ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

'98 1.2 using lots of oil....

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Any ideas what this could be? My brothers gf has a 1998 1.2 clio and its using LOTS of oil. It's recently got through over a litre in 300 miles.

it isn't leaking it, so must be burning it. It's done fairly high miles (circa 140k). Could it be rings? Or valve stem seals?

would it be easiest just to drop a younger engine or at least one with less miles in it?

BMW M135i
Probably rings to be going through it that fast, cheapest and easiest option would be a replacement engine yes. Should be able to get a D7F for peanuts on ebay etc.

Renault Clio MK4 RS
mine was going through oil like mad a few weeks back, turned out to be an weeping oil pressure switch and when going 60+ it was chugging it like mad and didnt see that it was leaking until car was up on ramp and could see right under the engine :)

182 trophy
Burnin lots of oil is usually pretty noticeable with lots of blue smoke behind u and a lack of power,have known the pressure sensor leaking so worth checking, head gasket? Ur oil isn't goin into ur coolant is it?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Had a text from my brother today, things seem to have gotten worse. Now seems to be running on 2/3 cylinders. Going to go and have a look/listen at the weekend.

could be head gasket, but as far as I know it's not lost or used and coolant.

182 trophy
My sisters Ibiza done the same thing, the plugs would get covered in oil an stop firing, I just used to whip the plugs out once a fortnight an clean em up then it would b ok again, never got round to curing the high oil consumption though ;) you could always try some "engine stop smoke" it's made by wynns I think, it's like a treacle you add into the oil, supposed to seal worn rings, valve stem seals etc might b worth a shot, even if its a temp fix to sell the car on?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
My sisters Ibiza done the same thing, the plugs would get covered in oil an stop firing, I just used to whip the plugs out once a fortnight an clean em up then it would b ok again, never got round to curing the high oil consumption though ;) you could always try some "engine stop smoke" it's made by wynns I think, it's like a treacle you add into the oil, supposed to seal worn rings, valve stem seals etc might b worth a shot, even if its a temp fix to sell the car on?

I could never do that personally, sell it on I mean.

We can pick an engine up for <£200 so I think that's the plan if it turns out the be terminal