ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ARP Rod bolt torque settings

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Hi,

Could someone tell me what the torque settings are for ARP Rod bolts on an F4R? is it just a case of torque them up by a set amount and that's it or do you need to then torque them by say 180 degrees?

Cheers,

Mike

HBT 172 Cup
Theres instructions with the bolts. its 42ft lb's from memory. Angle tightening is much better but for you're avergae DIY who builds his engine in his shed, then you won't own a stretch gauge.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Is there? tbf I haven't opened the packet yet but it sure doesn't look like there is instruction with them..

HBT 172 Cup
How does angle tightening work?

It's like a DTI gauge on a "C" shape bracket with two prongs, it locates around the top and bottom of the bolt, as you tighten it the bolt it stretches and the gauge measures the amount of stretch on the bolt. Its usually around 6 - 7 thousands of an inch on these i think, because stretch directly translates to the amount of preload tension (which is what is important), it is the most accurate way of tightening it.

Torqueing the bolt increases the chance of error as you are tightening against the friction of a bolt (imagine tightening up a rusty bolt vs a brand new bolt, the rusty bolt will "click" on a torque wrench far quicker, but the bolt wont actually be as tight as the clean one) However the ARP Ultra lube does a good job of "accurately producing the deisred preload tension", makeing the torque wrench an acceptable method of tightening the ARP's up.

Is there? tbf I haven't opened the packet yet but it sure doesn't look like there is instruction with them..

There is a leaflet in there, its hidden behind.

Ph1
I never bothered with the stretch but did the ARP 3 turn cequence thing and also had the caps very lightly chamfered. Can't remember the torque but its on the forum somewhere and probably the ARP site.

I used this baby
poq8.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
So am I right in saying that you can not fit the bolts just by removing the sump while the engine stays in the car?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Cheers Fred, I must phone you soon.
Need ARPs, supertech valves and cams. :)

HBT 172 Cup
The undo, redo x 3 eliminates the point the ARP Ultra Torque lubricant was created for. To produce the correct preload on the first tighten. Its all over there website.

UT_ARPdieselweb7pp.005.jpg

Lionel Richie
i've heard several stories of them failing from just doing them up once, how true that is i don't know