ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adjusting Fuel?

ClioSport 172
I have been told....although i'm not entirely sure if this is the case.

Is there some way of adjusting the amount of fuel going into the engine?

My poor wee clio has just failed its mot on emissions....and i've got a list of things it could be....

Exhaust needs patching - failing that new centre pipe.

Lambda sensors

Leak in the Air IntakePipe

Fuel Injectors.

Any others that i've missed...?

I shall be patching the exhaust this wk and checking pipes for leaks.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
By replacing the lambda sensor if its faulty that will change the amount of fuel going into the engine as the ECU uses feedback from the sensor to determine how much fuel to add.

ClioSport 172
I've had it plugged into the machine.

It's been missing for a little while now....but nothing was showing up on the Diagnostics.

I thought the misfiring may have had something to do with it failing on emissions?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What misfiring? you havent mentioned any misfiring in your original post?

If its got a misfire then yes that will greatly effect emissions.

ClioSport 172
Apologies.....i think everyone must be getting sick of the sight of me in here.

I have mentioned it in prevoious posts.

It started of....missing below 2k revs....but above that it was fine.

Now it feels like it redlines above 4.5k revs.

I never really boot the car so it hasn't been much of an issue....but don't know where to start first.

I've done the leads/plugs and coil pack but no difference....i was about to get the injectors done but a friend reckons its not. He said you can adjust fuel intake? Not sure though.

So....still at square one. I'll check for an air leak tonight and get exhaust fixed.

As for misfire....lambda/injectors.....no one wants to go near the injectors though? Are they that bad?

Cheers

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
your friend says you can "adjust fuel intake" lol

He sounds like a right expert, why not hand your car over to him and just get it back when its all perfect?

Intake leaks on these engines have far less effect than on some, due to the MAP being speed/density based not mass airflow based.
Still worth checking though.

Injectors are a piece of cake to change, and not uncommon for them to go wrong, I can recomed you somewhere to flowtest them if you really want to know definitively if they are ok or not but you'll be without them for a few days as you'll have to post them off.

I think its pointless you looking for other faults till you have fixed things like the exhaust leak though TBH, fix the things you know are wrong first as they might be misleading you into thinking other things are wrong too (like lambda will misread if there is an exhaust leak before it for example)

ClioSport 172
My "mate" is no expert, thats not exactly what he said....it was me who probably typed it wrong, lol.

It was something along those lines....thought i may be able to adjust it slightly just to alter emissions reading.

I have replaced the could pack....not didn't make any difference.

Shall look into Lambda sensor....the 2 main things folk have been telling me are the injectors and lambda sensors?

Not sure which to change first as money a little tight at the moment :(

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If your thermostat isnt operating correctly the car might not be getting upto temp enough to enter closed loop so wont be looking at the lambda sensor in the first place for example.

Its quite easy to misdiagnose stuff like that, as yes in that example the lambda isnt working, but only cause its not trying to.

You really need to get someone who actually has a clue what they are on about to look at the car for you as it sounds like at the moment you have been just listening to random guesses.

ClioSport 172
I think you might be right.

My friend who usually does the work for me is offshore at the minute.

I'm just at a loose end....i'll need to find a decent garage to put it into.

Just looking for help/clues on here....alot of folk have said injectors/lambda sensor....me, personally....i haven't an f'ing clue really.

I know my cars....but not a thing about the mechanics.

ClioSport 172
So....after reading through a few threads on here relating to the issue i have with the misfiring.

It would appear that maybe swapping round the lambda sensors would be a good idea to see if it makes a difference?