ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ATTENTON clio sunroof fix :)

t3 corolla 116bhp
after weeks of getting soaked via my water feature/mk2 sunroof, i decided enough was enough. having spent an hour or more trying to unscrew all the hidden 10mm bolts to release the pastic sunroof casing in order to reseal it, i discovered that one of the bolts would not unscrew. after hours of battling, i decided on another route.

quick trip to halfrauds for some black insulating duck tape after failing initially with some loctite flex sealant on the outside. i had tried to seal from the outside-in with the loctite but that looked a complete mess. so i decided to tidy it up. took about 20-30 mins to do patiently so as to try and keep straight lines etc, but here's how it looks now....

Image265.jpg

Image266.jpg

I know its not perfect but it was the best i could do given my cirumstances and its completely waterproof. the tape has been on over a week now and no shrinkange or peeling with cold or heat.(fingers crossed)

much better than paying 100-250 quid to get it resealed by someone else :)

Image269.jpg

jonny

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
that looks s**t mate, bodged up sunroof, get it sorted properly, imagine when u come 2 sell it lol

t3 corolla 116bhp
cheers mate. it was surprisingly easy. i tought the corners would look like a dogs dinner but the tape is very flexible and doesnt retract once its been stretched slightly. when your standing a couple of feet away you wouldnt really notice it unless you were really looking for it. just though i'd share this with other members thinking of getting there's sealed who would be happy enough if they could do a DIY that would turnout like mine.

i used some alcohol impregnated wipes to totally clean the plastic casing and the metal bodywork of the car and used 3 layers of tape. 1st layer was the seal between the frame and the bodywork. 2nd layer was drom the edge of the plastic casing nearest the glass, followed all the way round so as to overlap the 1st layer. 3rd layer overlaps the 1st layer on the bodywork end to give more support. hope this helps a few peeps.

plus the duck tape was £1.39 from halfrauds for 10m and withstands temps from 60C to -5C :) result

j

t3 corolla 116bhp
that looks s**t mate, bodged up sunroof, get it sorted properly, imagine when u come 2 sell it lol

harsh words lol :rasp:

doesnt look that bad. ive seen worse silicone efforts. believe me i would have done it right had i been able to remove the frame but if i forsed the issue i would have probably broke the frame and kinked the tin roof and THAT would have looked worse. sometimes you have to make the best of a bad situation matey:eek:

1.5 Clio Dynamique

the only thing is who would view a car when its been raining

when you do come to sell it take it off, clean it up and nobodys none the wiser

RB 182 Cup

+1! maybe do that on a old banger, but youyr cars hardly old lol. Some people just have no common sense lol. Surprised you didnt just silicone it shut!

C

clvs2222

+1! maybe do that on a old banger, but youyr cars hardly old lol. Some people just have no common sense lol. Surprised you didnt just silicone it shut!

whats wrong with you mun, the guy spent alot of time and effort doing a good job of fixing it. Whats wrong with siliconing it shut? i and many other have done it to their clios. the leaking sunroof is a very serios problem and can ruin the interior if left. i spent week with a black bin liner wrapped around mine as i couldnt afford to pay stupid renault prices.

RB 182 Cup
are you stupid? asif you actually siliconed your shut haha, would you buy a car with tuns of black electrical tape sealing the roof? it looks pikey and bodged. If it leaks then change the seal.

C

clvs2222

YEA! i did ACTAULLY silcone my roof shut! no it didnt look bodged as you couldnt see it.

RB 182 Cup
did you not think when you opened it, it wont open lol. Its actually scary reading what people do to their cars haha. Treat them worse then toys, dont actually realise its a car. Well thats me, i wouldnt think of bodging my car together and if i cant afford to fix it then get rid of it as theres no point in having things if you cant afford them...

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
did you not think when you opened it, it wont open lol. Its actually scary reading what people do to their cars haha. Treat them worse then toys, dont actually realise its a car. Well thats me, i wouldnt think of bodging my car together and if i cant afford to fix it then get rid of it as theres no point in having things if you cant afford them...

You sir are a Class A Idiot!

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Love how you call it a shed when you know F all about it, Its just your acting a moron! Of course Clvs2222 knew his sunroof wasnt going to shut when he siliconed it up! Tbh how many people actually look at the roofs of cars anyway?! Jonny has come up with quite a good way of solving a very common clio problem for pennies!

If it leaks its either the sunroof frame to roof skin seal or the sunroof frame to glass seal. Fair enough seal it with duck tape as a temporary measure until you can afford a new seal but as a permenant fix? Erm no. Looks cack and siliconed up sunroofs belong on £500 bangers.

