ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another alternator fault im stumped on

clio 172
hey all, im having a problem with my 172 at the moment. a bit of background:
I got the car a year ago and done the usual belts/clutch change straight away. when removing the alternator wiring the main live snapped so i sen it for rebuild. This alternator was faultess for around 9 months. It then started not charging at idle on me. So i went to renault and got a genuine item to 'fit and forget'. This lasted a month before doing the same: not charging at idle and also overcharging at speed.

my question is, is my car eating alternators or have i just had bad luck. Im a mechanic with good experiance, when tested all the wiring is ok, earths ok, battery is new.
I have heard of exciter wires having breaks that cause the recifier packs to fail, but when tested my exciter is getting good battery voltage with ignition.

im off to the ring in 3 weeks so could really do with this not failing on me while over there.
many thanks