ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A close call

RB182FF & Mini
So I went to get my new tyres fitted in Demon Tweeks this evening... thought I'd risk driving home low on fuel... light had come on so I set cruise to 56 and prayed.

I could see the petrol station in the distance so I relaxed a little, pulled in and my car cut out!!!

I had to push my car to the pump LOL!

Anyone else had a close call today? ;-)

LYV6, 182, R5GTT
I've had exactly this!

Literally pulling onto the forecourt and my engine cut out

RB182FF & Mini
I've had exactly this!

Literally pulling onto the forecourt and my engine cut out

Haha, I couldn't believe it!!

To make matters worse the petrol station was rammed with people.... you know when everyone's darting over into different pump because they can't spare 3 minutes of their precious lives!

Fun times

RB 182 195bhp
I'm a tart lol I panic when it gets low lol always bottle it and fill up , I've only seen the fuel light twice in my two years ownership, and that includes when it was on when I fetched it hahaha !

I'm exactly the same haha. I've owned mine a year and a bit now and the only time I've seen the fuel lights when I picked it up from the dealer lol

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I have been down to 50 miles in my 200 according to the trip. No fuel light though, never seen it on. Wonder how low I would have to go?

clio 197, 1992 mini
I have been down to 50 miles in my 200 according to the trip. No fuel light though, never seen it on. Wonder how low I would have to go?
The fuel light comes on when you have about 30 miles to go and it makes a loud beep I hardly ever let mine come on so if it does I always sh*t my self lol

Trophy #491
Never been close in my car. But have done it in my Dads old car. Didnt quite cut out but was very close

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Done plenty of times with the cars from work. Literally cut out driving in and coasted to the pump lol

S4 Avant
I always fill mine up when it gets to halfway, don't want to drag the crap at the bottom of the tank through the fuel system. Got a 150 mile trip to do this weekend so ill probably have to stop at least once.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I always fill mine up when it gets to halfway, don't want to drag the crap at the bottom of the tank through the fuel system. Got a 150 mile trip to do this weekend so ill probably have to stop at least once.

It's more about s**t floating on the surface tbh. But yeah, this is why I always top up before.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member

This here, I've developed an OCD over it I think lol :eek:

I get annoyed and my half is pretty much how most probably feel when the light comes on lol.

Never ever run out of fuel, in the clio though my light will come on at the red, the needle will go the whole way through, and the light goes off but it'll still run! I usually always get fuel asap then though, don't want a steep hill to cut the fuel off!

​Is there an easy way to 'wash' the fuel system of all the crud?

Fiesta ST2 MP215
You know the engine can get really hot when you run it out of fuel? check the cat underneath next time and it'll probably be glowing.
Not a great idea to run it out, neither is it to bounce it off the starter motor from being to weak to push it lol
on a 1*2 you have 5 litres left when the light comes on, so just over a gallon, if you do the math you'll know the risk.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
​Is there an easy way to 'wash' the fuel system of all the crud?

Stopped believing this ages ago, took an old VX apart that had done 115K and around 13 years old, still had the same fuel filter, split it open and no way can there be that much crap in there to affect the running of a car, didn't look that much difference from a new one.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I've never ran out of petrol but I have been stuck over night in a sleepy fishing village in the middle of f**king no where, in December, in Scotland. Not good!

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Happened to my Cup a few weeks ago. I managed to coast into the petrol station. It left me with a misfire/blocked injector on cylinder 1, though.

172 Cup
If I'm within 15 miles of a petrol station then I'll happily run it until the fuel light comes on, but if I'm doing a long journey I'll fill up once it gets as low as the lowest white bar on the gauge.

Clio 182 arctic
I've never run out in the 182 but drove from past saddleworth on the m62 all the way back to preston with the light on. It was like 42 miles.
The worst thing was I talked myself out of getting off at the junction before my exit trying to push it and there was an accident up ahead, with the matrix reading 'use hard shoulder' I have never been so afraid in all my life. Never again. I did make it though, I imagine only just mind.

The solution
dexq1u.jpg

Mini Cooper S sport
I managed to get 34 point something litres of fuel in my tank the other day, it's only a 35 litre tank!

Hate driving with low fuel, I try to avoid it.

55 Clio 182, C2 VTS
In the old clapped out Rover I ran out of fuel... right behind where an accident had occurred about 500yrds from a petrol station. I got the jerry-can out the boot and legged it to the petrol station whilst 2 helpful traffic officers pushed it out of the way :D
I was expecting to run out of fuel as I'd picked it up from where the missus works and she'd told me she'd driven to work with the light on :mad:

In the 182 if the light comes on I go straight to the nearest station. The missus is a nightmare though, she's always driving round with the light on in her car, really annoys me!

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
The fuel light comes on when you have about 30 miles to go and it makes a loud beep I hardly ever let mine come on so if it does I always sh*t my self lol

The majority of cars are set so the light comes on when you have a gallon of fuel left, so it depends on how you are driving to what the range will say you then have available.

Only ever run out once, in my works Vivaro van and half a mile away in the distance was the petrol station, luckily a colleague was behind me so he just bumped up behind me and pushed me along the road and on to the forecourt, it was funny at the time.

Clio 172 phase 1
A close call today....... In the car hmm yeh ive got a corbeau revenge seat and it pushes my legs together... I've been feeling a bit blah for a few days on my journey to work thought I'd muster a good morning fart .. As I'm all clenched in the seat I had to push was a very close call luckily I arrived in the works car park and managed to hit the pan .... Was way to close to call

Mk3 1.4 Dynamique
A close call today....... In the car hmm yeh ive got a corbeau revenge seat and it pushes my legs together... I've been feeling a bit blah for a few days on my journey to work thought I'd muster a good morning fart .. As I'm all clenched in the seat I had to push was a very close call luckily I arrived in the works car park and managed to hit the pan .... Was way to close to call

PMSL!! Brilliant!!