ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator, power steering or air con?

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I took the car out for a spin today (smug in the knowledge it passed its MOT yesterday) and got a strong whiff of burning and a constant whine, which seemed to be coming from the alternator. When I got back home SWMBO could smell it from indoors :eek:penmouth:.

I stuck a screwdriver on the alternator, AC pump and PS pump and when I pressed the handle to my ear the alternator by far was making the most significant grinding noise.

I whipped the belt off and the noise disappeared as expected :up:.

Then I took the alternator off expecting it to be seized, but it spun freely and didn't make much noise 😧. It still smells though......:confused:.

So I turned to the AC pump and it also spins freely and quietly, but I noticed there was some end float

Is this OK :grimacing:?

And on to the PS pump, well there's no play in the pulley, seems to spin freely and quietly, but when I rotate it back and forth I can hear a slight clink. Again, any advice?

Is there a definitive way to check which (if not all) is/are failing?

Many thanks for sticking with me on this long post :cool:!

Belt needed doing btw.....
IMG_8138.JPG

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
tensioner moving as it should do?
I think so, I've removed it out now with the intention of replacing it. I used a jubilee to compress it to take tension off the belt which worked fine - does this mean it was functioning right?

dan's cast offs.
just make sure it's free on the pivot bolt. if it isn't and you want to save a bit you can strip it and free it off.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Forgot to mention that the alternator got very, very hot, even the slam panel above it was scorchio!

I'm gonna change the alternator, and hope that's all that's required, otherwise I'll have to whip it all out again :disrelieved:😂.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I'd imagine it's the alternator (haven't watched your video mind)

When mine let go there was a big puff of smoke and a lot of heat, oh and 1.2v output lol

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I was certain until I removed it, now I'm unsure 🙈.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Potentially. Could be a bearing in there is fucked
Yeah, I'm worried it's not an alternator bearing but a ps pump or ac pump bearing :weary:. Anyway, time will tell and I'll report back :up:

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
The power steering normally wines anyways, i had mine replaced for a brand new one and still wined ha. So it could be that wining and the alternator that's fucked. Any other symptoms? Let us know how you get on.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
'Twas the alternator.

Because of my other issue with the car I risked a used alternator rather than forking out big money. Seems to work a treat :up:.

Thanks for people's advice btw :cool:.