ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone reccomend an anti-seize compound?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I've had a bit of an issue with my car where 2 of the 3 downpipe to turbo bolts had seized and snapped off resulting in me having to remove the turbo to get them drilled out and re-tapped.

Now, these bolts had only been in for 1 week, so how they got so tight in there i've got no idea.

I've got new bolts to go in but need an anti-seize to put on them that can withstand the temerature of a turbo housing.

Any suggestions?

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Get a superfire2 plumbers blow lamp for your tool box.. A soak in wd or a blast with the blow lamp solves it for me.. It's been working a treat for me at the moment, I would use a big torch and gas at the garage years ago, but this is small and compact...

Prevention is great, but the heats magic..

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Get a superfire2 plumbers blow lamp for your tool box.. A soak in wd or a blast with the blow lamp solves it for me.. It's been working a treat for me at the moment, I would use a big torch and gas at the garage years ago, but this is small and compact...

Prevention is great, but the heats magic..

I've got one but didn't use it (lesson learnt), they didn't feel like they were seized, they turned fineup to a point, then they gave up! I only had a tiny 1/4 drive ratched on there too, about 6" long so it's not like I coudl put much force on them. Maybe I over tightened them last week when I put them in and it weakened them?

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I find the turning is the snapping incoming..

Perhaps the nuts, bolts you used were junk.. Get some good studs, new nuts and use the torch from the off next time. I use a 13mm spanner and if it doesn't move, I get the heat..

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I find the turning is the snapping incoming..

Perhaps the nuts, bolts you used were junk.. Get some good studs, new nuts and use the torch from the off next time. I use a 13mm spanner and if it doesn't move, I get the heat..

They were the OE bolts that have been in and out a few times. I've got some decent ones to go back in.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
They were the OE bolts that have been in and out a few times. I've got some decent ones to go back in.

Why's your turbo off anyway? I'm gonna have to pull mine off but I'm being lazy, I have clean the vanes, wonder if I should do the old mr muscle and a rag trick or just take it off...

Is it easy as peas to remove?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
As above, have some bolts that lock in place mechanically.

@dangerous dave
Turbo is off to remove the two snapped bolts. They sheared flush to the face of the turbo so it had to come out to be drilled and re-tapped. Wasn't a hard job to get it off, took about 2 hours to get it off.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
As above, have some bolts that lock in place mechanically.

@dangerous dave
Turbo is off to remove the two snapped bolts. They sheared flush to the face of the turbo so it had to come out to be drilled and re-tapped. Wasn't a hard job to get it off, took about 2 hours to get it off.
Cool, had a nose under there but have been putting it off as its one of those areas where you can't see.. I'll get on with my turbo cleaning soon, hope to have running Volvo one day..