RB 182 Cup
Love how you call it a shed when you know F all about it, Its just your acting a moron! Of course Clvs2222 knew his sunroof wasnt going to shut when he siliconed it up! Tbh how many people actually look at the roofs of cars anyway?! Jonny has come up with quite a good way of solving a very common clio problem for pennies!

well if you think bodging up a sunroofs a good idea then your cars probably a shed lol... Ok put yourself in this situation, you buy a car and the sunroofs bodged up wouldnt you get pissed off and take it back?

some people :rolleyes:....

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Im guessing the lad will sort it before he sells! Its just a cheap, tidy way to sort the problem for now! If it was mine, when i come to sell I would vaseline the sunroof so that it didnt leak and looked reasonable! Got any pics of your minter than mint minter then?

RB 182 Cup
i'd rather not spam up the forum with crap like what your writing and keep it to pm to save me the trouble and you the embarrasment. How old are you? grow up, you go on like your 5 or something lol. The number plates my name, dont take a genius.

Mk2 Clio dci
where was it actually leaking from mate? if it was leaking into the inside then it could just be the drain tubes blocked. Remove the sunroof and blow em out with an airline.
If not then thats an ok fix for now, doesnt look outta place.

Clio182, Mini Cooper 1275
Hi there, i have done a fair few sunroof repairs and recently did the same job on my sisters clio. Its a very easy job and shouldnt take more than 10 mins!! and its gonna be free also.
Remove the glass and the rubber seal, clean the rubber seal with warm soapy water, as mentioned before there are drainage holes which become blocked with crud.
Clean the area thoroughly where the bubber seal sits, this will also be mucky and can interfere with the shape of the rubber seal when its in. so with everyting clean and dry apply some vasiline to the rubber seal and the groove where it sits. ( the rubber can become dry and shrink slightly, the vaseline will rehydrate it to a certain extent and form a nice waterproof seal) replace the seal and the glass, test with a hose and bobs your uncle, *****'s you aunt!! This will work 99% of the time.

was that easy or did i miss something?

t3 corolla 116bhp
right, either i phone jeremy kyle and we all go on and sort this or we can do it here.

for those of us who have posted i'll go ahead and make the assumption that we can all read.

now for those of you who bothered to read the WHOLE thread before coming out with a load of "verbal diarrohea", this was the only option i was left with regarding sealing the sunroof.

some of the bolts securung the frame onto the roof would not unscrew, therfore i couldnt get the frame off to do a proper silicone seal on it. Having been advised and also by having a bit of common sense, forcing the frame off in this situation would be more idiotic than some of the posts ive just read - kinking the roof to name a one.

so, with all this in mind, i have tried to make the best of a bad situation and thought i would offer it to those members who might be having similar difficulties.

That is the idea of a forum isnt it???
its not all about pic whoring, anthracite turinis and carbon splitters (no offence to those with them)
so you dont like it. so what? i'm not looking for your approval.
the point is that it serves a bloody good function, its not an ideal situation but its better than having a water feature above my head.

for all those who appreciate the nature of this thread, i appreciate your comments. for all those who dont, dry your eyes ffs and stop whining over it

end of .

Static Low
fucksake. some of you lot in here need to shut the f**k up.

really good bit of patch work just now bud.
money saver at this time of year and it keeps the rain out for just now aswell which is the important thing

Clio v6
A good job with this fix Jonny. I've seen much worse.

Way back in July I notice you posted this?

good effort fella, my 182 doesn't have tut sunruf so I don't know what they look like on clios and on both those pics I cant see where the sunroof ends and the tape starts, in fact i'm not sure which bits are tape, so if you ask me that's a top notch temporary fix! at the end of the day peeling a bit of tape off to get it properly repaired would be a lot easier than picking out silicion! Ignore knobbers on the forum, unfortunately they do exist lol.

M2 Competition
Lol at the arguing.

If the lad sealed his roof shut hows that ruining his car? Many clio's dont come with sunroofs, if i had one id probably seal it shut too as stops the creaking, banging and leaking that the sunroof causes.

Easy to rectify either fix for when you come to sell the car.

Nice work with the tape jonny, looks like you've done a good job!

t3 corolla 116bhp
thanks for that, just to clear up, the sunroof still works perfectly as its should do. i've only sealed it around the frame. its had flood like rain, snow, frost, and not a drop has got through it or damaged the integrity of it. i showed it to a mate of mine who's quite the car enthusiast and told him i'd done somethin to the car and he didnt notice it. it works and thats all i'm concerned about as i'll probably keep it till it stops as it wouldnt pay me to sell it at the moment

J