ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Annoying idle problem!

172 cup
Hi,

Had this problem a while now and not sure where to go from here.

Whenever the car is started from cold (overnight) it just idles crap. Sometimes it will splutter a bit like its heading for a stall. When ive drove it 100 yards or so and come to a stop. The revs fluctuate between around 1k & 1.3k. If im coming to a stop and put my foot on the clutch, revs drop down to around 0.7k then pop back up again. As soon as the temp needle starts to move, the car runs lovely! All though it has started idling crap when hot lately.

Spark plugs & lambda sensor have been changed, but no change.

Any help / suggestions appreciated.

Dean

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Coolant temp sensor is a safe bet but really the car needs proper diagnostics to see exactly what is causing the poor idle condition as it could be many things (faulty injection or ignition). Guessing can get expensive and waste your time so its not always "us" just after your cash.

Mick

172 cup
Coolant temp sensor is a safe bet but really the car needs proper diagnostics to see exactly what is causing the poor idle condition as it could be many things (faulty injection or ignition). Guessing can get expensive and waste your time so its not always "us" just after your cash.

Mick

There are no faults on the ECU and ive used a OBD logger for a few days which found no problems.

Dean

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
A faulty CTS will never throw an ODBII code which is why we never rely on "code reading" to trace problems. The live data however will and will look odd as they become inaccurate between certain ranges which the ECM translates to a temp reading (which it takes as gospel as there is no confirmation method available). This causes it to, in most cases, over-fuel which the HO2 see's and attempts to resolve by altering the timing/injector duration... this makes it run like poo.

172 cup
A faulty CTS will never throw an ODBII code which is why we never rely on "code reading" to trace problems. The live data however will and will look odd as they become inaccurate between certain ranges which the ECM translates to a temp reading (which it takes as gospel as there is no confirmation method available). This causes it to, in most cases, over-fuel which the HO2 see's and attempts to resolve by altering the timing/injector duration... this makes it run like poo.

Just a shame your so far away ^^. To be honest I already have a new CTS as a spare. I will try fitting this maybe at th weekend and come back.

Cheers for your help.

Dean

Audi A5
one thing to bare in mind clio 1*2's do have a sh*t idle as standard could just be a characteristic..

172 cup
one thing to bare in mind clio 1*2's do have a sh*t idle as standard could just be a characteristic..

Cheers for that mate,

TBH it never idled great when I got it, but its slowly got worse and my temp gauge does jump about at times. Ive never had great MPG (seems everyone claims 35mpg+).

Ph1 T
did you sort this i have similar problem idle jumping from just under 1k to about 1250 up and down.

was wondering if the temp sensor sorted it

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Dan, if you feel like a ride over again i'll take a look for you as i've found the SAS to UCH wiring now.

Mick

Ph1 T
Dan, if you feel like a ride over again i'll take a look for you as i've found the SAS to UCH wiring now.

Mick

To be honest at the minute I can't afford to be spending much more on the car

Cheers though mick

Dan

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
mate, the SAS wiring check won't cost you anything so drop in when you get chance.