ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3 months in an thinking of selling

Clio 172
I dont why i am posting this, maybe i am wanting reasons to keep the car and maybe i have already made my mind up. I am not sure but i might be looking to sell my Flamer 172 after just 3 months of having it.

Dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with the car and it drives like a dream its just i think i like something else and to get it i would need to sell the flamer.

As the car sits just now it has no side bullets, no wing mirror covers and it does look a sad little thing but that is going to change in the next week when i get my side bullets and wing mirror covers back newly painted gloss black. This will go hand in hand with my newly refurbed 172 alloys that are also gloss black and have brand new toyo t1-r's on them. I have also still to fit my brand new JMS induction kit that just came through last week and the car should look mint as i have had it lowered on eibach sportlines that have been on for only about a month.

My god reading that back it sounds like a for sale add:dapprove:. I just dont know what to do. The car in question that i am looking at is a Seat Ibiza Cupra and from what i have heard they are great cars. My mate had one and he loved it but i do enjoy the 172 and as mentioned before it should look the dogs b****cks when everything is on it.

Not sure what sort of replies i'll get about this post but i think i am just looking for some advice and direction on what to do.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Replies you get will be:

Handling on Ibiza is pish (normally from someone who has never driven one in their life)
Ibiza is boring to drive (again, normally from someone who has never driven one in their life)
Clio is best handling car in the world ever since the dawn of cars.
Clio would have Ibiza in the twisties
Supercharge your clio instead

Probably a few other shite responses too.

That pretty much sums it up so thread can be closed now.

Good luck

RB One Eight Two
keep the Flamer, its much better looking than the Ibiza Cupra LOL! Plus your 172 will look mint once you have finished doing what your going to do to it

It's A Reno
Replies you get will be:

Handling on Ibiza is pish (normally from someone who has never driven one in their life)
Ibiza is boring to drive (again, normally from someone who has never driven one in their life)
Clio is best handling car in the world ever since the dawn of cars.
Clio would have Ibiza in the twisties
Supercharge your clio instead

Probably a few other s**te responses too.

That pretty much sums it up so thread can be closed now.

Good luck

You've been throwing out some really negative vibes recenty. :)

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
What is making you want the Seat?
Maybe go test drive one, it might make your mind up!

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
You've been throwing out some really negative vibes recenty. :)

I know, its the effect this place has on you after a while i think you just turn into a negative arsehole like the majority of other people on here.

Personally, i'd go for the Ibiza, but thats because i love them (assuming your talking mk3 here and not mk2). 210bhp from a remap, lots of torque, awesome brakes.

I'd even suggest going for the FR tbh to save some cash, you can remap it to 210 like the cupra, it doesn't have the 4pots though. Its recommended to get an FMIC too though as the FR has a SMIC which isn't too good at the old air cooling.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I know, its the effect this place has on you after a while i think you just turn into a negative arsehole like the majority of other people on here.

Personally, i'd go for the Ibiza, but thats because i love them (assuming your talking mk3 here and not mk2). 210bhp from a remap, lots of torque, awesome brakes.

I'd even suggest going for the FR tbh to save some cash, you can remap it to 210 like the cupra, it doesn't have the 4pots though. Its recommended to get an FMIC too though as the FR has a SMIC which isn't too good at the old air cooling.
Yeah but they handle s**t.

Clio 172
My mate has 2 of them (Mk3)

His first one was a bit mad - Stage 2 Custom Code with a K03s Turbo, decat, manifold, FMC, and all sorts of removal of random valves you don't need and it was estimated around 250bhp - it was f**king rapid.

He put coilovers on it and made it rock hard and it didn't handle too well.

He has just bought another one, and its running about 210bhp with a K03 Turbo and no FMC and the coilovers on that are a little more forgiving and the car handles A LOT better.

I like the car a lot, I'm not keen on how it looks, its very powerful, very easy to modify and the gains you get from little money is outstanding.

The steering wheel doesn't feel connected to the wheels, but they say that about the 172, also even though it is VAG it still rattles its tits off like any other car in the world, and the build quality isn't outstanding like people think they are.

The 1.8 20vT engine isn't the best engine produced by VAG coilpacks, rad fans and various other different things go wrong with them.

You can't put a Atmospheric DV on them because they're re-circ turbo's but with the right setup and K03s turbo they are LOUD as f**k.

I would probably buy one, if it didn't cost so much to insure, also to find a tidy one you're paying 4 - 5k for essentially a 8 year old car, and with the current cost in fuel you will be paying out a lot of money in motion lotion. I did more than 1/4 tank of fuel in 18 miles in his first one.

Interior seats are VERY nice I like them a lot, but the handles and dash are suspect to wear and the stereo is awful - and you have to bodge in a aftermarket one.

SEAT Leon Cupra R - COMPLETELY different car, I'd choose one of them ;)

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
I've just come from an Ibiza Cupra to the 172.

Tbh from my experience the Clio is far far more fun to drive, it feels alive whereas the Biza felt dead and heavy to drive. Dont get me wrong the build quality was inevitably better on the Seat but the drive is nothing like the clio.

I for 1 am pleased I moved away to the Clio, suits my wants in a car and driving style much more, but then I've never been much a VAG fan with any of their cars I have owned.

You may be different but I thought I'd add my experiences with both.

320d
I'd keep the Clio. The Ibiza's are good cars however if I was to VAG i'd probably look towards something like the older shape S3's or Leon Cupra R's. Suposed to be a bit better to drive.

ph1 track weapon
i've owned both,

clio wins hands down every time. my ibiza was scarily quick in a straight line but show it a corner and it was crap.

contemplated selling my cup for some jap rwd fun but then realised that for the money and the cost of upkeep nothing touches the clio in terms of fun factor :)

Clio 172
Alexjfinch and si6v, thanks for the detailed opinions exactly what I wanted, much appreciated

The cupra I was looking at is 260bhp and looks nice, its not without a few faults though. It has a crease in the front wing that'll need fixed and few interior things as well need looked at.

