ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Australian RS2'd 172

Clio 172
Alrighty, so this isn't the first time I'm posting photos - but it's had a somewhat major change so I think it's worthwhile starting a new one.

The important spec list atm is as follows: JMS RS2 inlet, RSTuner Custom Map, Bilstein B14, Wilwood 4 pots, Whiteline ARB, 100 cell metal cat, K-Tec Supersport Recessed.

HA2P8460.jpg

HA2P8354.jpg

HA2P8357.jpg

IMG_8447.jpg

IMG_8557.jpg

IMG_8560.jpg

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Nice car :approve:. Just to warn you you need one more bolt in your engine mount, there should be 3. This bolt dosent come with the RS2 kit so you need to source one, have a look on my project page and you'll see what I mean

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Car Looks Great!

Nice car :approve:. Just to warn you you need one more bolt in your engine mount, there should be 3. This bolt dosent come with the RS2 kit so you need to source one, have a look on my project page and you'll see what I mean

The 'Missing bolt' is the one that goes through the mount into the the original inlet AFAIK, so putting the bolt through isnt going to secure the mount any more than not running it from what i have been told, mines not got the bolt in either.

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Car Looks Great!

The 'Missing bolt' is the one that goes through the mount into the the original inlet AFAIK, so putting the bolt through isnt going to secure the mount any more than not running it from what i have been told, mines not got the bolt in either.

I think theres a piece of metal which is attached to the engine underneath it though, so you need a bolt with a nut on the other side to secure it. Danny from 519 spotted it on mine and he quoted that the engine mounts can break because they are under additional strain with only two bolts?

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I think theres a piece of metal which is attached to the engine underneath it though, so you need a bolt with a nut on the other side to secure it. Danny from 519 spotted it on mine and he quoted that the engine mounts can break because they are under additional strain with only two bolts?

Ah fair enough, Ill have a look at mine

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Car Looks Great!

you were told wrong. there's a lot of strength lost by running like this. you can see the cambelt cover bend just by pulling on the engine by hand, imagine what happens under acceleration

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
you were told wrong. there's a lot of strength lost by running like this. you can see the cambelt cover bend just by pulling on the engine by hand, imagine what happens under acceleration

Over 25 cars running without it and we've not had any reports of cars developing a fault, We even had a car running sprint sessions with no issue's, mine, Toms & Nick also did countless track days between us with no issue's! There's no reason you couldn't put a bolt through it if you felt there was an issue, I've only fitted them for cosmetic reasons in the past. Did wonder how long it would be before you had to voice something negative Danny, surprised you have held back so long to be honest

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Tbh mine has seen 3 figures a few times and I've not noted any issues, mounts got to come off to be painted anyway so one less bolt for me to undo.

May sling a bolt in for 'cosmetics' if I can find it in my box of bits, but as James said all the RS2'ed cars I have seen have run without.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Don't all the ITB'd 1*2s run without this bolt?

no. Every kit I've fitted has re-enforced the mounting. I've seen 2 fail, both on track. One even pulled the 2 long studs from the head out. I demonstrated the amount of flex to Jay and Tony, they promptly cut up a standard lower inlet to get the standard bolting points back

if you have a look at the ktec kit, at the left of the main kit picture you can see a machined block. This is their solution and it's really a very tidy one. http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=3633&appid=2

Last edited:
  Clio 172
Thanks for all the comments guys!

I'd rather we not go ahead and have an argument between traders on the pro/con's of leaving the bolt out, leave that for another thread. It will be going in more for cosmetic reasons more than anything. Will be painting the upper mount and rocker cover at some stage too in order to neaten it up.

I need to get around to loosening the manifold bolts a bit and pushing the right side of the gasket down a bit as it's sitting too high. I found it extremely difficult to line up and fit the manifold (a second pair of hands would have been handy). My inlet ports are exactly the same size as the gasket so it needs to be lined up perfectly.

Other thing I've got is a modified throttle body to try out. Has a knife-edged butterfly and the inlet side has the ridge smoothed out.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you do that with the throttle body, can you log AFRs before and after, that should tell you if its helped flow or not.
To see any benefit from it if it does help airflow you will of course need a remap though on a speed/density based setup like the clio 172 runs as unlike cars with airflow meters the ECU will be unaware of the difference (same reason an RS2 doesnt work properly without a remap either i the first place)

M2 Comp
how do you find the handling? you have a very similar (almost identical!!) setup to what I'm looking to go for.....

Nice car btw :)

Clio 172
If you do that with the throttle body, can you log AFRs before and after, that should tell you if its helped flow or not.
To see any benefit from it if it does help airflow you will of course need a remap though on a speed/density based setup like the clio 172 runs as unlike cars with airflow meters the ECU will be unaware of the difference (same reason an RS2 doesnt work properly without a remap either i the first place)

As I have no easy way of measuring AFR's, my comparison will be purely based on RSTuner Data Logs and hoping there's a measurable difference.

how do you find the handling? you have a very similar (almost identical!!) setup to what I'm looking to go for.....

Nice car btw :)

What can I say? It handles like it's on rails and is very neutral. Takes a bit of provoking to get it out of shape.

HATE the wheels..

Rest of the car looks great!

You'd be the first person to dislike the wheels. How can you hate Ultraleggeras? HOW!?!