ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone sold their Clio Sport, bought something else and regretted it?

Black Gold Trophy
I'm debating selling my 182 and getting something else as I fancy a change.
The problem is it seems like you have to spend so much more money in order to upgrade to something better as the Clio is such a good car to start with.

Has anyone ever sold theirs to upgrade and regretted doing so?

well the most obvious point is that this all depends on what ''something else'' is and what you want from a car, in terms of what you get for your money, theres not much else thats similar.

Last edited:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I had a 172, bought a Golf GTI Turbo, hated it, sold it for a 172.

I had that 172, needed 4 doors so bought an Evo 4, loved it but wife hated it so sold it for a 172.

I sold that 172 for a E36 BMW M3 and loved it but not as much fun as a clio.

So I sold that and bought the Valver and 172'd it. :D

I think the problem is, getting a 'thrill' out of a cheap hatchback is easy. Getting a thrill out of something that weighs nearly 2 tonnes and has 320bhp is not as easy, certainly not on public roads anyway!

Black Gold Trophy
well the most obvious point is that this all depends on what ''something else'' is and what you want from a car, in terms of what you get for your money, theres not much else thats similar.
true but all I'm asking is has anyone bought something else with the intention of upgrading and regretted it?

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Worst decision ever to sell the LY V6-

Bought one a while ago just to have to sell, enjoyed it- although when I had the LY the petrol was around 80p per L as opposed to £1.20- So not quite as appealing having the running cost of fuel increased by 50%

S

DB.

BMW 440i
Im looking to upgrade to a Megane 225, so bloody hope after saving up a bit i won't regret it!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Im looking to upgrade to a Megane 225, so bloody hope after saving up a bit i won't regret it!

Drive one!!!

A lot of people love them, I had an orange 04 plate but didn't like it at all.

Vw Passat, clio 182
i had a white 182, bought a Merc CLK230K coz my ex didn't like the clio. Split up with her and im back in a Black 182.

535d / t5 caravelle
had a valver, sold it got a sapp cossie-blew up, got a williams, sold it, got a very quick 205 mi16, sold that before it blew up lol, got an mr2 turbo-excellent car, sold it due to baby, now looking at 172 cups, seems we all end up back here lol

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Had a 182, did 19k in 4 months, bought a 206 hdi.
Mileage dropped a bit, bought a 172 cup, made redundant so bought a 328i Sport.
Got new job & upgraded to a Golf Gti Ed30. Hated it so bought a 182 Trophy.
Now doing miles again, so buying a derv, but keeping a Trophy.

For the money, theyy're really hard to beat in terms of 'fun' imho. Unless you buy a 106/306 Gti, etc.

ph1 track weapon
had a 172 cup, bought a 200sx as wanted to go drifting, got bored of drifting and realised quite how much upkeep those cars need, so came back to a ph1 172, and dont think i'll ever sell this one!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I had a 172, bought a Golf GTI Turbo, hated it, sold it for a 172.

I had that 172, needed 4 doors so bought an Evo 4, loved it but wife hated it so sold it for a 172.

I sold that 172 for a E36 BMW M3 and loved it but not as much fun as a clio.

So I sold that and bought the Valver and 172'd it. :D

I think the problem is, getting a 'thrill' out of a cheap hatchback is easy. Getting a thrill out of something that weighs nearly 2 tonnes and has 320bhp is not as easy, certainly not on public roads anyway!

Imo - more than fair grounds for a divorce there, Daniel-san...

D.

SG9 Forester STi
I've often thought about what I'd like next but I don't reckon I'll enjoy anything (feasible options wise) more than the clio.

Had a RB 182, loved the car, thought at the time I should save money though so sold it and bought a fabia vrs.

Regretted it so much, you don't save that much going into a diesel especially when it's got bit of power.

I've just sold the vrs, I get a company car at work and have got a Clio 200 on order for the weekends!

