ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adding GF as a named driver

So I'm giving my GF one of my cars (09 c220 sport) as she has just passed her driving test (28 yo). I will take out a policy in my name and add her as a named driver as it will be cheaper that way I think.

My question is this: If she is involved in an accident will this affect me in any way? Will I lose my no claims bonus on that policy? Will it affect future insurance for me?

Thanks.

A4 Avant
What you're talking about doing is insurance fronting I think. If she is the main driver she needs the insurance for that car in her name. I'm sure I've heard of people not being paid out on claims because of this, there was a major push to crackdown on it a few years ago. Also I don't think she earns no claims being a named driver so at some point when she does want her own insurance it'll be expensive still.

So I'm giving my GF one of my cars (09 c220 sport) as she has just passed her driving test (28 yo). I will take out a policy in my name and add her as a named driver as it will be cheaper that way I think.

My question is this: If she is involved in an accident will this affect me in any way? Will I lose my no claims bonus on that policy? Will it affect future insurance for me?

Thanks.

Somebody must know?

I'll ring some scammers in the morning and find out.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
If she does more miles in the car than you, with it insured in your name, it is fronting, as far as I'm aware. As for the NCB for named drivers, some companies do, but I think it's the norm for only that company to then accept it as credible NCB in future; if you go elsewhere after they may choose to not recognise it - I think Admiral do this quite commonly, keeping you within their business.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
If the insurance company deem it to be fronting (ie pretending you are the main driver) you will not be covered and lose your NCB.
Might be different for other company's but I imagine there the same.

I didn't ask weather it was fronting or not, I will probably do more miles than her so please people stop telling me that.

This is what I'm asking ----->My question is this: If she is involved in an accident will this affect me in any way? Will I lose my no claims bonus on that policy? Will it affect future insurance for me?

172 Rally Car
I would think so as it would be a claim on your policy, but it wouldn't be an accident on your record though I shouldn't imagine

I would think so as it would be a claim on your policy, but it wouldn't be an accident on your record though I shouldn't imagine

Ok that would be fine so I would lose that set of no claims but it wouldn't affect my other sets of no claims ( I have a few separate sets of no claims bonus built up used on other cars) or affect my personal accident record for future policy's.

Anyone else confirm this to be true?

Last edited:
  172 Rally Car
Ok that would be fine so I would lose that set of no claims but it wouldn't affect my other sets of no claims ( I have a few separate sets of no claims bonus used on other cars) or affect my personal accident record for future policy's.

Anyone else confirm this to be true?

To be honest I would think you would loose no claims on all policies as you have made a claim

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Josh, phone and ask the insurance company. Not one reply in this thread is even remotely helpful from what i can see. Fronting, who really gives a flying f**k!

Josh, phone and ask the insurance company. Not one reply in this thread is even remotely helpful from what i can see. Fronting, who really gives a flying f**k!

I know mate I will ring in the morning I just hate ringing them takes ages to speak to someone and then you get some clueless foreign knacker.

Black 172
Its not fronting if you tell them the correct information.

So if you are the owner and registered keeper of the car and she is the main user and that is what you say then you are not fronting.

Fronting you say you are all of the above in order to reduce the premium for someone else - hence fronting for someone else.

RE: claims affecting your bonus - i take it you have another separate bonus you can use? You can't use it twice?

Black 172
Danny - Quite a few people give a flying when their insurance policies are voided - and they are left liable for the other parties claims costs - i know of several cases running into the ten's of thousands - plus try getting insured again once you've had a policy voided...

RE: claims affecting your bonus - i take it you have another separate bonus you can use? You can't use it twice?

Yes I have 3 different policy's running all with different sets of no claims being used. So does that mean only one set would be lost if she had an accident?

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member

Thanks.

yes to all you questions. You both will be liable! she will have to tell her future insurers that she had a claim as a driver and you will have to declare as it was a claim on your policy.

Its illegal so expect to be bummed

If she has a accident then yes you will loss some no claims(unless protected) and also have to declare it for the next 3yrs.

