ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anybody fitted a tablet into their Clio, and if so, how did you go about it? Want one for music/GPS

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
Evening,

In my infinite wisdom :tonguewink: I've decided I want to fit a tablet on the dash (not in, though) of my Mk2 Ph2 Clio.

F7SMR59GYQERXT5.LARGE.jpg

Something like this.

I want to remove the after market (and frankly awful, it's so old I couldn't even find it on Google) head unit, fit some sort of bracket to the single-DIN slot (which I reckon I'll have to have fabricated or something as as far as I can see there's nothing out there that does this) and use a tablet as a music/GPS centre. I'm reckoning a hidden, bluetooth HU somewhere within the cabin (probably under a seat in the front or something) then connect that to the tablet then connect the HU to everything else etc.

Also, I want to run Torque as I've got an OBDII reader.

Daft idea, or worth considering? Also, will I need a SIM in the tablet to use GPS, or will it run from the GPS connection alone?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
That sounds way too messy, you cant have the HU under the seat, imagine how much dicking around trying to press buttons etc.
This is where its at :

Would look and be infinitely better , but it is double din so a bit of shuffling stuff around, perhaps lowering the heater controls.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
That sounds way too messy, you cant have the HU under the seat, imagine how much dicking around trying to press buttons etc.
This is where its at :

Would look and be infinitely better , but it is double din so a bit of shuffling stuff around, perhaps lowering the heater controls.

True, didn't think of that. Although my idea was link the HU to the tablet via bluetooth then just use the HU as a means of outputting to the speakers.

Would it be hard to move the heater controls down then? Would it be better in that case just to fit a double din HU and sod the tablet?

172 Cup
Why not ditch the HU and go through an amp? I've done similar on my mx5 using an inline volume control and connecting direct to my iPhone!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Depends how much functionality you want.
New you're looking at somewhere around 300-400 for the headunit and 250 for the GPS, but used prices are less than that. I paid 400 for pretty much everything but the TV module, so nav, bluetooth, ipod connection, remote and so on.

It's a bit more expensive than fitting an ipad, but the neatness and quality make up for it. I don't have any worries about leaving it in the car as it looks like any old boggo stereo when it's packed away.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
That looks nice. If I can find a decent one 2nd hand I'll seriously consider it.

Can you update the maps on them?

also - TV module?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Yes, you can update the maps, I haven't looked into doing it for free though.

They had a plug in TV module that gave you freeview. They don't sell them new any more though.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
Yes, you can update the maps, I haven't looked into doing it for free though.

They had a plug in TV module that gave you freeview. They don't sell them new any more though.

Tempted, would save me having a sat nav on longer journeys etc.

I need to find one 2nd hand though, brand new these whizzy single DIN sat nav doodads are way too expensive.

Renault Clio RS 200
I know this thread is a bit old now but did you ever get round to installing your iPad into your clio I was thinking of doing it with my iPhone 6plus some really cool stuff out now for fitting them in you car.

Renault Clio RS 200
Was thinking more like this, guy in America Actually makes the sleeves to mount them in your car.

Check this out

upload_2016-10-5_19-10-42.png