ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator problems please help !

Sinclair C5

I would appriciate any help on the following subject.

I have recently had a new battery and alternator fitted to my 02 plate clio 172 due to the alternator failing. Since the new equipment has been fitted I now have an intermitent problem regarding the alternator. Sometimes when I start the car the battery light goes out, the alternator starts charging and everything is fine but on ocassions the battery warning light stays on and the alternator does not commence charging.

I have the alternator checked while in the car and also on a bench rig and it is all working ok.

I have had the wiring checked and all this is ok.

Im in dire need for a soluation to this problem as it is becoming very very frustrating.

Thanks in advance David.

Poor earth maybe or dirty connection somewhere.

Sorry im crap at vehicle electrics, give me one on coilovers or lowering:)

172 cup'd extreme

under the car on the passengers side bolted to the subframe is the earthstrap this in turn bolts to the gearbox chec this is not frayed or rusted
On mine i had a similar problem so bought some 0 gauge earth cable and bolted it from the engine (near as you can to the alternator) to the subframe.

the other thing i can think is the belt tentioners are buggered there like dampers that keep the belt tightish

Sinclair C5

Quote: Originally posted by 16v_jon on 11 August 2005

under the car on the passengers side bolted to the subframe is the earthstrap this in turn bolts to the gearbox chec this is not frayed or rusted
On mine i had a similar problem so bought some 0 gauge earth cable and bolted it from the engine (near as you can to the alternator) to the subframe.

the other thing i can think is the belt tentioners are buggered there like dampers that keep the belt tightish
I had new tensioner fitted when the alternator was done, I will check the earthstrap but surely on a 3 year old car this should be ok, hang on a minute, it is a Renault !

When you say you had a similar problem do you mean that your alternator sometimes worked and sometimes didnt?

[Edited by warine_warrior on 11 August 2005 at 12:09pm]

172 cup'd extreme

i would slow down to a junction and the light would come on the belt was ok but the earth strap wasnt making a good connection

also check the link form your gearbox to the main wiring loom take your airfilter odd/airbox and have a good look at all the wiring

Sinclair C5

I have noticed now that the light seems to come on when the car hasnt been used for a while, like first thing in the morning, after ive driven to work and parked up, ill go outside after about an hour start the car up and itll be fine.

very annoying