ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

4 pots

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Worst scenario - my front calipers, discs and pads need changing. total cost = about £500.

Whats the cheapest 4 pot kit available and would it contain everything needed to replace to exisiting calipers etc.

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
hispecmotorsport.co.uk @ £675, not sure if this is 'the' cheapest, should have all the bits.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
^ Matt black and buy 172 calipers and upgrade disks and pad. Alot cheaper and all you need.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I think they are bent - the car has done 62k - had new discs and pads less than 8 months ago and the discs are fooked and theres no pads left. The car feels unstable under braking and something squeaks as the wheel goes round. Its at Yozzasport this weekend so I might see if Fred can do me a deal on the 4 pot kit he was developing whilst its there. Also the MOT was due on wednesday so it needs to get sorted ASAP. Cost isn't really an issue tbh

Weeman sucks ****
The spring/release do end up sticking when they're knackered. Might have something to do with it.

Brembo 4pots...a grand..suits you.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
The system was bled twice and the calipers and pads greased about 2/3 months ago

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Clart said:
I think they are bent - the car has done 62k - had new discs and pads less than 8 months ago and the discs are fooked and theres no pads left. The car feels unstable under braking and something squeaks as the wheel goes round. Its at Yozzasport this weekend so I might see if Fred can do me a deal on the 4 pot kit he was developing whilst its there. Also the MOT was due on wednesday so it needs to get sorted ASAP. Cost isn't really an issue tbh

How have you bent your calipers ,lol ? I'd strip em down , clean em up , take out the piston and grease inside but seeing cash ain't an issue thats up to you .

I'd love to know how you've bent em , which part is bent ?

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I don't know mate i'm just going on what someone else has said. I haven't got time do do all that myself.

Getting back on topic. If the calipers ARE fooked, then £400 for Fred's 4 pot kit seems ok to me

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
CHRIS172CUP said:
The spring/release do end up sticking when they're knackered. Might have something to do with it.

Brembo 4pots...a grand..suits you.

What spring / release ??? Only springs are on rear calipers ( a return spring and 5 sprung thrustwashers ) and they are inside the caliper body itself which most people never see .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Clart said:
I don't know mate i'm just going on what someone else has said. I haven't got time do do all that myself.

Getting back on topic. If the calipers ARE fooked, then £400 for Fred's 4 pot kit seems ok to me

Ok , if you get em fitted , get some pics of the 4 pots up , would like to see em :)

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
if you can get 4 pots for close to the same money as replacing everything else why not eh, Freds hispec development kit which uses the standard disc size was £600 i think.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
haitch said:
if you can get 4 pots for close to the same money as replacing everything else why not eh, Freds hispec development kit which uses the standard disc size was £600 i think.

So would i mate . Refurbed calipers are about £100 each on an exchange basis . My only thought was how , IF at all are the calipers bent ?

If they are only slightly binding its not a hard job to fix .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Clart said:
Renault don't do exchanges on the calipers anymore.

A local motor factor shop should be able to get hold of em for ya or some companies on the net . I just just find it hard to believe that " both " calipers are bent .

Who actually said that they were bent ?

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
not both, just seems to be the near side.

Theres something obviously not right with the caliper as the newish disc on the outside is is marked and both pads are completely worn down.

Of course the problem could be a warped disc in which case I won't have this problem

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Clart said:
not both, just seems to be the near side.

Theres something obviously not right with the caliper as the newish disc on the outside is is marked and both pads are completely worn down.

Of course the problem could be a warped disc in which case I won't have this problem

Go for it then mate :) Just sounds like its a bit seized to me , could be sorted if thats all it is .

Exchange front calipers are about £84 if you choose this route instead :

http://www.speedways.co.uk/shop/

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
CHRIS172CUP said:
Sorry Billy, I meant the piston!

I'm a mechanical div!

Lol no probs .If its just the piston binding a bit , all you need to do is pop the piston out of the caliper body , check for rust obviously then copper grease the inside of the caliper , pop the piston back in jobs a good un . Doesn't take that long and costs are minimal , new fluid , a bit of copper grease .

300bhp MR2 Turbo
Motor factor shops nearly always offer exchange calipers.
Some places even sell DIY caliper refurb kits.

Weeman sucks ****
MRBILLYUK said:
Lol no probs .If its just the piston binding a bit , all you need to do is pop the piston out of the caliper body , check for rust obviously then copper grease the inside of the caliper , pop the piston back in jobs a good un . Doesn't take that long and costs are minimal , new fluid , a bit of copper grease .

Cheers. I can change discs and pads no problem, lol. How funny.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Matt16v said:
Motor factor shops nearly always offer exchange calipers.
Some places even sell DIY caliper refurb kits.

Renault should be able to get the caliper seal kits , or Peugeot , the calipers on the 172 or almost exactly the same as the calipers as on a Pug 306 S16 , same seal kit , cost about £25 ish last time i bought one but that was a couple of years ago .

172 Cup
£400 would be a bargin for 4 pots! i would go for that! also there is another brake place online. something like brakeparts.com or somthing. they are pretty cheap!

Clio 172 mk2
Aren't the OE calipers Bendix, Girling or Lucas ones which are used on lots of different car applications?...would of thought they would be easy to get hold of.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Neil G said:
Aren't the OE calipers Bendix, Girling or Lucas ones which are used on lots of different car applications?...would of thought they would be easy to get hold of.

Its not getting hold of em , its how much they cost , even from a breakers they can be £60 just for one .Then you don't know if its any good until you fit it .