ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A B S / ESP lights always on

Hey there,

Had these lights appear months ago on my '04 Clio 182, they would disappear after driving for a while then they became permanent fixtures i.e. they are on as soon as I start the car.

So far I have ...

- Changed passenger front ABS sensor
- Checked & cleaned sensor plugs
- Checked sensor plugs with multimeter [rears fine]
- Checked & cleaned ABS rings
- Disconnected each sensor and checked codes
- Checked brake pedal sensor
- Checked brake fluid level [at max]

So the front sensors both seem to be at fault, waiting for drivers front sensor to arrive.

The problem I have is the ABS module is giving me 3 codes, the reader I am using doesn't provide any description nor can I find any info online aside from C1111.

C1111 - Pump Motor issue
C10E1 - no description
C1001 - no description, but assuming this is the drivers front sensor, when I unplug the sensor the code remains and no other codes shown [when I unplug other sensors this code disappears except for drivers front]

Could the issue with the drivers front sensor be triggering those 2 other codes?
Just thinking out loud but if the ABS module is getting no signal from the bad sensor then that could trigger the fault code with the Pump / Actuator.

There is no change in brake pedal feel, so I'm guessing its not a failure with the ABS pump itself.

Has anyone had any experience like this?

Thanks

Just to close this out, if anyone else sees similar codes etc.

I used garagepro on android, it can read ABS, connected to a bluetooth OBDLink adapter.

C1001 is the drivers front ABS sensor
C1010? I guess is passenger front
C1020 passenger rear
C1030 drivers rear

The other codes C1111 & C10E1 are triggered because of the sensor fault.

In my case I had bad voltage on passenger front sensor, then checked codes and same fault on drivers front sensor.

Replace both sensors in place, chisel of the plastic and metal brace around the screw and it should loosen with a pair of grips. The sensor itself needed to be cut then drilled, keep removing as much of the plastic casing and it can be levered from below with a flat head. Would be much easier to remove the hub.
Give the area a good file and stiff brush, file inside the sensor hole to remove any crud, as it is a tight fit.

I remember months back the ABS kicked in, it was off and on for a few weeks then always on. This seems to be the warning signs that the sensors are failing, probably because the sensors rusted over or caked in dirt grease.

Hope it helps