ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Audi S3 - Nogaro Blue Paint Correction

Clio 182 FF
Hello everyone.

I know this isnt a Clio, but not everyone owns a mint car :cool:

A friend of mine bought a nogaro blue Audi S3 a few weeks ago. 53 reg last of the line model. He didnt really know much about detailing etc and he thought the car was pretty clean.

Anyways after me and my mate Sean_Rae "fellow CS member" had a scout about it, we seen that it was far from fantastic. Swirl city was robing the paint of its true depth and colour, the swirls had almost made a fog over the paint, so cloudy and lifeless.

I did a little test patch on the car to show the owner what i meant, obviously he was over the moon and booked it the car in for a full refinement.

Products Used

Juicy Snow Foam
Chemical Guys Wash and Wax
Autosmart Tardis
Billbury
Iron X
Bilt and Hammer Auto Clay
Kestral DAS 6 Pro
Yellow, Orange and Blue Hexlogic pads
Menzerna power gloss and final finish
Dodo juice blue Velvet
Chemical Guys Blitz
Zano Z6

After claying the car etc, i noticed that the car has had a bit of paint in its life. So i had to tread carefully as i wasnt 100% sure what i was dealing with, and without a PTG slow and steady was the shout.

The whole thing took the best part of 2 days to do and was pretty intense work... but the end result was worth it.

Ive put all the Pics and videos on the link below... its like 8 mins long but gives a good idea what the crack was through the 2 days

The owner was really pleased with the results and i was happy to have the car like it should have when it left the dealers.

thanks for looking

Last edited by a moderator:
  Seat Ibiza
Awesome job buddy. How did you use IronX, I bought some recently (and opened inside the house...crist, never again) but read you can use it on paint, did you use it all over before claying? Just the same as you would on a wheel?

Clio 182 FF
Awesome job buddy. How did you use IronX, I bought some recently (and opened inside the house...crist, never again) but read you can use it on paint, did you use it all over before claying? Just the same as you would on a wheel?

Yeah, Iron X is smelly stuff... apparently it used to smell worse before they bought out the "squashed flowers" scent..haha.

The whole purpose of iron x is to basically loosen / desolve contaminents in the paint. if you spray it on a panel and leave it for a couple of mins you will see the crap in the paint turn purple and basically bleed out the car.

How i normally apply is, after i rinse, snowfoam, rinse, 2BM, rinse the car. when it is still wet i go round the car with the iron X and by the time your back round to the first panel the iron x will be well under way of doing it thing.

I dont know if its technically correct applying it to a wet car, but you dont really want to be letting iron X dry on your paint, so the way i do it works for me and i get good results from it.

I normally let the product do its thing for about 5 mins depending on weather and rinse thoroughly. then the next step would be to clay the car...

Using iron x makes claying so much easier, try it out... just remember not to let it dry on the paint and you should be onto a winner..

Hope this helps.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Nice job mate, i'm guessing you use Tardis before the iron x?

+2?

Looks good. Few more direct sunlight shots of the finish to show off your abilities next time my friend! And your mate has good taste in cars, but poor taste in colours ;) (I jest, I actually had Noggy blue in my mind until the red un popped up).

Seat Ibiza
Yeah, Iron X is smelly stuff... apparently it used to smell worse before they bought out the "squashed flowers" scent..haha.

The whole purpose of iron x is to basically loosen / desolve contaminents in the paint. if you spray it on a panel and leave it for a couple of mins you will see the crap in the paint turn purple and basically bleed out the car.

How i normally apply is, after i rinse, snowfoam, rinse, 2BM, rinse the car. when it is still wet i go round the car with the iron X and by the time your back round to the first panel the iron x will be well under way of doing it thing.

I dont know if its technically correct applying it to a wet car, but you dont really want to be letting iron X dry on your paint, so the way i do it works for me and i get good results from it.

I normally let the product do its thing for about 5 mins depending on weather and rinse thoroughly. then the next step would be to clay the car...

Using iron x makes claying so much easier, try it out... just remember not to let it dry on the paint and you should be onto a winner..

Hope this helps.

Ah yeah, spot on mate, thanks for the reply!!
Btw, the S3 looks mint :)
One thing I have noticed with that IronX is you don't need much, is this right or am I just being tight (As its not cheap)

Not a 320d
NO not really. Spreads a long way. I tend to do wheels with a few sprays and wipe it round with a brush. But i do about 2 applications with it per wheel.

Clio 182 FF

+2?

Looks good. Few more direct sunlight shots of the finish to show off your abilities next time my friend! And your mate has good taste in cars, but poor taste in colours ;) (I jest, I actually had Noggy blue in my mind until the red un popped up).

Nope, ive just put it in the wrong place in the list DOH...

I use the iron X first, and any tar spots that remain i put the tardis on it "i dont tend to use the tardis all over the car as i think its a really strong product... i dont know if thats the right way to do things but any input would be appriciated.

The whole car wasnt perfect when finished, i would say about an 80% enhancemnt was achived. there was so many RDS etc and tbh, im not at the level where im confident wet sanding a car. Im not doing at a business, just more of a hobby to pay for products im using.

Gally, i seen your Puma on DW, looked impressive to say the least.

Last edited:

Hope this helps.

Now I am curious how the squashed flowers scent smells. I think I never smelled it. Generally I love the scent of flowers but this is only true for fresh flowers. Besides this I also love the scent of dried flowers. So I often order the cheapest Serenata flowers online and then dry them at home and finally put them in my car. This scent is fantastic but as I said I now want to smell squashed flowers.