ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

advice on removing and painting some under bonnet bits

200,182 Trophy, Cup
I've wanting to remove and paint a coupe of items.
Firstly the left hand engine mount (the one bolted onto drivers side inner wing) or possibly just the bolts. Do I presume if I want to completely remove it I will have to jack up the engine and support it. What about just the bolts, is it safe to just remove a bolt at a time to paint then replace and remove the next one.

Secondly the induction chamber on top if the engine and the alloy unit on the front of the engine. These seem prone to the usual alloy discolouration so I'm contemplating either spraying or powder coating. What is involved in removing these. What gaskets do I need for reassembly

Many thanks

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Support the engine when removing the engine mount yes.

I'm guessing you mean the inlet plenum on top of the engine and the fuel rail guard at the front?

Just need to disconnect a few bit and it's a case of unbolting the 10mm bolts. You can reuse the gasket that sits between the two.

Be careful when you bolt it back up as they don't need much force to shear off. Torque to 11Nm if you can.

Fuel rail guard is two 10mm nuts (sometimes 13mm) and you'll need a deep socket for these.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Forgot to say the 4 bolts into the body on the engine mount should be torqued to 62nm as are the ones on the engine side. Don't use a breaker bar to tighten them like my mate did and stripped the thread 😂

330i. E30 Touring.
Forgot to say the 4 bolts into the body on the engine mount should be torqued to 62nm as are the two on the engine side. Don't use a breaker bar to tighten them like my mate did and stripped the thread 😂

Doing anything on a Clio must take you hours with all the torque wrench work.

Nip it up, 1/4 of a turn. Done.

200,182 Trophy, Cup
Thanks for your help with this. I will stick with the torque wrench technique I think, don't want a simple job to become expensive