ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Amplifier Locations

Hi All,

Can anyone who has installed an amp in their Clio, tell me where they installed it and any problems encountered ? I am thinking of getting a 172 soon and want to make sure my current system will fit in OK.

Thanks,

Carl

I fitted my alpine amp under the pax seat after removing the tray thingy. No real probs , had to make up a couple of brackets cause amp was not as wide as seat cross beams but other that that fine.

Hi Towser,

I have a Gensis 5 Channel which is quite wide so I think I will have to have a boot install.

Currently in my Megane coupe I have it installed in the boot in a custom build in front of the rear wheel mounts. I like the installation as it still leaves unrestricted access to the whole boot (which is needed cos the coupes boot is so small !)and the spare, it is also quite well hidden if I leave the cover on, apart from the fan vents .

Has anyone got an amp installed in thier clio boot that still leaves access to the spare and most of the boot ? Do you have any pics I could look at ?

Thanks

Carl

BMW 320d Sport

In my (old) Clio I thought of putting it under the passenger seat but felt it would be a bit untidy. In the end I fitted it into a covered false floor that I built in the boot. Part of it is recessed to take the footprint of the sub box, the rest is about 4" deep to take the amp, some tools and space for another cd changer if I want one. I wired a computer case fan in there as well, which turns on when the amp switches on, and draws air through one side and blows it out the other.

I could be wrong but I think the 172 boot is even smaller than the Megane and as I have a sub-tube in the boot it is already pretty tiny!!

nicks idea is good but be careful some high power amps need a lot of breathing and air circulation. could overheat when enclosed.

if an amp is enclosed, always use fans, a minimum of two, one pushing and one oposite pulling, this should cope with all amps unless they are bridged to 1 ohm, then get proffesinal advice.

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

I have my amp under the passenger seat, been installed for over a year now with no problems.

Thanks for the responses guys,

I was thinking that a false floor was probably going to be the best way. As the hatch opening is quite wide a similar build to what I have at the moment will extend someway into the boot opening and will look a bit strange.

Nick:

With your installation can you still access the spare or do you use a filler spraycan if you get a puncture ? Do you have a photo I could look at to get an idea ? Thanks.

Cheers

Carl

I wired up my amp earth to the rear light cluster mounting point in my Clio. Seems foolproof to me as it has a screw on plastic bit and a metal collar that meet with the cars shell - just right for the amp earth!!

Jas i have mine there too. its open enough for them but nick was saying about enclosed under a false flooring, gotta be careful with that. but yeah ive never had any problems under the seat. best place for em!

hi guys
my amps mounted vertical in the boot just below the boot light mounting is easy useing two stays bolted to the floor still get to spare is still easy

Hi Tim,

That sounds just like what I have at the moment in my megane and would like to achive when I get my 172. Is it possible you could email me a quick pic so I could get an idea of space ?

Thanks

Carl

BMW 320d Sport

My false floor has vents in the front and back of it to draw the air through and its never given any overheating problems at all. THe fan works fine.

The first layer is marine ply cut to the shape of the boot with a cutout for the spare - wheel lowering bolt. THen over that is the frame of the false floor made of 1"x2" softwood. The whole lot is covered in carpet then a 3mm MDF cover which is fastened down with R clips and vine eyes.

Email me and Ill send you some pictures.

BMW 320d Sport

Got your email, my camera batteries are knackered at the moment but I will try and get some snaps off to you tomorrow.

I built an amp rack sandwiched between the rear seats - its basically a board with the amps facing towards the front of the car so you cant see them from the boot area. The back of the amp rack is a sort of T shape so the rear suspension turrets hold it in place. I screwed another board on top with a gap for the cabling and screwed the amps to that - you can do the same with the amps flushed but its more complicated to adjust them afterwards.
Therell be a photo in the ICE gallery very soon.

Ned.