ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A tip for everyone when applying wax...

On top surfaces such as the roof, bonnet top mirrors etc use front car to back car motion when applying wax.

On side surfaces such as doors tailgate front rear bumper etc use up, down motion when applying wax.

This will help to increase shine and reflectivity

106 GTi
There is a purpose of the motion you describe is so that if you create any marks etc they will not be as visable due to the way the light catches, the shine thing is a new one on me and sounds a bit of a marketing gimmick IMO.

I have heard that theory but have never found it to work,

Its also not easy to do when hand applying zymol waxes. A tecnique of highlighting will give you better results.

Rich mate I'm still hung over so you explain highlighting ;)

There is a purpose of the motion you describe is so that if you create any marks etc they will not be as visable due to the way the light catches, the shine thing is a new one on me and sounds a bit of a marketing gimmick IMO.

this is the quote from chemical guys:

1. Apply a thin coat working small 1-2 foot area at a time using quality cotton or micro fiber cloth or applicator pad.
  2. On top panels, use front-to-back hand motions. On side panels, use up-and-down hand motions. This helps improve reflectivity. Heavy rubbing is not necessary.
  3. Allow several minutes to haze or wipe off immediately using a clean, quality cotton or micro fiber towel to buff off and reveal the hidden beauty, shine and gloss of your paint.

Mito Sportiva 135
All that is important from my experience is applying wax in straight lines rather than circular for a more even surface coverage and apparently bonds better to the surface below.

Can't really see how the direction you apply in really makes a difference but could be wrong, may well be something to do with the molecular structure of the paint (like a diamond structure versus a graphite structure). Just a guess though.

106 GTi
I have heard that theory but have never found it to work,

Its also not easy to do when hand applying zymol waxes. A tecnique of highlighting will give you better results.

Rich mate I'm still hung over so you explain highlighting ;)

To much Stella, Grolsch and Moonlight will do you no good boy!

106 GTi
All that is important from my experience is applying wax in straight lines rather than circular for a more even surface coverage and apparently bonds better to the surface below.

That is a new one on me aswell.

Main reason circular motions where frowned up on was the fact if you where using abrassives not worked properly and broken down they would install swirls you would see badly.