ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange 500mph (!) wheel speed sensor issue

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Almost proud of my car for having an issue that a garage of 40 years has never seen before on any car. My ABS, ESP and SERV lights come on together every now and then, and my ABS either fires unnecessarily or it doesn't work at all. So I took the car to a garage who plugged it in, and noted that the left (aka nearside) rear wheel was shown as doing something strange on the diagnostics computer.

With the car off the ground, when only the offside rear wheel was spun by hand, both rear wheels were shown as spinning on the computer. Not only that, but the nearside rear was shown as spinning at about 500mph, even though it was completely stationary. And then, by contrast, if just the nearside wheel was spun (and the offside was left still), the computer reckoned both wheels were stationary.

It seems as though the offside rear wheel sensor is working fine for that side, sending accurate readings to the computer, but somehow, it's having an impact on the nearside rear wheel's reading and causing the computer to think it's doing 500mph.

Has anyone seen this before? The mechanic reckoned that because the ABS sensor wires for the back wheels are separate all the way up to the ABS pump at the front, that it may be the pump itself causing the issue. If it's not that, he couldn't understand how the signal from one rear wheel would 'contaminate' the signal of the other's.

Before I look into the potentially complicated job of an ABS pump replacement, I just wanted to check if anyone recognised those symptoms?