ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

70 in a 50 zone what’s going to happen

Was my mom. It was on the M6 and we were doing roughly 70 (my mom actually doesnt drive that fast) but neither of us realised it was a 50 zone and a camera flashed us. (Was one of those ones where there are no white lines on the floor)

Feel really guilty coz she was taking me somewhere and I was larking about in the car and probably caused her to not notice the 50 signs.

Whats gonna happen dudes?

Should be the standard £60 fine and 3 points

If youre really unlucky theyll inforce a harsher fine or points due to it being a 50 limit for roadworks, shes probably just get the standard.

E36 323i coupe

She will get 3pts and a £60 fine, if unlucky; but if on the motorway, unlikely to be any film in. The ones that get you on the motorway are the digital ones that dont flash. Most are set to take a picture only if drivers are going over 60 in the 50.

Normally 70 in a genuine 50 narrowly enters the territory of court appearances.

You are allowed 10%+2... ie they cant do you until you exceed 57mph. Then between 57 and 69 its points and a fine, and anything over 69mph, means a court appearance. But that is worst case scenario.

Dont panic. It is HIGHLY unlikely.

Elise/VX220/R26

I got 6 point and £200 for 80 in a 50 so I think it should come within 3 points but might go to court. But chances of film been in are still slim till they all go digital.

Can you remember who was driving;)

I think its the case that if you dont know who was driving at the time they cant give points to anybody, however the registered keeper will get fine.

Quote: Originally posted by CraigM on 23 September 2003

Can you remember who was driving;)

I think its the case that if you dont know who was driving at the time they cant give points to anybody, however the registered keeper will get fine.

You wont get away with that one anymore!

Elise/VX220/R26

Quote: Originally posted by Jon1978 on 23 September 2003
You are allowed 10%+2...

Thats one of the most misquoted things I see all the time when talking about speeding. They can do you for doing 31 in a 30 if they want but the % which is I think 6% they "allow" is in case your speedo is incorrectly callibrated and you could claim that you were doin gan indicated 30 when really you were doing 33 or whatever. All this +2 stuff is just an urban myth. What would the point in having a 30 limit be if the actual limit is 30 + 10% + 2?? The speed limit is the speed limit but a small percentage is allowed to secure a conviction thats all.

E36 323i coupe

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 23 September 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Jon1978 on 23 September 2003You are allowed 10%+2...

Thats one of the most misquoted things I see all the time when talking about speeding. They can do you for doing 31 in a 30 if they want but the % which is I think 6% they "allow" is in case your speedo is incorrectly callibrated and you could claim that you were doin gan indicated 30 when really you were doing 33 or whatever. All this +2 stuff is just an urban myth
. What would the point in having a 30 limit be if the actual limit is 30 + 10% + 2?? The speed limit is the speed limit but a small percentage is allowed to secure a conviction thats all.

Sorry old chap, but I am a trained Police Officer, and I have, sitting in front of me, from the Police Training manual, the chapter on Traffic.... it says you must allow 10% + 2.

EG.
30mph zone - Warning = 31-35
FPN = 36-48
Summons = 48+

If you get stopped at the roadside by any officer, and you are offered the choice of FPN or court appearance, and the officer states you were doing a speed within the Warning margin of 10% + 2, then take the court option. You will win. If you have recently paid a fine, then you have a fortnight to appeal.

If I can get hold of a scanner, Ill post this section on here.

sorry OFFICER but you are wrong id get a new copy of the manual if i were you

police officers are allowed to have a ZERO tolerence on speeding but this is down to the individual officer

jaimie

New camera regulations
Must be visible and well signed
Sites must be shown to have the greatest casualty problems
Speed surveys must prove existing speeding problem
Must not be placed for political/money-making purposes

The equipment must also be calibrated. I think the law should be that speeders who exceed the limit twice in a year (+/- 20 mph) should then be fined and endorsed. I also dont agree with revenue being kept by forces!

Golf 1.4 TSI

Quote: Originally posted by Mike Wright on 23 September 2003

New camera regulations
Must be visible and well signed
Sites must be shown to have the greatest casualty problems
Speed surveys must prove existing speeding problem
Must not be placed for political/money-making purposes

The equipment must also be calibrated. I think the law should be that speeders who exceed the limit twice in a year ( 20 mph) should then be fined and endorsed. I also dont agree with revenue being kept by forces!
thats only if they have decided to be allowed to keep the revenue from the fines. the ones where the fines go back to the government have no official guidelines. so i have been led to believe anyway

Quote: Originally posted by Dave Cli02 on 23 September 2003Cant you take 1.5 of the points Ben... ;)

LOL If I could I would, but then Ive just bought a 16v chamade so probably not.

First time my mom will have been in trouble for anything in her life I reckon. Sorry mom :oops: