ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Airbag gone off... but NOT deployed?? help.

2002 Clio 172 Cup
Hi there,

I have searched endless on the internet trying to find a scenerio that I have just experienced!

Myself and the passenger in the front of my Clio were both wearing our seatbelts

My approx speed was 25mph and I drove over a concrete brick on the road (Very foggy up here in the northwest vision is >5 metres).

This resulted in my car having a blowout on the N/S front tyre and my airbags went off that caused the awfull smell of the explosives... Now the actual airbags did not deploy from the driver side nor did the passengers side?

However ONLY the driver side seat tensioner has locked and the airbag light and the SERV light is permanently on.

Does this sound like an airbag fault that Renault should be liable for? If not how much could I be expected to pay for this repair?

Any infomation on this matter on what I can do would greatly appreciated.

I am so glad this has not happened in an accident!

Thank you

182 FF
What makes you think the airbags have failed? All that has happenend is a seatbelt pretensioner has been activated! Replace the tensioner and have the airbag ecu reset.

ITB'd MK1
the seatbelt pre-tensioner uses the same pyrotechnics as an airbag. it's most like that that you are smelling. if the airbag had fired, you'd know about it

2002 Clio 172 Cup
the seatbelt pre-tensioner uses the same pyrotechnics as an airbag. it's most like that that you are smelling. if the airbag had fired, you'd know about it

Well I never knew that about the pre-tensioner!

I have been in a nasty accident and i remember the "BANG" which was the same big bang that was deafining.... I thought if the airbag did fire it would of blown something up or melted if anything...

I'm so glad you said that about the pre-tensioner it all makes sence... there was no smoke either??? which would conclude this problem.

2002 Clio 172 Cup
What makes you think the airbags have failed? All that has happenend is a seatbelt pretensioner has been activated! Replace the tensioner and have the airbag ecu reset.

Well it went BANG like an airbag, gave off the explosive smell you get from an airbag and it had a pernament airbag light on....

BMW M135i
Main dealer will only replace the old they won't reset the ecu. Theres places that you can get it done for under a hundred sheets if you search about though.

Clio
Hi!

Any feed back as to how you got on with the repairs please?

I recently drove into the back of someone who had stopped on an island and the same thing happened to me.
Airbags went off but didn't actually deploy, horrid smell, loud bang and airbag warning lights on dashboard :s

My insurance company have declared my clio a writeoff without actually checking the vehicle. If I get the option to keep my car I may look into repairs, I just wondered how much it may cost?

I understand that if the airbags fully deploy then you need to replace the whole dashboard with is excy but that's not the case for me.

Help please anyone???