ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

another day in the life of a JC5

lift number 1 @ btm
a couple of months ago one of renaults cheese bolts had destroyed my bottom end, so after a combination of sg motorsports and ren-tech ( and an obscene bill!) i was looking forward to a day at colerne airfield.
this was also the first time i had been able to get out since i had my new coilovers too.
i went out and did the first 10 minutes, then went in to check tyre pressures and have a quick look over the car. then went out with my flatmate driving, just into the second lap (so still warming the tyres) he went to change into third at about 50, the gear didnt go in at first so he dipped the clutch to try again and there was a "clunk" followed by "BANG!!"
the pictures probably explain the rest.:(

Attachments

• DSC00059.JPG
    DSC00059.JPG
    345.5 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC00053.JPG
    DSC00053.JPG
    349.5 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC00054.JPG
    DSC00054.JPG
    348.1 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC00055.JPG
    DSC00055.JPG
    342.3 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC00058.JPG
    DSC00058.JPG
    325.5 KB · Views: 155
  lift number 1 @ btm
these are the bits we picked up from the track. and just to finish the day off in style, here is the one that punctured a brand new slick.:mad:

Attachments

• DSC00061.JPG
    DSC00061.JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC00063.JPG
    DSC00063.JPG
    322 KB · Views: 166
  Black-Gold 182
One word....

CRUNCHY!

Having destroyed two gear boxes myself in my yoof, I know how it feels mate! Sorry to see that bud!

Time to go for a performance box?

lift number 1 @ btm
cheers guys, i'm now wondering if the bottom end faliure might have damaged the clutch in turn?

Mk4 XR3i 90 - spec
So there's the lesson, change at 40 to avoid self destruction, orrrr don't let your flat mate drive cause they are bad luck.

lift number 1 @ btm
time for a quick update now.

the damage turned out to be even worse than it first looked! one of the mounting lugs had snapped clean off the front of the block, fortunately the chunk that was missing ended up in the radiator and was able to be welded back on. one of the lugs behind the block had also cracked and needed reinforcing. all the flywheel bolts had sheared off and the tdc sensor was written off too.
finally after a lot of messing about. finding that my box was a 130, and the box shop i went to didn't have the correct case (nor did anyone i spoke to!), buying and returning a damaged box, and organising all the other parts i needed. it was all due to go back together on friday.
so obviously pleased to be about to get the car back i phoned in the afternoon, to be told "we are just putting the fluids in now, but neil (garner) is away and he will call you when it's all done". i waited for 30 minutes before getting a call saying "um... i've got some bad news. it's all back together but it won't start. i've just done a compression test and there is 0 compression!!"

basically i've now found out that when the clutch locked, the timing belt jumped 2 teeth! and will have almost definately bent a lot of valves!
i'll find out tomorrow the extent of it, but suffice to say, i'm not hopefull!

lift number 1 @ btm
i'm hoping it doesn't come to that! the worst of it was that the internals of the box were fine, i just couldn't get a case!

CB600FS
Flipping heck, I've never seen a bell housing shatter like that. Renault boxes really aren't the best lol!!

LY 182
ive only really ever heard of anything quite that catastrophic happen with lightened flywheels!
you definately dont do things in halfs though i'll give you that!

53 Clio's & counting
s**t sorry to hear that mate! iv been over and seen the damage,at least you did a proper job with the box bud,is it def the belt thats slipped? give me a txt if ya need any help matey

lift number 1 @ btm
the belt has definately jumped, they have been fastening preassure hoses to the head and moving the cams. hopefully it didn't bend too many valves! i'll find out tomorrow.

i can't wait..........

m-tec bmw 325 ci spo
ive got a spare engine mate a ring failured on cylinder 3 i was told the block needs a rebore ve got head cams a plenum not starter or alternator though only want 150 for the lot

lift number 1 @ btm
to be honest the block should be fine, i'm more annoyed that i spent almost 2k having the engine rebuilt and 600 miles later this happened!
now i'll have to get a new cambelt, etc, etc

clio 182
Hi iv not posted before, but felt i had too tonight after reading this because the exact same thing happened to me earlier today!!

Just been towed home and im sitting with the same shrapnel as in your pics on the table telling my girlfriend what happened, gutted to say the least!

Calling renault tomorrow, what do you think the chances of them fixing it under warranty are?

lift number 1 @ btm
hello fella,

gutted to hear that! i know that renault exclude the clutch from warranty work, but you might get a goodwill gesture out of them. how many miles have you done? and is your car standard? i didn't even bother asking renault with the work i've done as they would have probably laughed at me!
if i can be any help, just ask.

cheers, doug

clio 182
Thanks, car is standard 06 reg, 17000 miles serviced on time and everything as it should.

Guy that towed said it was "terminal anyway" i was going a bit faster so it was quite spectacular bang/ loud crunching then what sonded like whole engine falling out in tiny little bits, smoke and coolant everywhere.

Loved that car!

Great forum iv been on for a look before

lift number 1 @ btm
i think you might have a good chance there, with that sort of mileage it can only realistically be a manufacturing fault. all i can say is get on to renault, and also renault uk as well as the dealer, as lots of people seem to have had better luck from renault uk. they will probably try to avoid any responsibility, but stick to your guns and keep us updated!

good luck!

clio 182
Im preparing for the worst, being thousands out of pocket, but thats just what i wanted to hear.

Il get straight on to them tomorrow and keep you informed, hope you get yours sorted.

F*&^%$g renaults!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! people warned me but i didnt listen, i very was happy till it blew up though

I kind of hi jacked and then killed off your thread sorry!

cheers for the advice

adam

lift number 1 @ btm
no worries, it's been running for a couple of weeks anyway. i just put an update on today. if you do end up doing it yourself, come back here and you can normally save yourself a fortune. i know of at least one good low mileage box available at the moment.

lift number 1 @ btm
so, the head has come off.....

every exhaust valve has been bent into a z shape, the lifters and followers were knocked out of their mounts, and the exhaust cam has chips out of the side of each lobe! :dapprove:

so, just as it was due back, i've got to start looking for a whole load of new parts all over again, and the gaskets and timing belt that were all new last time..... in the bin!

i mean, really. i know everyone jokes about renaults breaking down all the time...
but this is a piss take!

M

mini-valver

There must have been something to cause the clutch to explode fella?