ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air-con removal

Clio 172
Have been considering removing my air-con over the last week or so and looking for info as to what is needed.

Is it as simple as taking the compressor out and fitting a shorter aux belt? Or would i really need the cup alternator and bracket and cup PAS pipe? If so, why is that?

Clio 172
Is the alternator itself different on the 172 cup? Or would I be able to just get the cup bracket and use my existing alternator?

S3, Polo
Have a look at a Cup and see if anything shouts at you as being different?

Or speak to the likes of K-Tec or Rerntech to see if they can help?

Clio 172
speak to gdi,they did expalin it to me but ive forgotten all the details, not a cheap job tbh unless doing it yourself

172 Race Car
Some options

1, Full 172 cup setup (Only the pas pump is the same) *expensive
2, Ditch the lot and fit the Setup from a Volvo 440 F3P *bargain (Will need a custom Pas pipe)
3, Heard a Laguna can be a good donor and give a similar layout to a 172Cup but not tried it or looked into it. *different could work well

My current setup uses a Saxo Pas pump and Volvo Alternator with Laguna bracket

Clio 172
With the volvo setup, is it pretty much a bolt on job or will parts need to be modified in any way? What length belt will i need, the one from a 172 cup fit ok?

Is there any laguna in particular that will provide a similar setup to the cup? Mk1 or Mk2 model? Again is it pretty much a bolt on job or will parts need to be modified in any way? And what belt would you use?

Sorry to pick at your brains Burp

Clio 172
just done a quick search there, the f3p came in r19's and mk1 clios with the f3r in the 440, laguna and megane. I assume any of these without air con will be similar?

172 Race Car
yea the f3p was fited to loads of differentcars but they all have diferent setups. Take a wander around your local scrap yard and have a look. The volvo one was the simplest one I found and volted straight on and used the same size belt as the volvo

Clio 172
yea the f3p was fited to loads of differentcars but they all have diferent setups. Take a wander around your local scrap yard and have a look. The volvo one was the simplest one I found and volted straight on and used the same size belt as the volvo
so the volvo 440 with the 2.0 8v f3p engine is the one to look for?

and you used the standard PAS pump and water pump, just with a modified PAS pipe?

172 Race Car
water pump stays, pas pump and alternator are from the volvo. custom pas lines need to be made.

iirc the one you need it all from is a 1.7 f3p volvo.

Why are you thinking of doing this anyway?

Clio 172
Just had a quick flick through your project thread there Burp, you say you've used a mount from a laguna and an adjuster from a volvo 440..

What laguna was it from? the 2.0 8v? And then the adjuster from the 2.0 8v 440? Which alternator did you then use?

Clio 172
water pump stays, pas pump and alternator are from the volvo. custom pas lines need to be made.

iirc the one you need it all from is a 1.7 f3p volvo.

Why are you thinking of doing this anyway?
cool, so the top bracket, adjustor, alternator and pas pump all come from the 1.7 volvo? and use the aux belt from the same car? along with the custom pas lines?

the modifying bug has bitten me mate, have started doing bits to the clio getting it ready for summer trackdays and i want to remove my aircon while i'm changine my cam and aux belt. will see very little difference at the start, but will add up as i go along, and what better time to do it, right;)

172 Race Car
cool, so the top bracket, Laguna f3p top bracket is neater but volvo will fit

adjustor, alternator and pas pump all come from the 1.7 volvo? Yes
and use the aux belt from the same car? YES
along with the custom pas lines? Yes you need to find a pipe maker near you
Its quite a bit of work tbh but i did mine for less than the cost of a new aux belt kit so it was a no brainer for me. Especially as the a/c never worked due to a leak.

Clio 172
fantastic, cheers man, appreciate the help.

how did you get the exact pipe made up? what did you use as a template?

172 Race Car
fantastic, cheers man, appreciate the help.

how did you get the exact pipe made up? what did you use as a template?
yep, bent the old clio one to the shape needed and the guy remade it with the original ends to the new shape. He couldnt make the unions, I had the pipe off the volvo too so it was just a case of joining them together. Did the same thing with my current Saxo one

also, the laguna f3p engine...thats the 1.8 8v?
and the volvo f3p engine...thats the 1.7 8v?
I think so

Clio 172
yep, bent the old clio one to the shape needed and the guy remade it with the original ends to the new shape. He couldnt make the unions, I had the pipe off the volvo too so it was just a case of joining them together. Did the same thing with my current Saxo one

I think so
brilliant!

cheers burp, you're a legend!!

so if i am going to do this do i need to get the top bracket, adjustor, alternator and pas pump from a volvo 440 1.7 or 2.0 ??? and modify the pas pipe ???

172 Race Car
For everyones info:

The 172 Cup alternator will fit the volvo brackets (our current setup n the race car)
and a MK1 Laguna Alternator will also fit volvo brackets but requires a very simple extra wire added to it

Picking up an old thread, but better than to start a new one on an old subject I suppose. Do any of you think this bracket will fit with this alternator? The add says it is for a Volvo 460/440/480. The bolt pattern seems to look the same.

upload_2017-6-15_21-48-41.jpeg

$_6.jpg

$_6.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-15_21-49-12.jpeg
    upload_2017-6-15_21-49-12.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 47
  • upload_2017-6-15_21-49-28.jpeg
    upload_2017-6-15_21-49-28.jpeg
    247.4 KB · Views: 67