Which in turn will put your insurance up on all your own cars.

It's really not worth it plus its better if she builds up her own no claims, surely a 28yr old woman will be cheap enough anyway?

The better option into put her main and you name to bring it down a little.

I experienced this first hand as I thought I'd be a clever b*****d and put my partner as name when she was Infact he main. I lost 3yrs no claims and now have to declare on my own insure. I always thought it wouldn't happen to me. c**t

It's properly confusing to me insurance...

So I've got 4 policy's currently running ....
Policy 1 has 9 years no claims,
Policy 2 has 9 years no claims,
Policy 3 has 4 years no claims,
Policy 4 has 9 years but is a mirror of policy 1
All policy's are no claims bonus protected.

So policy 2 is for the merc if she has an accident on this policy I will lose my no claims bonus on this policy only? The others won't be affected? Even though it's protected?

And I will have an accident/claim I would have to declare in future on all policy's?

It's really not worth it plus its better if she builds up her own no claims, surely a 28yr old woman will be cheap enough anyway?

The better option into put her main and you name to bring it down a little.

I'll probably end up doing this if it's not to expensive mate I will get her to do some quotes. she only past her test a month ago.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
You have to declare the accident to all your insurers, it's there discretion if you lose your NCB. Ref ABI

I never really had more than 2 policy's but my understanding has always been the NCB is to your name not the car/policy.

I would think if anything did happen then you would have to tell all policys and also your NCB on all policy's would be reduced by however much the unsure take away from you for the incident.

I.e if they deducted you 3yrs for the incident then all the policy's above would be reduced by 3yrs NCB and also have to record the claim. *wouldnt effect you being protected*

Better to just separate yourself as a name you'll be fine.

Why does P3 only have 4yrs NCB, surely they should all be the same?

Last edited:

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
from what i understand.

when it comes to renewing your policies. YOu have to say that you had a claim on policy 2.

You will still have ncb as they are all protected (upto the protected value) but you subsequent policies will still be at a higher premium

Starting to make sense of it now and looks like setting up her own policy is the wise choice...depending on the cost that is...and how much I trust the b**ch not to crash ha

Why does P3 only have 4yrs NCB, surely they should all be the same?

Because I got another car and started a fresh policy mate that's all.

172 Rally Car
from what i understand.

when it comes to renewing your policies. YOu have to say that you had a claim on policy 2.

You will still have ncb as they are all protected (upto the protected value) but you subsequent policies will still be at a higher premium

This is how I see it too, a claim but not an accident

Black 172
The easiest way to explain NCB is treat it like currency.

You have 22 years (as the other 9 is mirror totalling 31)

If you have an accident and the policy reduces by 2 you now have 20 years (or 27 if its your mirror you drop it on)

You could take out 22 policies with 1 NCB each! Or 1 with 22.

In reality most insurers stop any extra discount between 6 and 9.

How does that work?

OP is 26 if I'm correct so how can he accumulate 22years?

I now you can only use your NCB on one policy though.

RyanS182

ClioSport Club Member
  RB Clio 200
Protect your NCB, then if she crashes you don't lose the NCB but you can't protect them next time. Well, most insurers wont let you protect them again. As for the fronting b****cks, they have to prove she's the main driver. They can ask neighbours etc.

Listerine & Poledo
If she dings it, it hits your policy. Whether you were there or not

because it's your policy.

I had the same when the ex got broadsided by some geriatric in a golf

182 track, Mk7 ST
PM Neil at Greenlight on here, I'm sure he'll be able to give you a definite answer to your questions mate

Black 172
If he has 3 policies running from the age of 17. By the time he is 26 he has accumulated 9 years on each policy - he therefore would have 27.

Same as if you saved 3 pounds every year, you'd have saved 27 after 9 years, but you could spend 9 pounds on 3 different things out of your 27.

Well its £1117 with her own policy with me added or its £470 with her added to my policy (just an extra £80 to add her) .... so I know which route we will be taking lol.