ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Abit worried now about the Gearbox!

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Just had to put 2L (more needed) of oil in the gearbox! Noticed something the other day when changing gear became different to normal so thought i`d check mounts then do oil, good job! was shocked at how much needed to be put in, i`ve had the car since march and never checked before now. Any warning signs i should be looking for that will lead to a fooked box???

Ph1
IIRC the gearbox holds 3.1 litres so it fairly emptied its self out. Im guessing the underside of your car is caked in gearbox oil ?

If the gearbox is working fine now its topped up and its leaking oil then probably just a seal

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Going to put another 1L in tomorrow and see how much it takes. I checked uunderneath and its not to bad so it could have been low on oil for ages! Been reading and afew people have the same problem with a leak, going to keep an eye on it. Still got a Warrenty so thats a plus.

Ph1
Believe they have a tendancy to leak from the selector seal but not to the extent of needing to top up litre wise, more just a common trait with these. If theres not bucket loads of oil under the car which there really should be if youve just dumped 2 litres of oil then its probably just been a low level. Make sure your sump plug is done right too.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I assume your filling it from the butterfly bolt thingy and not the breather on the top?

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Yeah thats what i`ve heard, i think it has just been running low to be honest cause theres never any oil marks on the floor. I Used the thing thats under the airbox to get oil in, couldnt see anything else and other threads on here say thats what you use.

monaco 172
What did the filler cap look like?

If it wasn't the butterfly shaped plastic plug then you've done something wrong.

The correct oil level is when it is level with the filler hole.

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Its underneath the airbox, a white plastic cap fixed to a tube about 2"inch long that plugs into the gearbox, that the correct place?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Nope! looks like your filling it from the top!

Sounds like you've overfilled it.

172 Race Car
Yep thats the breather.

Filler is on the front (radiator side) of the box.

So now you have overfilled it by 3 litres

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ho sheet.

It's really easy to empty out, but will be messy.

Just open the correct butterfly, and let it flow out. when it pretty much completely stopped, screw it back on.

Clio 172
My gearbox is leaking quite bad but need to find someone trustworthy in Newcastle area - any recommendations? Local garage have said its too mucky for them to see where the leak is, god knows why they cant clean some of it off to see though.

Ph1
My gearbox is leaking quite bad but need to find someone trustworthy in Newcastle area - any recommendations? Local garage have said its too mucky for them to see where the leak is, god knows why they cant clean some of it off to see though.

Too mucky for them to see hahaha some of the things garages tell folk is unreal like.

You should have told him ''well fcuking man up and clean it then'' !!

Black Gold Trophy
to be fair it's the sort of job that no garage likes doing as it's a pain in the arse and people are rarely willing to pay much for it.

The OP is filling the oil in the correct place by the sounds of it. The correct procedure is to park the vehicle on level ground and undo the plastic thumb screw on the front and fill from the top plug until the oil seeps out of the front.