I don't know if maybe it would be better to wait and keep my eyes open for a cupra r and save some money and go for that or possibly put money toward my 172 and get a 182.

clio 182
I'd choose Ibiza cupra up until i'd come up to a corner or roundabout, great car and got to say miss my old one, they go like stink and sound awesome, don't see many about either, they do have a heavy front end they grip well but Have no chuck in to a corner, completely different car to drive to the Clio, better built than a Clio but what I had the mk3 are an old car now and the FRs are ugly, so don't think I could swap back, just wish the Clio was abit faster in a straight line. Soz if that's no help lol.

Clio 172
You guys have been a great help, i think i might be leaning more to saving money and getting the 182, trophy or Cupra r.

Something real shitty just happened to me on my way back from work, some fucker had covered the road in paint and before i could notice as i was coming round the corner it was too late. It was all over the side of the car and underneath, honest i was furious what the f**k goes through some c***s heads?

Luckily i managed to get it all off, just a little on the tyres left but that will come off, my neighbour who gave me a shot of his hose said i was lucky it was emulsion and not gloss. Going to try find out tomorrow who the f**k put it there.

b******s

ff 182
nothing wrong with the seat's i came out a 172 2years ago and am still loving the fr had a remap looking for a fmic and exhaust system soon..handeling it's not to bad recomend geting rear antiroll bar + other little mods to improve ...they get the thumbs up from me!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've had a Ibiza Cupra and hated it. Lifeless steering, crap interior too understeery and really heavy doors! (?!)

Not for me ta.

Iceberg 172
I had an Ibiza Cupra and really liked it. I had the Revo remap, miltek and HR suspension.

They don't handle that well... I chopped mine in for a 106 GTI.
The std brakes are pish.
They have so many "common faults" you spend you life replacing frigging sensors / coilpacks / mafs etc etc.

But, they're an awesome car. Rare as rocking horse shite and with a remap they'll suprise most new not hatches.

But they are getting on a bit now and with miles on the clock they wear like theres no tomorrow.

You'd have to pay top money for one to get a nice one... and if i was paying that sort of money for an Ibiza i wouldn't get an ibiza!

It's your decision mate and no matter what is said on here you're going to do what you want to do!

All I'll say is this... I've owned so many hot hatches in the last few years and the Clio is the best package i've owned. It's not the best at anything, however, it does everything very very well and I can't think of anything else that compares for the money.

Iceberg 172
I see about 5 or 6 where I live, probably more than I see clio sports.

Erm, well, that's good for Clio's!!!! lol... where I live I only ever saw 1 other on the road when i had mine... and that was a guy from the forum i was meeting up with to buy his gauges!

Celica and Raptor.
Ive had one mate with a few little mods running around 210bhp quicker than the clio when you get going but SO boring so i sold it and kept the Clio Ph1 :D.

Good Luck.

Thanks Darren.

Clio 172
There was two ibiza cupra's i was looking at, one has 51k on the clock and has a crease in the wing priced at £4.4k that should be easily fixed and the other has 63k and has a cracked side split priced at £3.7k obviously i'd be looking to knock them down a bit.

Once i get the mods on my car i would probably be looking at around £3.75k for mine, whether i get it is another story right enough but it does have some brand new mods on it and is in good condition.

I keep swinging backward and forward and i am just not sure. I here so far about the handling of the cupra not bing great although my mate says his was good and he loved it. Said the build quality was also far superior to the Renault.

It also seems insurance would be cheaper for me on the cupra which i found crazy.

My options

Keep the 172 on 55k mileage

newly refurbed and gloss black alloys/brand new toyo t1-r tyres (not on yet)
new eibach sportlines (been on about 3weeks)
new JMS induction kit (not even on yet)

on payday

Buy a front splitter
Buy an RS tuner
Buy a new exhaust system

or

go for one of these in the links

in England
http://pistonheads.com/sales/1524757.htm

closer to home
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1553478.htm

Leon cupra near home
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1545779.htm

Leon cupra
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1532181.htm

Mini Cooper S sport
Steering on the Ibiza is pisch and the Clio will have it in the twisties*

* I have no idea if this is true, I've never driven an Ibiza

Iceberg 172
Those Ibiza's are awful!

1st - 260bhp out of a KO3s?? My mate had every single possible engine mod on his Ibiza using a KO3s turbo and his was making just shy of 250bhp... he then upgraded the turbo... to get more out of a KO3s he must have winded the boost up majorly.
The wheels are awful as are the seats.

2nd - 225bhp out of a KO3 turbo is just laughable. Especially with an open cone filter... unless it was RR'd in the Artic.

It's up to you but they look like sheds. The only 2 Ibiza's that have caught my eye recently were both over £5500... 1 Red and 1 Blue... but both were minty mint with the "right" mods... no silly power claims and no silly wheels. Both were lovingly cared for and probably mag feature worthy.

Try to get a standard one if you can unless it is clearly obvious that it's been treated right.

When I got mine you couldn't get them for under £6000 so not many were owned by idiots who couldn't afford to maintain them.

Now days you can pick them up for peanuts and they just get driven into the ground.

Clio 172
Both owners have sent me more pics of there motors, inside and out.

The 225 one sent a pic of the dyno as well so it looks genuine.

Mixed reviews on the cupra on here though. If I could get a 182 for about 4.5k things wouldn't be so bad but most at that price are high mileage