isnt now

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah that's the bit I mean. Just to make sure the pump is supplying enough fuel. The best thing would be to get the codes read on it. I had that light come on all the time on my old one, kept getting a garage down the road from me to turn it off, just to keep the car running fine and after a good few months I finally found out it was something as simple a bad earth causing the light to come on. That light does usually point towards injection problems, but I wouldn't rule out a possible cheaper fix until you get the codes read on it

2004 100bhp dci
Hmm great well i read that if the car is run down too low on diesel it can naff the injectors when i first got it it said i had 112 miles i tank when it got to 80 miles it then suddnely turned to ---- and the fuel light come on so i filled it up , no doubt it will be injectors and a £400 bill :( sheeze

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I've never heard of that one...I've ran my current dci until the miles to go shows ---- loads of times and not had any problems so far.
A good way to check if the pump is knackered is to get a magnet and sit it against the one of the fuel lines between the fuel filter and the pump. If the pump is on it's way out it'll start to chew itself up and there'll be tiny metal filings in the lines. The magnet will help to pull them to the surface so you can see them.

Hmm great well i read that if the car is run down too low on diesel it can naff the injectors when i first got it it said i had 112 miles i tank when it got to 80 miles it then suddnely turned to ---- and the fuel light come on so i filled it up , no doubt it will be injectors and a £400 bill :( sheeze

It does that soon as it hits 70/80 miles, completely normal :)

Where are you from? Maybe someone local can read the codes for you?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Jesus, this escalated fast!

Get it plugged in first before condemning it as fuel pump or injector failure.

PB172,dci100,dci65
I agree with MickPM, dont panic...get it on a CLIP and think about what you will see.

The brake sign (also handbrake), is on also when you have low level fluid.
Does the engine symbol blink before you even turn the engine over (just turn the key, dont start)? Then its some electric thing, maybe just wiring.

Maybe you did put water where it should not be?

How many turnovers did it take to start the engine when it was last running?

2004 100bhp dci
20130811_212214_zps345db9f4.jpg

I think this wire may be from a sub but aint followed it back yet, do all dcis have this amount of connections to battery as standard?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That wire is an extra and not an issue... Diags first... everything else after.

2004 100bhp dci
How to i go about this "clip" method of diag , i only know of holding the trip button then turn the ignition on

You could try generic OBD readers (few quid on ebay+ android app) to see what sort of codes come up, but a renault CLiP would really be the best option.

Did you have a look through cliodci.net for similar problems? I know it's disheartening when your car goes tits up on you, but you will probably find the issue is something so minor and easily fixed that you'll be annoyed you got so pissed off with it! Think how pleased you'll be if you invest a little research etc into it, and potentially diagnose the problem yourself/at least narrow it down and save yourself a little money on the diagnostics!

2004 100bhp dci
Im still going to try find out the issue, apparently it can also be the crank shaft sensor needs a clean/replacement , or something to do with something not catching to crank it over properly

Only thing is i hope its a.cheap simple fix ive blown all my money on the car so im now skint for 2 months and its mot in 3 months so potentially if its exp repair i wont have the car back this side of christmas which means it was a pointless purchase lol

And im norwich

Crankshaft sensors are very easy to remove, clean and replace. IIRC they're just held on by 2 bolts at the right-hand side of the engine as you look into it. It can be bit of an ache to get to but definitely worth removing and cleaning/possibly replacing.
I'm not 100% on this but i think due to their design and method of operation, they can wear out through time.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Google a local mobile diagnostic service. Doesn't have to be CLIP just something that is strong on French vehicles as I don't think an eBay ODB Scanner will help out much here.

2004 100bhp dci
Ok well tonight im going to check crank sensor and all fuses etc and hope for the love of.god it works.. ill update later

2004 100bhp dci
Ok first of all this probably will sound stupid as i dont know much

are these the glow plugs?

20130812_175710_zpsdc0d59a5.jpg

if so does it being this rusty make it not start?

20130812_175613_zpsbf828a2e.jpg

also i think theres air locks in the fuel system - would these cause my issues?

20130812_175119_zps8773603d.jpg

can i fix the air by pumping this lots? Or will i flood and brake something.

20130812_175458_zps74e2f1fb.jpg

sorry :) hope this helps

Yes the glowplugs are where the spark plugs are on a petrol vehicle.

some air is apparently normal, a lot of air is not - You really need to have it on some diagnostics mate, that'll show if there's too much air as the common rail pressure will be too low or whatever other issues there might be.

2004 100bhp dci
Can i not release/pump the air out i know i shud put it on a diag but i literally have 50 to last the month so if i can fix it for free would really help me out

You could try - if that's what that hand pump does, try it and crank it to see if it starts, after a bit of reading, they can sometimes take 20 seconds of cranking to fire up if there's air.
If you can't afford to have it on a diag just yet - you should do as much research as you can, try the cliodci forums and also Renault Forums,
.i.e here's an issue that sounds pretty like yours - engine stop light flashes ~10 times on starting, has air in the line up to the primer ball (which i'm guessing is that hand pump)
http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=137563

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Air in the lines leading up from the tank is normal, won't really affect anything since it pulls up more fuel than the pump needs anyway. It's air in the lines between the pump and fuel filter that'll cause problems. It's a complete guessing game without diags though. The light being on in the first place is usually what causes the starting problems. It puts the car into a limp mode or something

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Well unless you can speak K-Line you're gonna be fucked then. It NEEDS diagnostics for you to stand a chance at fixing this.