06 Hyundai coupe 2.0
Don't laugh, but I sold my first 172 for a 135 mgtf....
Had that for a year then sold it for another 172 :)
I think the thing is with the Clio it's a love/hate relationship, when the car is working you love it, when it's costing you money you start to hate it, you then get fed up and sell it, but it's like your first love, you want her back again....

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
YUP, i sold my ph1, bought a 106 rallye hated it, sold it a week later n bought another 172 but a ph2

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'll don my flame jacket now. The basic 225 is nothing to shout about, neither is the cup packed car imo. Having driven a few, the only one that does it for me is the R26. The basic 225 is imo, very very average to drive. The cup is an improvement, but honestly a 182 is still the better drive for me.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
The Clio is the best car I've owned. Went from a 172cup to a 106gti and hated it so got a 182cup now I've sold that and can't think of anything else I want apart from an r26.r but there £££.

Hyundai i40
split up with my ex and let him keep the car and i regret it....loved it to bits...would jump back in another clio but the OH is 6'9 so dont that he will fit in one.

I regret not fighting for it more at the time

E87 118d M Sport
Im guna be selling the 172 in the next few weeks. Already know I will regret it, but not got a choice.

/SADFACE

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
i sold my old 172 Cup and then bought an ibiza cupra R...

Worse decidion i ever made...

Hence why i now have a 182!

Ph1 172 > 182... I regret that a lot.
182 > A3 TDi Sport... No regrets.

If I do come back, it'll be in a Ph1 172... awesome, awesome cars.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I'll don my flame jacket now. The basic 225 is nothing to shout about, neither is the cup packed car imo. Having driven a few, the only one that does it for me is the R26. The basic 225 is imo, very very average to drive. The cup is an improvement, but honestly a 182 is still the better drive for me.

100% agreed'ed'd

ford cougar 2.0 16v
never had clio but regretted gettin rid of my abarth stilo when i moved to iom as the ex said keep the ford ka instead but i want another but it aint family size

172, BMW 120 Msport.
We have a PH2 172 at the moment, i really wanna get rid of it for a 200... But the Girlfriend wants to wait and save so we can have a 200 aswell in the same colour ;)

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
182 > E36 M3 - Loved the M3 but missed the Clio, luckily sold it to my dad so could still drive it.

Now own an M6 and still love driving the 182. So much so that I have just bought a ph1 172 as a second car/track car project. Utterly utterly awesome cars and dare I say it feels better than my old 182 :)

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Sold my first 172 MK1 and got a Rover 200 BRM
Sold my second 172 Mk1 and got a Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
Sold my third 172 Mk1 and got a Saxo VTS

Listerine & Poledo
I chopped the MX-5 in for a MG ZR 160 because I didn't want the missus ending up going backwards into a ditch days after passing her test.

Wish I'd taken the risk now though

(OK, not exactly on topic)

Last edited:
  Nimbus Megane R26
mint blackgold 182 > Nimbus R26 .... still miss the cheapness of the 182 ie fuel/tyres but other than that...naaaaa. No regrets :)

182 was probably a better drive in that it was more raw..

DB.

BMW 440i
Brown Bear
I'll don my flame jacket now. The basic 225 is nothing to shout about, neither is the cup packed car imo. Having driven a few, the only one that does it for me is the R26. The basic 225 is imo, very very average to drive. The cup is an improvement, but honestly a 182 is still the better drive for me.100% agreed'ed'd

What makes you say this?

What is so special about the R26, other than the Recaro's and stickers that makes it a different car? Just curious as this is my next move. :)

Listerine & Poledo
What makes you say this?

What is so special about the R26, other than the Recaro's and stickers that makes it a different car? Just curious as this is my next move. :)

Wasn't the R26 the first to have the LSD? That would change the cars dynamics massively

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
What makes you say this?

All the megs I've driven have dire steering. Not sure if it's the diff, or the suspension combined with the diff etc, but the R26 is a much better steer. Once you get used to using the diff, left footbraking etc, it add's a new dimension to FWD driving.
Depends how you drive though. I imagine 80% of people really wouldn't notice as much of a difference.