ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice needed!

Black 172
Hi peeps,

Just need a little advice go easy on me because I havn't been around long!
I've recently purchased a 172 and touch wood everything seems to be going smoothly, the guy a bought it of has loads of reciepts for the car and had regular servicing (twice a year!) The car has just ticked over to 75,000 miles and I have been reading alot on here about the cambelts need doing etc.

The thing is I have a receipt from the cambelt which says:

Supply and fit...
Cambelt Kit...
goodyear Belt...

Then the price at the bottom which is £225

The part that worrys me is the cost as most cambelt prices I've seen have been crazy and this seems a little cheap.

So is there anyway I can find out if the cambelt has been changed without taking it to a garage or not, or can you actually tell by looking at the belts etc?

Cheers

Rob :cool::cool:

Mondeo TDCI 130
Does sound cheap, what does it say on the invoice? how much are the bits or are they not itemised?!

is it a 172 cup?

Black 172
Its just a 172 as It has all the goodies and comfort, the bis aren't priced individually its just written how I've put it in my post above!

It's signed and dated on 21/02/08

Mondeo TDCI 130
Its possible, sounds like it has just had an auxiliary belt and not an auxilary belt kit, thats fine as long as the tensioner was ok etc etc! But that should have been checked!

There is no way of telling its been done dude, if your going to that trouble you may aswell get it replaced again.

I cant see why it would be a lie, may of been done as a favour by someone!

Black 172
So it should be ok then? Would there be any signs if there was something wrong with the belt? And when would it need to be done again?

Sorry if I sound ignorant :(

ITB'd MK1
Might have been done with one of the cam-belt kits that only uses a new tensioner and not new idlers. Not something I'd personally do, but i'm yet to see idlers actually fail, so i wouldn't be TOO worried if it is that, but it would explain the lower cost.

Black 172
I don't have a clue what you mean, but you both seem to think it would be ok and that I don't need to get a full new job done?