ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple TV - Retards guide

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I've been offered a new 3rd gen Apple TV for £50, which (and I'm not completely sure why) I'm tempted by.

Am I right in thinking I can use it with my Netflix and iTunes account as a streaming system?

Does it have iplayer etc built in too?

I don't have one but I can tell you it doesn't have iPlayer/4od etc on it, you can mirror from an iPad/iPhone etc if you wanted to use it that way though.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Yes you can use it with Netflix and iTunes, its also got a YouTube and Vimeo apps too. I often use mine mirroring my MacBook, nice big screen albeit not fantastic quality (more than likely my TV causing this).

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
<3 my apple tv so much i bought one for my parents, for me to use of course!

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Is it HD when mirroring? Assuming content is HD obviously.

I currently plug my MBP into my amp using HDMI.

ST1050, 320d
Be careful with the mirroring; the display doesn't look that great unless you're running the latest MBP because of the graphics hardware. Airplay works well, but I'm using an older MBP so have to use Airparrot which is a tad sketchy most of the time. I've also tried it with an iPad Mini, and that didn't look that great mirrored.

DB.

BMW 440i
I'm using a 2011 27" iMac and would like to mirror that to a 55" Samsung, do you think there will be a loss of quality with that?

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I didn't get it in the end, so I'll be continuing with the HDMI solution I have at the moment.

DB.

BMW 440i
Cheers for that, I'm going to go in store soon and have a chat with a 'genius'.