ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

6 Speed Gear Box/Longer 5th to 182

Gordini 182!
Hi All,
I have been looking at recent posts regarding a 6 speed gear box and i have noticed that a lot of people are against the idea and have instead spoken about a longer 5th gear. I'm not 100% sure as to which would be best for my 182 therefore i thought id ask for people's opinions.

The reason why i'm wanting a 6 speed gear box is because i drive on the M1 everyday and i'm getting a little frustrated with the amount of screaming it does when ever i go over 70. Its not too bad at the moment with the "smart motorway" work which its currently taking years to complete however i would like to know wether i should fit a 6 speed gear box or go for the longer 5th.

If i went for the 6 speed gear box does anyone know which one would be best for F4R? Or how would i go about getting a longer 5th gear?

I would appreciate your help :)
Sarah

172 cup, Impreza P1
No matter what way you go, it's not going to be cheap. The 02M VAG box has been done but it's done mainly for strength and reliability on high powered engines. Getting a longer ratios could be done swapping to a dci JC5 box but on a 182 with standard power it would make it feel slower to accelerate but would make motorway driving more bearable.

Or lastly, you could have your gearbox rebuilt with a longer 5th gear from another box like the dci. Either way, you are looking at around £2.5k for the 02M, £500 plus a box for the dci swap and £275 plus £500ish for the rebuild of your box. A new clutch would be advisable when your at all of them.

There is the megane ND0 box as well but it would cost much the same as the VAG box I would think.

Gordini 182!
I wouldnt want the power to drop so the 6 speed gear box idea is out the window.

I like the sound of the longer 5th gear better, and fitting it/re-building wouldnt be a problem as my partner has his own garage so he would be able to do it, or at least show me how to do it! Its just a matter of finding the dci.

Thanks

172 cup, Impreza P1
The power wouldn't drop on an 02M but it would be overkill just for a longer top gear.

If you can cut down on the labour you be better with the dci box but as the ratios are longer it would slow down your acceleration.

Gordini 182!
I think i would prefer to find a longer 5th gear that would fit in the original housing. A taller 5th gear would make it perfect, everything else is fine.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Is there much between them?
I wouldn't say it was enough to make a noticeable difference. It would only bring the engine speed down from approx 3300rpm@70mph to 3100rpm (assuming 205/45r16 tyres). Although on saying that swapping in the 5th gear from a dci box (JC5-128 I think?) would make less of a difference still. The final drive is what makes the biggest difference in those.

Listerine & Poledo
Without wishing to sound rude, but with the cost involved, can't you buy a £2.5k motorway chugger and use that instead?

It's a lot of effort for motorway driving.

That ^

2.5k will buy a diesel barge that will be much cheaper to run, and then you can keep the Clio as you want it for non-commuting use.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Just fit a ph1 gearbox. Far easier and it gives you more top end over the gearbox you currently have.
As Mark has said, fit the Ph1 box. You get a 3.89 final drive instead of the 4.07. It'll make it sit around 3000rpm at 70mpg with 205/45/16 tyres.

The 5th gear in there is already quite tall because the final drive is fairly short. You could find an even longer final drive from a diesel box (or even fit a diesel box). I wouldn't think acceleration would be great though and the gear ratios will have an uneven spread i.e a short 1st and 2nd then a big jump to 3rd, 4th and 5th.

Listerine & Poledo
Frankly, sporty Clios aren't made for grand touring.
Every option mooted so far will cost more than just getting, I dunno, a Golf V Tdi, with cruise, climate and leather. It might have interstellar mileage, but it'll cost 1/2 the fuel and you can treat it to all the cheapest pattern parts if it ever gave any grief.

As for the effect of ratios on performance....0-60 will be about the same
but there'll be a drop in pull from 4th and 5th....but from what I remember there isn't a huge amount left to give by the time you're trying to redline those gears anyway

Gordini 182!
Without wishing to sound rude, but with the cost involved, can't you buy a £2.5k motorway chugger and use that instead?

It's a lot of effort for motorway driving.
That's a good point however I like driving my 182, although it's noisy on the motorway it's still very fun to drive and getting a second car would mean only driving it at the weekend.

Gordini 182!
Thanks for all your comment guys, really appreciate it! Have lots to think about.
I'm starting to think I should just leave it, like some of you said it's a sporty car at the end of the day!